Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 267263 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Changing of Hands
« Reply #555 on: November 30, 2013, 04:20:57 am »

"Hey! Lookie, lookie Billy! A Christmas Card!"

"Read it! Read it!"

Follow the voice. Read it.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 30, 2013, 05:53:54 am »

Elizabeth turns up, a little groggy. That noise, piercing the blissful isolation of fully turned up headphones, could only mean one thing. Hopefully this hadn't resulted in... oh. That actually looked pretty good. Weird. Okay, rephrase that. Good for their standards. Well, she shouldn't complain if she hadn't lifted a finger for it, sooooooooo...

"Hey, give me that. I'm pretty sure I can make the most sense of it." If all else fails, just boss the boys around.

Thoroughly examine the file.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 30, 2013, 08:36:06 am »

Blindly flail about until I find a tap to thoroughly rinse my eyes with. Then, whilst in the comfort and privacy of the bathroom, cast Rain of Shampoo!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 30, 2013, 02:07:37 pm »

Larry eyeballs the file.  "So... how are you going to get this worked out for us?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 30, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »

"I don't know if you remember - I certainly told you all - but I'm studying Ancient History at our local college. Every day I try to make sense of barely legible gibberish written in foreign, long-dead languages. Legalese, or simple adresses - written in plain english - should be easy enough, really. Also I really don't trust either of you not to get this thing even more dirty than it is right now..." Elizabeth says, leering at a copious amount of shampoo puddles trying their best to appear inconspicious and non-magical.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 30, 2013, 04:09:35 pm »

Willy is excited for this piece of paper, despite being pretty sure he's read it a few times before to stave off the intense desire to beat his head against a wall out of sheer boredom (and even then it helped matters surprisingly little).

"Hey! Lookie, lookie Billy! A Christmas Card!"

"Read it! Read it!"

He snatches the booklet and opens it up. It's definitely a marked improvement over the original. For one, all the text and imagery has been forcefully covered in half-scrawls, half-scratches that resemble a slightly obsessive child's attempt to cross out a mistake, albeit on a much grander scale. Willy's eyes wander over the wonderful additions to the booklet - there's one on every page, and each one looks a little different from the last. Every new page offers a new adventure, if one has sufficiently low standards for that sort of thing, which Willy, having been locked inside an asylum for the longest time now. They're very funny pictures! So very squiggly. And there's something odd about them he can't quite place, a distinct feeling there's something he's-

"You don't see it? Look closer! CLOSER!" Hungry Pete says, becoming agitated. Before Willy can properly react, he moves toward him.

[Opposed body rolls: Hungry Pete vs. Willy: 2 vs. 6]

Luckily, Willy's a quick sort, jumping back as Hungry Pete grabs at him. Pete, perhaps regaining a little bit of his senses, steps back.

"Put the diagrams closer to your eyes! Then you'll see! Don't dawdle! Many things hang in the balance!"

How impatient of the fellow, really.

Elizabeth, snapping out of a headphone-induced trance state, quickly steps into Herbert's office, whereupon she spies a file in Larry's hands. Being somewhat of an expert at reading inane documents written in confusing language some time ago, she goes for it immediately.

"Hey, give me that. I'm pretty sure I can make the most sense of it," she says, snatching the thing out of Larry's hands, much to the surprise of Herbert, who may have suspected ol' Liz might not have been all there, you know. She opens the file, finding that it contains some information on 17 Import Avenue. Seems like there's been twelve or so different owners in the last five years - she isn't really sure why, but that probably shouldn't matter. What does matter is that the current owner seems to be a lady named Roseanne Walters, and she got the place through this very agency. There's even some handy contact information in the file.

"So... how are you going to get this worked out for us?"

Elizabeth, not sure she's being addressed, but definitely in need to clear up some of those pent-up words within her, replies.

"I don't know if you remember - I certainly told you all - but I'm studying Ancient History at our local college. Every day I try to make sense of barely legible gibberish written in foreign, long-dead languages. Legalese, or simple adresses - written in plain english - should be easy enough, really. Also I really don't trust either of you not to get this thing even more dirty than it is right now..."

"And... uh... I guess I'll do what you guys tell me to. I don't have a choice, do I? It's that or potato hell."

Meanwhile, within the bathroom, Halesey flails in a most expressive manner, seeking a sink amidst all the pain and burning that his world has become. He finds in a moment that Herbert did not lie - the sink is indeed to the right of the entrance. Halesey opens the tap, then commences the rinsing of his eyes. It takes five minutes for the emission of shampoo from his tear ducts to stop, and then several minutes more for the burning to mostly subside. When the process is done, Halesey looks up from the sink, the relative cleanliness of which he can only now appreciate with his regained sight, and gazes into the mirror. This is probably the reddest his eyes have ever been. He wasn't even aware he had that many blood vessels there.

Anyhow, it's time to take the process from the top.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 1-->1]

As Halesey makes a fateful snap after a short dance routine with the aim of altering the very nature of the skies, he gets the feeling something's gone horribly wrong. This impression is then confirmed as he feels the bathroom become even more damp than usual, and Halesey suddenly realizes he is in some sort of shadow. Looking up, he sees a cloud right above him, exactly the right size to rain on him and nobody else, like something out of a cartoon.

The cloud then begins to pour shampoo on him in a manner Halesey would expect from a bathroom product-themed rainforest, giving him a good faceful (and, naturally, an eyeful as well) of the stuff. It's not until you've had a brief, wonderful reprieve from relentless eye pain that you truly begin to appreciate its true horror.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 30, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »

"Bugger. I'm an idiot."

