Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 266745 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Ooh, Magic!
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21:07 am »

"These seem to be very organized squatters..." Kat says, heading to the front door of the factory and knocking on it.

Action: Knock knock!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Making of a Sanctum
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2013, 10:12:13 am »

"Hmm. Wonder if they like potatoes? Or... damn. I wonder if they like being potatoes? Hmm. Do you think knocking is the best thing? If I was in there, which, you know, I wouldn't be, I might think you were the cops... Anyway."

Take a look around the exterior.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Ooh, Magic!
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2013, 10:24:31 am »

Larry nods.  "He's got a point- why knock when we can just bust in and claim our birthright?  I'm sure one of you can shoot lightning or chuck fire by now- a flick of that, a blast of fans, maybe a few raptors, and they'll be gone for good.  Once we do that we can go about turning this into a floating doom castle or whatever."

If the knock isn't answered, break and enter.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2013, 10:47:00 am »

"Oh, and these beans. They, you know, the alcoholic that hobos like, or that hobos might be? Coz they could be useful..."

Adjust action: take two beans in hand and try to displace them using magic whilst waiting for the door to be answered. Try to displace them somewhere safe, like the floor.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2013, 11:24:37 am »

"Bleh. We're getting ourselves in a real mess here, I can feel it. What are we gonna do? Charge in, wands blazing? We don't know how many people there are inside, don't know the layout of this place and all the wonderful little hiding spots, don't know what kind of improvised weaponry we could face, don't know what kind of spiteful friends they may have, don't know anything about the consequences of our actions -- oh, fine. Kick the door in. I'm sure everything's going to be alright."

Wait in the rear. Discreetly conjure some lottery tickets, just in case a distraction is needed...

Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2013, 12:11:16 pm »

Larry rolled his eyes.  "Well of course we go in like we own the place, because we do!  They just haven't been told yet.  What, you have a better idea?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2013, 12:54:41 pm »

"Well, I'd have preferred to take a more... lawful approach to the whole thing? You know, never even considering storming a factory, the home of some people at this point, evicting them, making grudges, just because leylines? I'd just have rented a flat right next to the factory. Leylines should still be pretty strong there. Perhaps gone for an arrangement with the squatters - you give us free reign in the basement and don't disturb ever, and we pay in lottery tickets. Or potatoes. Or dinosaur meat. Or, hell, alcoholic beans. Actually, now that I think of it, that sounds like a pretty cool idea. Shame that I got it a bit late..."

"Anyway. I respect whatever's the majority decision here, because we're in this magic thing together. Don't expect me to be enthusiastic about it, though."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2013, 12:58:12 pm »

Larry scoffs.  "Lawful?  Really?  We are above the law now.  But fine, if some silly sense of morals compels you to do this the-" air quotes "NICE way, then why don't you shoot a pile of lottery tickets over there and tell them to have at it?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2013, 01:03:55 pm »

Kat notes a particularly interesting fact about the building, namely that it seems to be inhabited by awfully responsible people.

"These seem to be very organized squatters..."

Following this train of thought, she heads over to what she thinks might be the front door. Well, a loading dock, at any rate. The point is, she knocks on it.

"Hmm. Wonder if they like potatoes? Or... damn. I wonder if they like being potatoes? Hmm. Do you think knocking is the best thing? If I was in there, which, you know, I wouldn't be, I might think you were the cops... Anyway," Halesey says quite confusingly and confusedly, looking at the factory. Looks like it has a whole bunch of entrances - at least three out front and probably a back one as well, he'd bet. However, that sort of information is not very useful right now, since Kat's already knocked and everything and...

Hm. He supposes he'll just displace two of his nine beans to help pass the time.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 1-->6-1]

He concentrates on the beans, and they do indeed disappear! Halesey feels rather good for a moment until they reappear in his nose, causing him to react with the loudest and probably most painful sneeze of his life, followed by two beans being rapidly ejected from his nostrils.

Well, could have been worse, he guesses - they could have appeared in his brain or something. That would have been a hoot and a half.

Larry, glancing at the solemnly waiting Kat, offers words of his own on the matter, supporting the rather indisposed Halesey's idea.

"He's got a point - why knock when we can just bust in and claim our birthright?  I'm sure one of you can shoot lightning or chuck fire by now - a flick of that, a blast of fans, maybe a few raptors, and they'll be gone for good.  Once we do that we can go about turning this into a floating doom castle or whatever."

"Oh, and these beans. They, you know, the alcoholic that hobos like, or that hobos might be? Coz they could be useful..."

Elizabeth, also hanging back for the time being, decides to snark a little for the common good while trying to conjure some lottery tickets.

[Elizabeth's affinity roll: 5+1]

A sizable pile of lottery tickets appears at her feet after she concentrates her will in arcane ways most mortals can only begin to comprehend. They smell magnificent.

"Bleh. We're getting ourselves in a real mess here, I can feel it. What are we gonna do? Charge in, wands blazing? We don't know how many people there are inside, don't know the layout of this place and all the wonderful little hiding spots, don't know what kind of improvised weaponry we could face, don't know what kind of spiteful friends they may have, don't know anything about the consequences of our actions -- oh, fine. Kick the door in. I'm sure everything's going to be alright."

"Well, of course we go in like we own the place, because we do!  They just haven't been told yet.  What, you have a better idea?"

