Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 266815 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Making of a Sanctum
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2013, 02:59:07 pm »

((Dwarmin I'm pretty sure you need to put the skirt on and leap, say off the bed, and I'm pretty sure you will fly. Sleep deprivation is almost as good as drugs on a cognitive level.))

((Damn it, I only have so much space in my sig.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2013, 03:25:46 am »

Halesey, considering that the knocking does nothing, tries just opening the door. Sadly, it is locked. Hm. Halesey supposes that there is one practical solution to this issue - he will open it harder!

[Halesey's body roll: 5]

With his mighty running shoe, he kicks at the door. He is somewhat surprised when his foot goes right through the thing, leaving a large hole. Huh. Guess a few decades of neglect and acidic conditions will do that to a metallic object. Halesey widens the hole a little with a few more kicks, then pokes his head and arms in.

Ah, it seems to have a bolt on it. Halesey unbolts the door, then opens it right up, stepping into the room. He immediately comes face-to-face with a very skinny, bearded man whose general looks remind Halesey of an Asian Jesus, albeit a version that evidently likes to hit the hooch a bit more than one would expect from a bringer of righteous salvation.

"Whoa whoa whoa. Why'd you do that, man? I was gonna open up!"

Kat, somewhat confused, walks over to her bathroom, trying to ignore the whooshing noises that are comparable to those of a massive prehistoric beast beating its savage wings nearby. She deposits the skirt on the tiled floor, at which point she hears that sandpapery sound combined with the swooping sound. Gazing at the skirt suspiciously, she steps out of the bathroom and closes the door. Both of these processes make no suspicious sounds, fortunately enough.

Moments feel like minutes as Kat wonders if something else might happen. Before long, something does. It sounds not unlike the landing gear of several airliners pressing down on tarmac.

Larry, realizing that there is probably some really bad blood between this guy and him, tries to quickly scurry away into the swirling potatoes before he is seen.

[Larry's body roll: 5-1]

Fortunately, Larry's survival instincts prove true as he half-clambers, half-dives away, reaching what he presumes to be safety or at least privacy within moments. Man, he's pretty sure each and every muscle in his body is going to hurt like hell the next morning. If there is a next morning, that is.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2013, 03:29:25 am »

"Whoa, sorry bro, I guess I just thought no one was coming and it's been a long and weird day, man. Can I come in and crash on the floor somewhere?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2013, 03:31:32 am »

((I was mostly checking if the sound was somewhat muffled behind the door))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2013, 03:36:45 am »

((I was mostly checking if the sound was somewhat muffled behind the door))

It is... a little. Almost imperceptibly, considering how loud it is.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2013, 03:55:31 am »

((I guess it's just a skirt emitting a very loud noise. Or something.

Well, I'm completely lost as to what to do any more.))

Action: Kat tries to magically lower the loudness of the skirt.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2013, 01:24:43 pm »

Well, not much else to do at it.

"Okay, book, we'll do it your way.  Lay some more magic on me."

Get magic laid on me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 21, 2013, 01:41:59 pm »

((Every time I check this thread I have already missed an update. Hot damn.))

"Hm... nah, not buying anything today. Kinda feeling lucky now, though. Let's do this magic thing again..."

Onwards to my apartment. Once arrived, sit down, get a tea and start a binder reading session - exchange mental greetings and see whether the counterpart's in the mood of bouncing a few new spells off me. No questions, don't stress her - just try and get her comfortable.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »

Halesey, confronted with the vaguely messianic squatter, just goes with a half-truth rather than a full-on lie.

"Whoa, sorry bro, I guess I just thought no one was coming and it's been a long and weird day, man. Can I come in and crash on the floor somewhere?"

"Uh... sure? We've got, like, food, too. Hungry?"

That's awfully kind of the guy, Halesey thinks. Guess not all squatters are total assholes!

Meanwhile, back in Kat's apartment, magic happens! Or Kat hopes it might happen, at least. She tries to intuit a way to lower the loudness of her skirt, but is woefully unsuccessful, as she notices when the fly that had settled down on it flies away, which makes the same aircraft landing sound, but in reverse.

In yet more distressing circumstances, Larry caves in to the pressure of his obnoxiously loud companion.

"Okay, book, we'll do it your way.  Lay some more magic on me."

He places his face firmly into the book and hopes for the best.

[Larry's mind roll: 3+1]

The magic does indeed happen, though not quite like before - Larry supposes it makes sense. After all, you can't just storm through power levels like it was nothing. Power levels have to have some kind of gravitas, you know? Otherwise, before you know it, you go over nine thousand and it just gets more ridiculous from there with the serial escalation.

Elizabeth, not in the mood for either sacred ebonics or edutainment, heads on home without buying anything. She thinks one of the clerks at the store may have given her a mildly desperate look. She wouldn't blame him - she was there for over an hour, and she did not see another soul browsing anything.

