Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 267301 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Changing of Hands
« Reply #540 on: November 25, 2013, 04:38:59 am »

"Perhaps Liz can work her hat magic on them..."

Wait until hats are summoned, wait until Herbert has a lead, and then go find whoever he points us towards for the deed.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 26, 2013, 03:12:48 pm »

Larry, upon perceiving a solicitation for him to provide hats to pay the man, gladly obliges.

"Well, then hats off to you! Bwa bwa bwa!" he says, busting out some of the crappiest laughter anyone's heard today and waving his right hand in a vaguely magical fashion while looking generally witchy and sinister.

[Larry's affinity roll: 5+1]

A pile of nice-looking hats materializes right in front of Herbert - there's a remarkable assortment there, actually. Stylish-looking trilbies, cowboy hats, fezzes, skullcaps, derbies, fedoras, top hats and more can be seen sticking out from the sizable pile. Herbert retreats a step from the pile, visibly shocked by the way physics don't quite seem to apply to the world today.

"Uhm... okay..."

"Perhaps Liz can work her hat magic on them..." Halesey suggests, looking at Elizabeth, who pays no attention, busy with what may be deep thoughts or just a complete detachment from reality. Wonder when she's going to snap out of it.

"Well, these hats will surely do nicely... but which factory was it you're looking for? I don't quite recall you mentioning that, I'm afraid."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 26, 2013, 03:17:06 pm »

"Yeah, sure..."

Grab the swankest looking top hat.  Give him the address (or at least describe the location).
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 26, 2013, 04:04:17 pm »

"It was the... uh... I'll have to pass you over to Larry for this one, sorry Herbert. I'm not very good with locations either, I'm afraid. I guess we could take you there if necessary? You mind if I also take a hat? You never know, might need one."

Cast Rain of Shampoo whilst no one is looking.

edit: I mean Rain of Shampoo, not the other way around.
edit 2: I'd been copying a sheet where I hadn't added the one stat point we got...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 04:07:31 pm by lawastooshort »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 26, 2013, 10:44:18 pm »

More like reign of shampoo, am I right?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 29, 2013, 07:55:52 am »

Larry looks at the nearby pile of hats, his nostrils flaring as they are hit by the telltale scent of sudden materialization. It's like the smell of ozone, but more magical and exciting, if one can believe such a thing to exist. As he greedily goes for a red-and-black top hat lying underneath a decadent-looking beret, he hears Halesey fail to give any sort of location to the man.

"It was the... uh... I'll have to pass you over to Larry for this one, sorry Herbert. I'm not very good with locations either, I'm afraid. I guess we could take you there if necessary? You mind if I also take a hat? You never know, might need one."

"Of course. Take any hats that you like, sir!" Herbert replies nervously as he watches Larry secure his share of the spoils. Larry, seeing that people once again absolutely require his expertise, gladly provides it.

"Yeah, sure... it was... hm. It was somewhere. Pretty sure, yeah. And it looks like an abandoned factory," Larry explains laconically, eying his new treasure distractedly.

"That's a little... um... well, not that I can't work with that, but it's a little... vague. I'm sorry. Could you be, uh, clearer? Please? Unless you mind."

This, Halesey believes, is an opportunity he cannot neglect. Liz is adventuring inside her own head, Larry is consumed by hat-related euphoria and Herbert is trying to submissively extract information. Everyone is distracted but him. Time for shenanigans. He looks out the window and, like a certain dinosaur-summoner before him, tries to bend the very atmosphere to his will.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 1-->2]

Something goes wrong, however! Halesey feels an odd burning sensation in his eyes all of a sudden, and his eyes begin to water. He blinks a few times and grimaces, but it only starts to burn more. He puts his hands to his eyes and tries to rub them, and this is when he becomes aware that something is even wronger than previously suspected. What little he can see of his hands paints a disturbing picture - they are covered in a bubbly, whitish substance of some kind.

As the burning becomes ever more pronounced, Halesey can bear it no longer. He stops blinking and closes his eyes. It burns less that way.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 29, 2013, 08:51:03 am »

"Did anyone get the fat guy's number?  I think he had the address.  Or we could just walk him there?"

Call fat guy if anyone comes up with number.  Lead the agent there if not.  Concentrate on ley line for guidance if needed.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 29, 2013, 09:05:16 am »

"Crap. I think someone's cursed my face or something. Larry, look at me. What the eejiting hell is happening to my face?"

Ask and await description, whilst pondering if I can do anything about my burning eyes, which presumably have shampoo leaking out of and into them. Blast.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 29, 2013, 09:13:35 am »

((May I suggest just putting the thing into an action if you want to tell the guy where is the place?))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 29, 2013, 10:05:58 am »

Larry wonders if this is the only thing he's totally blanked on. Maybe they should call the fat guy.

"Did anyone get the fat guy's number?  I think he had the address.  Or we could just walk him there?"

Nobody is forthcoming with any phone numbers, though. And Halesey looks more distracted than usual. His eyes also seem to be full of soapy-looking white stuff. Some of it is running down his cheeks.

"Crap. I think someone's cursed my face or something. Larry, look at me. What the eejiting hell is happening to my face?"

Larry, though an educated, cultured man, isn't sure how to explain this exactly. His first instinct would be to say that Halesey is crying soap for some reason. And by some reason, he means "magic", because it is not only the simplest explanation that is always available, it has also gained shocking validity after today's events.

Halesey, who has no opportunity to survey what is happening to his face, unlike Larry, wonders what he could possibly do about it. He supposes he could wait for it to pass. Or he could dunk his head in milk, that might work as well. Or he could do this the proper, and some would say only worthwhile way, with the assistance of a potato vortex. After all, potato vortexes have so far been the solution to every problem. Halesey sees no reason why he should go against common wisdom, really.