"Well, I'd have preferred to take a more... lawful approach to the whole thing? You know, never even considering storming a factory, the home of some people at this point, evicting them, making grudges, just because leylines? I'd just have rented a flat right next to the factory. Leylines should still be pretty strong there. Perhaps gone for an arrangement with the squatters - you give us free reign in the basement and don't disturb ever, and we pay in lottery tickets. Or potatoes. Or dinosaur meat. Or, hell, alcoholic beans. Actually, now that I think of it, that sounds like a pretty cool idea. Shame that I got it a bit late..."

"Anyway. I respect whatever's the majority decision here, because we're in this magic thing together. Don't expect me to be enthusiastic about it, though."

"Lawful?  Really?  We are above the law now.  But fine, if some silly sense of morals compels you to do this the NICE way, then why don't you shoot a pile of lottery tickets over there and tell them to have at it?"

And while they chat, a rather large, skeletal-looking man who appears to have suffered from extreme chemical burns at some point in the past (they appear to have healed somewhat, though he's still... erm... missing bits) opens up the door to the loading dock, staring at Kat with mildly glassy eyes.

"What do you want, lady? This ain't a good place for you to be," he says, looking mildly concerned, particularly after noticing the three undesirables hanging around nearby.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:15 pm »

"Well, to put it simply, I and all my friends need...magic. We know this place...well, we've been told it's important as a base of operations...for magicians...er, magic users. Something about lines under the ground. I'm frankly new to all this.

Anway, I don't really trust the fat man to tell us the entire truth. And if you know what I am, do you think we might be able to figure something out? Again, I'm completely lost here, but at least one of my group is on a power trip and refuses to come down."

Kat blushed quite visibly, knowing everything she said was problem a euphemism for buying drugs.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2013, 01:37:21 pm »

Larry rolled his eyes.  "Oh sure, that sounds believable.  Hey guy, there's a big pile of lottery tickets there for you and all your buddies if you get out.  If not, well, you hear about those dinosaurs?  Guess what we're gonna fill this place with if you don't leave?  So your call, we do this easy or hard."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2013, 03:17:21 pm »

((seriously comrades, let me try this))

Halesey decides he doesn't have anything useful to add at the moment, although he wonders if there isn't another way... a way between fear and fumbling, a... a third way. He offers an alcoholic bean.

"Look, dude, don't pay attention to these two - well, not yet. They're just feeling a bit weird cos they were totally off their faces a few hours ago and it hasn't worn off yet. Seriously - try one of these, they make you feel pretty damn good. Make you see stuff too. The real high takes a while to come on, but the visions? That comes pretty damn quick. All feckin' organic too if you care about that shit."

Offer an alcoholic bean to the man.

If he takes it, as soon as he swallows it summon a small potato vortex a safe distance away from some scrap material or brick or something like that. Point out the massive hallucination the man is enjoying. Then point out that if he cooperates with us, there are a hell of a lot more where they came from.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2013, 04:29:04 pm »

Elizabeth stared blankly, then blinked, then stared some more. Truly, her team mates had this situation under control so she didn't have to do anything. Well, if she tried to chime in the situation would just get more confusing for everyone.

Instead, she decided to go for a little experiment. Could she... sense... magic happening? As some sort of weird-ass disturbances in the great weave of fate? Or the mysterious ley line she perhaps was just standing on? If anything, that should be easy enough providing that such a feat was possible at all. So, worth a try.

Try to mentally sense the ley line. Try to not look like a druggie while doing this.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2013, 12:17:28 pm »

"Well, to put it simply, I and all my friends need... magic. We know this place... well, we've been told it's important as a base of operations... for magicians... er, magic users. Something about lines under the ground. I'm frankly new to all this. Anyway, I don't really trust the fat man to tell us the entire truth. And if you know what I am, do you think we might be able to figure something out? Again, I'm completely lost here, but at least one of my group is on a power trip and refuses to come down," Kat tells the burned man, hoping to reach some sort of understanding here. The burned man is about to open his mouth, but Larry intervenes.

"Oh sure, that sounds believable.  Hey guy, there's a big pile of lottery tickets there for you and all your buddies if you get out. If not, well, you hear about those dinosaurs?  Guess what we're gonna fill this place with if you don't leave? So your call, we do this easy or hard."

The burned man blinks a few times.

"Look, dude, don't pay attention to these two - well, not yet. They're just feeling a bit weird cos they were totally off their faces a few hours ago and it hasn't worn off yet. Seriously - try one of these, they make you feel pretty damn good. Make you see stuff too. The real high takes a while to come on, but the visions? That comes pretty damn quick. All feckin' organic too if you care about that shit," Halesey adds, offering a set of alcoholic beans to the guy.

There is a tense pause. The burned man's eyes wander over the varied people standing out here, from the suspiciously generous Halesey to the bewildered Kat, from the rather abrasive Larry to ponderous (in a totally non-stoner-like way, honest) Elizabeth.

"I don't mix with you druggie types, no sir, so take your business someplace else, you hear?" the burned man says sternly, then shuts the door. Elizabeth, supposing nobody important is looking right now, assumes a more natural, philosophical, seemingly chemically-assisted posture as she scans for ley lines.

Well... she does sense something, she guesses. Not some kind of huge magical conduit or portal to hell or whatever, though. Maybe a tiny echo of some kind, like a starved child at the bottom of a disused well of some kind. And it does seem to be coming from inside the old factory.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2013, 01:46:26 pm »

"See?  Nice way is for suckers.  Let's bust in there and clear them out."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 244