Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 267102 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1290 on: April 14, 2014, 03:38:33 pm »

"Ah, yes, of course," Kermit says, retrieving a card from his pocket in a smooth, practiced motion and handing it to you. The card, very much like you'd expect, seems to contain his name, workplace (apparently he works at LindisPharm as a marketing director) and what looks like a personal number. "You can call me anytime. Maybe we can have lunch or something. Things are best discussed over lunch, don't you think?"
((Hey, wasn't that guy just having dinner with another woman? Oh well, maybe it was his sister or his assistant or similar.))

Eta was taken aback by the man's proposal.
Is he really-? Should I-? He seems so strange, like something is off about him. Do I really want to make any sort of commitment to him?
Her eyes fell to the black matchbox.
Then again, he DID provide me with this marvellous gift. I was hesitant with accepting that too, but that seems to have turned out OK. And I hate to admit it, but he certainly seems like an intriguing gentleman. If anything, I'd at least be able to learn more about this "magic" he talked about and how he got it.
He's already given me the keys, so to speak. I'm not obliged or forced to see him again in any way unless I want to. Uunggh, What to do?

"You're an interesting man, Mr. Pillton." Eta said and smiled to Kermit. "We shall see..." she added and winked to him, then turned to walk away.

I guess for now, it would be better if I didn't burn down any bridges. I can always decide later.
Besides, men like a bit of teasing, right? A bit of hunting. Let's give him enough time to show his true nature...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:03:44 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:47 am »

At the church, Halesey feels like he has sufficiently regrouped to focus his attention outward.

"Thanks, men, excellent work. Now. Let's get to work. Or back to work, even," he says, noting that the hairy mafiosi do look fairly appreciative of this bit of group bonding. Larry, however, looks significantly less happy, what with his attempts to try and keep descending into his manhole.

"Er. Larry? Sorry about that. Dunno why I thought it could help. Pigeons, I guess. Do you want some mafiosi to come help?"

"I think you've helped enough! I might have to go... down here to get away!" Larry replies, swatting away some errant pigeons. Halesey guesses that this must mean it's time for more vortexes! They're doing the lord's work, after all. Can't afford to slouch!

[Halesey's affinity roll: 3]

And a tiny potato vortex does appear next to the much larger one! Rather strangely, it begins to orbit it. Huh.

Larry, meanwhile, tries to finish up the job as well, despite his grip on the manhole ladder growing increasingly weak.

[Larry's affinity roll: 6-->1+1]

And the fact that he has added yet another huge vortex to the church, the facade of which already has become a rather messed-up situation in the dimensional sense, does not seem to help the situation at all!

[Larry's body roll: 3-1]

So it comes as no surprise when he is pulled right out of the manhole and, despite the way he has dug his nails into the ground, dragged right to the vortex - he got lucky the previous time, but Larry's pretty sure that he's not gonna get out of this one without some really quick thinking or rather obscene luck!

Dave, quite distracted with matters of his own while Mr. Pilton and Eta chat away, reassures himself of the rightness of his current course.

"I'm studying it to figure out how it works," he says, and tries to call the prophetic vinegar again! It shall reveal its secrets to him!

[Dave's affinity roll: 4-1]

The air above his hand glows a little, and a tiny little blob of vinegar appears above it! Dave is fairly certain that he can discern some kind of mystical air about it, and that's not just because it seemed to be freely floating for a second before falling to the ground and making a small puddle. It seems to be still be looking at him, oddly enough.

Eta, meanwhile, concludes her current business with Kermit in as polite a manner as she can manage.

"You're an interesting man, Mr. Pilton," she says, smiling at him. "We shall see..."

"That we shall, I suppose," he says with a bit of excitement as Eta walks away from the alley. As she disappears around a corner, he looks back at the restaurant for a moment.

"Hm... I guess I'll... nah," he thinks out loud for a moment, then walks out of the alley as well, getting into his car and driving off, leaving Dave all by his lonesome. Needless to say, Dave feels a little exposed. Plus his legs are getting a little cold, and his feet are already starting to freeze.