In any case, she decides to go for a spot of tea once back in her safe little den, followed by a little study time. She greets the book mentally.

~ah. hello. so, are you going to get some spells?~

Elizabeth confirms that this is indeed the case.

~excellent. was becoming a tad antsy. magical powers go and all that.~

[Elizabeth's mind roll: 4+1]

Before Elizabeth can fire off another thought, the book sends a stream of rather off-putting nonsense into her brain. Elizabeth handles it about as well as can be expected - used to inconsistency in her associate, she does her best to fish out usable bits of power from the chaos. And she does seem to have succeeded most admirably.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »

Pigeon barrier sounds good, thanks. Now then, what shall we do...

Keep the mental connection open, but don't do anything. Leave the initiative to... her, and go along with whatever she does.

Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2013, 02:45:10 pm »

((I'll try to reply better tomorrow from pc))

Thank the dude and try my best to fix the damaged door. Accept offer of food and chat with the squatters about nothing in particular. If I get a moment free alone wander about and try to feel the power of the leyline.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:05 pm »

Larry knew that meth-heads were bad news.  They often came in to the 7-11 where he worked and messed things up.  Tea it was.

"Hit me with some tea, boss.  That mug spell can go."

Replace coffee with tea.  Fire it off.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2013, 03:41:03 am »

Action: Kat tries to magically lower the loudness of the skirt

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 22, 2013, 02:10:31 pm »

Elizabeth considers her spell choices for a second or two.

Pigeon barrier sounds good, thanks. Now then, what shall we do...

The voice doesn't immediately reply.

~are you asking me?~

Elizabeth vaguely affirms that the voice is free to make suggestions, at any rate.

~more magic, then? good to have more magic.~

A bit disappointing, but Elizabeth supposes it couldn't hurt.

~let's go, then.~

[Elizabeth's mind roll: 3+1]

A round of moderately disturbing imagery later, Elizabeth feels like she has yet another choice ahead of her.

There is a moment of quiet as Elizabeth wonders whether magic is the only way she can relate to the voice. And whether the voice wonders about the same thing.

Halesey quickly thanks the guy for allowing him to crash here. However, just as he is about to go on his business, he recalls that he kind of did bust out the door. So he should fix it like a good houseguest, right? He looks around, easily locating a handy plate of scrap metal, a brick and what may have been perfectly good nails some fifteen years ago. He then nails the plate over the hole, supposing it's a pretty good fix, all things considered.

"Nice work, dude!" the Jesus-lookalike says, which Halesey can't help but feel a little proud about. At this point, he accepts the offer of food, and his new friend takes him over to a pretty nice fire they've got going on the factory floor - there's six people grouped around it, four guys and two women, all looking to be of various ages and origins. One of them has a pretty old-looking guitar, but he isn't the one who stands out the most. The one who stands out the most is one of the women - she, unlike her comrades, appears to be a big fan of dressing in a business casual manner. In addition, she looks less unclean. They look a tad perplexed when the Jesus-man takes Halesey over to them.

"Hey, guys, this guy wants to stay here a while."

The others nod and murmur in assent, apart from the unusual woman, who eyeballs Halesey suspiciously.

"I think you're good, man," the friendly fellow says, seating Halesey in a fairly nonchalant fashion and fetching a can of something called "Tourists' Breakfast", then handing it to him along with a can opener that's seen better days. Halesey looks at the group of people. Aside from the woman, they don't really look back.

Still in the potato dimension, Larry tries a nice spell.

[Larry's affinity roll: 5+1]

As he summons up the power of telescopic tea, whatever that is, his right hand glows with a suspiciously pleasing golden brown light. For some reason, he wants to touch something with it.

Kat, not sure that the skirt heard her over the sound of its own awfulness, tries again. Her mind is centered on the skirt, and, in one incredibly charged second, she shushes it. She shushes it like a librarian would shush her most hated enemy, with enough intensity to strike a full-grown man mute for at least an hour, if not more. The skirt glows for a moment, then stops doing so. Hm. Wonder what that did exactly.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 22, 2013, 03:46:16 pm »

Halesey eats, realising how hungry all the weird stuff that's happened today has made him. He isn't sure exactly what's in his tin, but it doesn't matter - although he's briefly interested to know if there's any beans in it... Afterwards, he just wants a rest. Besides, it seems like just fitting in might be the best way to get that woman's evil eye off of him. She looked dressed kinda too smart for round here, although she wasn't exactly pristine.

It made Halesey wonder what he looked like after his day as he went over to find out where was best to sleep.

He had no idea what he was going to do, but somehow he had to find that leyline. Or just dump the damn folder and be done with this crap, but then what if someone even less mentally stable than him found it?

The thought kept going round and round as he tried to rest. That and the woman's strange look.

Finish eating. Make sure folder is well hidden under all clothes next to skin. Politely ask nearest mumbler where I can crash on the floor without getting in the way. Sleep if possible.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 244