Find a table or something to hide over until the shampoo storm passes - probably not worth rinsing my eyes until then. If it passes, rinse eyes. Again.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 30, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »

"Uh, uh, uh!" Willy shakes his head. "You musn't be impatient! I should know - I was the doctors' number one patient! Haha!"

Put the diagrams close to my eyes.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 30, 2013, 10:54:04 pm »

Larry just ignores Captain Shampoo.  "Okay, so we go kill her, right?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 01, 2013, 04:08:01 am »

"Dude, we can't just go round killing everyone we want..." says Benjamin the Potato Mage, through his shampoo downpour.

"Your powers are probably not developed enough to fight off the feds just yet, man..."

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 01, 2013, 08:12:15 am »

"Ownership of that thing has changed a lot, huh? Told you, we're definitely not the first and we won't be the last. Hell, that shrimp in the factory probably had friends and they're not going to be very pleased to meet us. This is a silly place we're riding ourselves into."

"Well, I have a novel idea. How about we talk to this Lady Roseanne Walters? Chances are she's been in a very similar position only six months along. Perhaps we can even achieve a peaceful coexistence! And if she sics the hounds on me - yes, me, I've seen your negoitation prowess and I've found it... lacking... then you can still come in potatoes and snot blazing."

Elizabeth sighed. Why hadn't she heard of that reporter for a long time... she was a voice of reason, especially when compared to the very trigger-happy beacons of sanity that had managed to shampoo the entire area as soon as she had let them off the hook. Keeping the two within the bounds of civilization had been very... taxing, so far, and she hadn't exactly succeeded at it either, in fact...

Perhaps she, too, was slipping. No. No no. This absolutely was not happening, and she was going to make sure that this affair was to be treated with actual honest-to-goodness diplomacy. She was sure she could talk this over and all issues were going to vanish. Yes.

"Well, I'm making the call now."

Dial the number, attempt to set up a meeting. With cake and tea and sweets.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 01, 2013, 08:42:00 am »

Halesey, after making sure to berate himself, heads back into Herbert's office, eliciting a few curious glances as he hides under a coffee table from the shampoo downpour. As he lies under the table, watching the droplets of shampoo fall from the sides to the floor, he listens in on the conversation.

Larry is the first to make a suggestion.

"Okay, so we go kill her, right?" he asks, causing Herbert to pale visibly. Halesey, not quite sure if that's the best course of action, intervenes before the bugger gets too carried away with the idea.

"Dude, we can't just go round killing everyone we want... Your powers are probably not developed enough to fight off the feds just yet, man..."

Before Larry can successfully argue back, Elizabeth takes charge.

"Ownership of that thing has changed a lot, huh? Told you, we're definitely not the first and we won't be the last. Hell, that shrimp in the factory probably had friends and they're not going to be very pleased to meet us. This is a silly place we're riding ourselves into. Well, I have a novel idea. How about we talk to this Lady Roseanne Walters? Chances are she's been in a very similar position only six months along. Perhaps we can even achieve a peaceful coexistence! And if she sics the hounds on me - yes, me, I've seen your negotiation prowess and I've found it... lacking... then you can still come in potatoes and snot blazing," she says, sighing. "Well, I'm making the call now."

She takes out her phone and dials Ms. Walters' number. She needs to only wait a few moments before someone picks up.

"Yes?" goes a soft female voice. "Who is this?"

"Ah, Ms. Walters, I presume?"

"Yes, that's me."

"I represent a certain group of businessmen looking into one of your properties, a certain factory. I was hoping we could speak in person."

"Well, I'm not so sure I have the-"

"There will be cake, tea and sweets."

"Oh! Hm. I'll see what I can do, then. Where do you propose to meet?"

Willy shakes his head at Hungry Pete.

"Uh, uh, uh! You mustn't be impatient! I should know - I was the doctors' number one patient! Haha!"

"Whatever! Look quickly! Ignorance burns at the soul, and it cannot be allowed to do so any longer!"

Willy then does as Hungry Pete directed, nearing his eyes to the "diagrams". As they fill his field of vision, Willy begins to feel a bit funky.

[Willy's mind roll: 3+1]

The diagrams swim out at him, filling his eyes, burning themselves into his vision and leaving white spots where they once were. Strangely, though, it doesn't hurt at all, unlike staring at the sun. As Willy's vision disappears, it is replaced with something different, a universe of ultraviolet tones that he can't quite observe. He can hear them, though - they sound like clinking and twinkling pieces of glass, like snow falling. And in the middle of all the sounds, Willy senses something. Something like a fish. Instinctively, he grabs at it, catching it in his diminutive hands, and the fish resists for but a moment before exploding with a loud bang, its entrails covering Willy's brain with a fresh coat of knowledge. However, as the bits slowly peel off him, Willy is faced with a choice - what does he allow to drift off, what does he keep?

Spoiler: Willy's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 08:46:04 am by Harry Baldman »

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 01, 2013, 08:45:35 am »

((Oh, God, happy tuberculosis? That is not going to end up well.))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 01, 2013, 08:46:29 am »

Let Elizabeth do diplomacy...

Cast a Bolt of Indestructible Beans at the tabletop above me whilst waiting for the rain to pass.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 01, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »

"Bah, fine.  But if you can't talk her out of it, it's potatoes and snot all the way."

Let diplomacy happen.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 244