Eta, meanwhile, decides to check where she could find matches - it does not take long for it to occur to her that she could probably get some at one of the neighborhood's stores - upscale stores though they may be, she rightly guesses they should be open at this hour, and within twenty minutes a whole lot of matches are in her possession - fresh, clean, smokeless matches straight from the chemical factory, the label informs her. They're still warm, even! Gladdened by the conveniences of modern society, she then proceeds outside of the store, making sure to thank the rather stiff-looking lady manning the register (otherwise poor relations may be fostered - these store people tended to hold grudges for a long time, like a cross between a vain dragon and the most malicious of elephants). Getting well clear of any other civilization out at the present time, she strolls into one of the better-lit, tree-lined alleys of the neighborhood and decides to test her knowledge.

[Eta's affinity roll: 2+1]

Raising her palm to the air in a manner reminiscent of a Roman salute with fingers spread, she concentrates upon the very idea of a wave of lawyers. Or is that a wave that's a lawyer? Just as she begins to doubt if she really knows what's going on, the air in front of her palm begins to shimmer, and with nothing more than a barely audible pop a single full-grown woman in cheap-looking businesswear shoots forth and rolls down the alley for a bit before coming to a stop - it looks and sounds like that might have hurt, Eta thinks. But she has established some important information, she supposes.

John, desperate for some sort of relief in this fairly messed up situation, decides to capitalize on his methhead resources and shouts to them.

"Say, gentlemen, did you know? The spleens of these yetis are made out of the highest grade meth known to man! But be careful, it's starts losing its quality fast once the yeti dies, so it's best to get it from a fresh kill!" he yells, and the dazed methheads up top, currently eleven in number, respond with a collective roar born of their mutual, insatiable hunger for sweet meth, immediately rushing out to dive down three whole floors at the presumably meth-ridden yetis below!

[Methhead body rolls: 1-->2, 6-->6, 3, 4, 3, 3, 1-->3, 2, 1-->2, 1-->1, 2]

The results are... not pretty, to say the least. One of the first methheads to land basically rams headfirst into a piece of exposed rebar at high speed. Two more simply flop into the concrete messily, while a fourth gets punched out of the air by an enraged yeti. Most of the others land on furniture or in the gore already present, causing themselves varying degrees of injury, and only two manage to hit roughly what they were aiming for. One of them falls on a yeti and rolls off mostly unharmed, while another... well, another plunges fists-first into the abdomen of the yeti and proceeds to in equal amounts rip, chew and snort the internal components of his target while bellowing fearsomely. When said yeti flesh proves to be the tastiest thing he's ever had, he takes out his lighter and sets fire to the creature in an effort to improve the experience, which seems to work admirably as well!

Meanwhile, the other yetis look on in horror. But this only lasts a moment before they decide to help their friend, no matter how far gone from the madman's assault he may look! The creatures look very successfully distracted, John thinks, and turns back to his buddies.

"Hey, you guys alright? The watchman ran off, so maybe we should fall back and lick our wounds, eh?"

Luz responds with a groan, while Trey seems to still be buried in a pile of canned goods. Crap. Luz proves simple to retrieve, but with Trey it looks like it'll be a bit more difficult.

[Trey's body roll: 1-->5-1]

Luckily, he's not dead or anything, at least judging by the screaming, and after a bit of effort he manages to dig the fellow out. He looks to be lacerated all over, and definitely looks to be in no shape to fight or anything.

"Oh god, I never knew anything could hurt this much," he says, coughing.

"Fuck it, retreat!" Luz says, getting to her feet with a very pained sound, then stumbling straight out of the room.

[Tasty Yetis vs. Crazed Methhead: 6+2 vs. 1]

And the yetis down on the ground seem to make short work of the methhead, impressive though his landing may have been, as well as his friend. And now they seem to be regarding the three injured magi still present. They do not seem happy. And then, to top it all off, the night watchman appears in the classroom immediately to the left of the one he was originally in. Sadly for him, the yetis that had crawled up there previously still seem to remain, and still appear to be quite ticked off.

[Finesse: Night Watchman vs. Angry Yetis: 3-1 vs. 5]

"Oh shi-" the night watchman begins to say and raise his arms as three yetis quickly descend upon him.

[Angry Yetis vs. Night Watchman: 4+1 vs. 3]

He is even less pleased when the yetis pretty much punt him screamingly back into the hallway and then try to press the attack!