Unaware of Halesey's predictable thought process, Larry decides to lead Herbert over to the factory, which isn't really very far at all, just a couple blocks away. Larry silently leads Herbert over there and points at the building.

"Oh, that place! 17 Import Avenue! I think I actually know the guy who owns it. I think I have his name written down someplace in my office. Let's, um, go back there, yes? I'm not feeling very good about leaving Mr. Halesey back there all alone."

As the rather awful Saturday afternoon begins to draw to a close, many people of all walks of life are running down the tree-lined Harper Avenue. Shouts of triumph and screams of terror mingle together as the procession storms through the streets, carried by the spirit of panic and recent freedom, and also the fact that there's dinosaurs. Goddamn dinosaurs running about, yeah, that too. They don't seem overly concerned with eating all human life yet, but can you really trust the feathered fiends? The group of doctors over at Sweet Temperance Sanitarium clearly didn't, running off and evacuating like they did. At least they left the doors open.

Willy is particularly glad. He never liked those doctors. They were mean to him the entire time he was there. They treated him even worse than the Human Skeleton or Crazy Tim. Well, they kinda treated him the same, really, except they were smug and patronizing about it to an unusual degree. Fortunately, that's over now. Now he gets to open up a new page on his life, one with fewer mean doctors that keep telling him wrong things and lies all the time.

As Willy runs as quickly as his legs will allow, he becomes aware of a pair of hands grabbing him from behind. They are familiar hands. Their rather coarse, spindly texture and the profound lack of manners they display both quickly betray that they belong to none other than Hungry Pete, the funny man who once lived in the room next to Willy.

"Come with me, boy! I have secrets I wish to reveal!" Hungry Pete declares, tugging at Willy's shoulders and trying to get him away from the crowd. Willy wonders if he needs an adult right now.

Nah, who is he kidding. He doesn't need adults. Billy's always there to give him sound advice.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 29, 2013, 10:18:41 am »

Hmm... I am not yet become one with the potato... It has, after all, only been a single day of tuberlar communing... And I have not yet sacrifi-

Er... what?

Halesey snaps back to the soap-teared present as Larry and Herbert walk back.

”Dude, I’m bloody well crying soap… no, wait. Shampoo. Crap.”

If I rinse them with water it’ll probably foam up… but you should always rinse with cold fresh water, right?”

”Hey Herbert, where’s the bathroom? I need to rinse this shampoo out of my eyes…”

Presuming Herbert answers, go to bathroom and rinse eyes profusely.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 29, 2013, 07:07:29 pm »

"Willy doesn't need a big bad grown up tell me what to do!"

"Yeah, you tell 'em Willy! Billy's the only friend you'll ever need. But he has secrets! Billy likes secrets!"

"Really? Fiiine, but this is gonna be your early birthday present!"

Go with the man. Try to grab something sharp or heavy along the way, juuust in case.

Nah, who is he kidding. He doesn't need adults. Billy's always there to give him sound advice.

Hahahaha.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 29, 2013, 10:20:32 pm »

Larry just snorts at Halesey.  "So... about that factory, yeah?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 30, 2013, 03:33:16 am »

Halesey, distracted by potatoes in his mind, hardly even notices the absence of Larry right up until the moment he and Herbert return.

"So, now that that's cleared up, I can-"

”Dude, I’m bloody well crying soap… no, wait. Shampoo. Crap.”

Larry looks at him, but Halesey can't really see that. Instead, he only hears Herbert.

"Uh... oh, sorry! So sorry for not helping!  What can I do?"

”Hey Herbert, where’s the bathroom? I need to rinse this shampoo out of my eyes…”

Herbert stammers for a moment, but comes up with an answer.

"It's right over the- no, wait, you can't see, right? Sorry. Let me take you there," he says, hurriedly leading Halesey to a nearby door and opening it. "The sink is to your right, sir!" he says, then gets back to Larry.

"So... about that factory, yeah?" Larry asks him.

"RIGHT! YES! Of course!" Herbert says, scrambling into his office and starting to dig through his filing cabinets. After a moment, he produces a file, which he hands to Larry. "Here you go!"

Willy is momentarily conflicted about going with this fellow. While Hungry Pete isn't the worst sort, he's still trying to tell Willy what to do. And he can't have that.

"Willy doesn't need a big bad grown up tell me what to do!"

"Yeah, you tell 'em Willy! Billy's the only friend you'll ever need. But he has secrets! Billy likes secrets!" the voice of reason within him then replies to the statement, interrupting something totally unimportant Hungry Pete had to say in response.

"Really? Fiiine, but this is gonna be your early birthday present!" Willy complies. After all, even if Hungry Pete doesn't have his best interests in mind, Willy's ready. He has at least three razor sharp shivs placed in various strategic places on his patient's clothes, plus two others that he hasn't been keeping such good track of, but he's pretty sure he's got somewhere on him. So he finally starts to follow the irritable fellow, who leads him to an alley. Once they stop, Hungry Pete takes a deep breath, then exhales slowly.

"Child, it is very important that you take what I will give you seriously! The power flows through me, and soon it will flow through you as well - you know the truth, and the truth will set you free. Take this. Read it. Understand it!"

Hungry Pete produces something that looks like a booklet, with the words "Sweet Temperance" violently crossed out on its cover.

"Open it, let the truth sink in!"
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:33:04 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 30, 2013, 03:44:32 am »

I'm going to PTW and maybe eventually get an application card filled out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 244