[Night Watchman's affinity roll: 5+1]

However, the clackety-clacking sound of the terrible salty denture vortex seems to interrupt them - John can't rightly say, as he can't properly see what happens next. He assumes it's awful, however. And he is somewhat fearful that a similar situation may develop down where he is as well!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:07 am »

Rush to Larry with my mafiosi and try to pull him out of or away from the vortexes, hoping that my mafiosi aid me or at least hold me down so I don't also get sucked in.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 15, 2014, 11:20:47 am »

I go to that one really cheap clothing store by the church and buy some pants.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1294 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:54 am »

((Haha. Fun turn.))
Rush to Larry with my mafiosi and try to pull him out of or away from the vortexes, hoping that my mafiosi aid me or at least hold me down so I don't also get sucked in.
((Mental image of mafiosi holding each other like the monkeys from barrel of monkeys.))

Hmmm... I wonder if the matches act like those in that sad old story. I should try that out, sometime. Eta thought as she put more matches in the black matchbox. She looked around for a clock and made a mental note of the time. Great! More matches coming in one hour. In the meantime...

Eta stared at the woman that materialised in front of her mere seconds ago dumbfounded. So he was telling the truth after all! Who would have known?
She approached the prone woman, checking her for injuries. "Oh dear! Are you allright?"

Spoiler: Char Sheet (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 15, 2014, 01:23:30 pm »

"Oh dear! Are you allright?"

"I don't know!" the woman says, flailing around a little. "Where am I? What time is it?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1296 on: April 15, 2014, 01:30:29 pm »

"I don't know!" the woman says, flailing around a little. "Where am I? What time is it?"
"What time is it?" What a strange question to ask.
Offer a hand to help her stand/pull her up.
"An alley, somewhere near Chez Ronardo's. And it's late in the evening, not sure what time exactly."
"Why is the time so important?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 15, 2014, 01:33:12 pm »

"An alley, somewhere near Chez Ronardo's. And it's late in the evening, not sure what time exactly."
"Why is the time so important?"

"Oh god, I don't know anything! What's even happening? I don't remember anything at all! Where did I go to law school? Do I have any friends? How do I even speak your language? Who was my mother? Oh god!" she continues to panic, curling up in a ball on the ground.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 15, 2014, 01:55:43 pm »

"I concur, let's get the hell out of here for now." John looks back at the methhead mess, for a moment "I won't forget your bravery, nameless methheads. Allright, Trey, let's get you up and out of here."

Tactical retreat! grab Trey and follow Luz out of here! Help both of them get to a completely safe location.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 15, 2014, 02:33:20 pm »

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

Try to doublecast Summon Telescopic Tea Hat to use as a lasso and tie myself down!

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

((Mental image of mafiosi holding each other like the monkeys from barrel of monkeys.))

((There's no more monkeys!  That's the whole barrel!))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1300 on: April 15, 2014, 02:34:05 pm »

"Oh god, I don't know anything! What's even happening? I don't remember anything at all! Where did I go to law school? Do I have any friends? How do I even speak your language? Who was my mother? Oh god!" she continues to panic, curling up in a ball on the ground.
So she was created from thin air with just enough knowledge? Interesting. Hmmm, this gives me an idea...
Eta crouched and gently patted the Lawyer on the shoulder to comfort her.
"There there. It'll be fine. I mean, you can't have just magically appeared from thin air, right? You probably hit your head when you fell and are a bit confused, that's all. I'm sure it will come back to you in time."
After a few more moments of physical comforting she continued:
"But if you're really so anxious to know more, I know of a place where we could find out your name~" she added in a musical voice.
"What do you say you and me go there, eh?"
I've got an hour to kill. Might as well use it to make sure this isn't a real person.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:39:28 pm by Parisbre56 »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:07 pm »

I wander up to the lawyer and Eta. "Sup?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 15, 2014, 02:44:15 pm »

"There there. It'll be fine. I mean, you can't have just magically appeared from thin air, right? You probably hit your head when you fell and are a bit confused, that's all. I'm sure it will come back to you in time."
After a few more moments of physical comforting she continued:
"But if you're really so anxious to know more, I know of a place where we could find out your name~" she added in a musical voice.
"What do you say you and me go there, eh?"

"I don't have a name! That's the problem! I'm just supposed to fly and smash into the things! That's my purpose! That's what I went to law school for! Do you know how that feels? Do you? I have no context aside from that! No other meaning! I'm not even sure how long will I exist from now!" she keeps on ranting.

I wander up to the lawyer and Eta. "Sup?"

Important question: do you wanna get chummy, or do you wanna get pants? Because you can't do both this turn.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 15, 2014, 02:57:50 pm »

Chummy

Nunzillor

« Reply #1304 on: April 15, 2014, 06:11:59 pm »

Excellent choice.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 244