Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 266740 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: The Making of a Sanctum
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2013, 03:27:42 pm »

~Oh, I admit, that would be very...wizard.~ She thought. ~So-how about you teach me, very simply, how to enchant an item of clothing? In return, I promise you one-just one-very wizardly cackle. I'm fickle and hard and please, like you, so let's move forward on that fact, right?~

~Hm... perhaps. You'll have to give me a demo, though. Sort of an introduction before you let loose with the real thing, eh? And this'll be a one-time-only deal - don't wanna set a precedent, y'know.~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2013, 03:32:59 pm »

~Now we're talking deal.

All right, here we go. Don't laugh. I haven't cackled since...~

In fact, Kat brought up the memory of a girl she had hated in high school. The years of bitter acrimony. The sniping, bear baiting and back beating. And on the graduation stage, she had watched as her erstwhile foe had tripped on the wire trailing from the speaker, falling to the floor below, face first. As if Kats mere will alone had struck her down into abject humiliation.

She had laughed then out of pure spite, and she laughed now-out of pure, wizardly spite. But it's only a demo! Save some for the real thing...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2013, 03:38:28 pm »

"Right. This time I'm having a read. Try not to look too spaced out guys."

Get a peacefulish spot and read the book.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 07, 2013, 10:17:55 am »

Larry can truly feel the enrichment going around right here. However, he still has a bit of a question that's gone unanswered.

"Hey, magic talking book of unbelievable power, how do I use those last two spells you gave me?  If you can't tell me, you can always just lay more power on me.  You're cool like that."

There is a moment of unnerving silence in Larry's head, but it quickly abates when the booming voice returns.

~WHY, IT IS SIMPLICITY ITSELF, SILLY MORTAL! SIMPLY LOCATE A VIDEOTAPE DEMON KNIGHT OR SAUSAGE ANGEL GOLEM, OF WHICH I ASSUME YOU HAVE NO SHORTAGE, AND EXERT YOUR MAGICAL POWER OVER THEM!~

Ah.

Kat, after a period of negotiation, decides to cave in to the demands of the voice and, with a little help from her memories of good ol' school, breaks into a jolly, vindictive cackle that she wasn't even rightly aware she had in her - she successfully restrains herself before she spends all of that good mojo, though. Have to save some for later, right?

~Lovely work there, baby. I look forward to you trying that again - cut loose, will you? Life's more fun that way.~

Kat feels a particular spell enter her brain - it's a little different than usual, though it proves easy to retain it.

Spoiler: Kat's New Spell (click to show/hide)

Halesey, guessing he's got to get some magic as well if anyone's going to take him seriously, takes up as nice a spot as he can find, which isn't very nice at all by most standards, though it is quite peaceful indeed. He opens the book and tries to get educated.

[Halesey's mind roll: 6-->1+1]

He lets the book reach into his mind, the knowledge flowing through every neuron, bits of it getting caught on his mortal brain and taking up residence quickly and with the greatest of ease.

As the people do their research, they notice a rather skinny, extremely filthy guy approach them in the alley.

"Um... hey... I heard, like, people laughing and... um... I was thinking, like, what's going on? You got something?"

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 07, 2013, 10:31:09 am »

~Thanks...I think...~ Kat said, absorbing the spell.

Too bad she was only wearing jeans.

She looked up at the crazy man who was probably a real drug addict.

"No, we're just practicing magic. Can you go away? We don't want you to get hurt." She said, stowing away her Binder. Feeling such an onrush of magical power gave her the temptation to break the mans jaw with an upperct-Kat was tough for her size, and quite strong-but for now she merely smiled politely.

Spoiler: Kats Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:51:40 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 07, 2013, 11:02:24 am »

Well. I guess I'll take both for now. Can't hurt, can it?

Halesey looks up from his study.

"Well. Kinda. I got these mad beans, man. They kinda... make you feel really good. You wanna try one? They make you see some pretty incredible stuff, man."

Offer the man an alcoholic bean. If he takes it, tell him to wait about a minute, and then cast Potato Vortex about ten feet away (and not near my companions!). Pretend not to see it and ask the man what he sees. If he doesn't take it and leaves, then cast Bolt of Indestructible Beans at his back.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:42:24 am by lawastooshort »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 07, 2013, 12:56:04 pm »

Larry nodded.  "Noted, Mr. Voice.  Hmmm..."

This book seemed to contain lots of power, but it was a bit fickle.  Perhaps he should have a bit of a run up to it?

Take some time to prepare myself for a deeper book read.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2013, 01:01:48 pm »

((Sorry for the delays! Sometimes, you have to go to areas without reliable internet access, and I used the time I had for posting in other RtDs...))

Well... sorry about that. There was just so much she didn't understand about her - would it be correct to call it, or her, this? - partner. So much she had to find out.

Say, how would you feel about just... conversation? Am I the first wizard you, uh, communed with? I hope I'm not overstepping your boundaries here, but... trying is the only way I can make sure. If you told me what you don't want me to do when beseeching you, that'd be fine too... because, in the end. I don't want to piss you off. You are, after all, my window to a strange and wonderful world...

Talk. Except, well, mentally. Try to avoid getting more spells thrust upon me.

Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2013, 10:59:13 am »

Kat, fresh from absorbing a brand new spell, does her very best to rebuke the filthy man accosting her.

"No, we're just practicing magic. Can you go away? We don't want you to get hurt."

"What? Magic? Does that, like, mean something? Whaddaya mean, magic? Is that, like, something new?"

This fella's a curious soul, clearly.

"Well. Kinda. I got these mad beans, man. They kinda... make you feel really good. You wanna try one? They make you see some pretty incredible stuff, man." Halesey explains, handing one of his alcoholic beans to the guy, who eyes it skeptically.

"Beans? Uh... okay, I guess?" he says after an appraisal, popping the thing into his mouth. At this point, something occurs to him.

"Wait, shit, are you supposed to chew them? Or just swallow?"

"Wait a minute and you'll see, man."

"Uh... okay."

At this point, Halesey decides to go for broke. He decides to summon the dreaded Potato Vortex.

[Halesey's affinity roll: 3-1]

He strains his mind to the limit, but nothing happens. He even outstretched his hand and everything. Why doesn't the magic work?

"You okay, man?" he says, still intently swilling the bean inside his mouth, looking a bit ponderous.

The others pay significantly less attention to the guy, with Larry taking a moment to prepare his mind for another contact session with the book - he supposes he'll, like, cast a mental net - that's a pretty good analogy, yeah. And in this magical psychosomatic net, he will capture KNOWLEDGE. And POWER.

Elizabeth, though, prefers to take it easy and just talk to the voice.

Well... sorry about that.

~nah, you didn't know. it's just that i'm kinda... sensitive sometimes. i get ideas. lots of ideas. great ideas. bad ideas. oh yes.~

Say, how would you feel about just... conversation? Am I the first wizard you, uh, communed with? I hope I'm not overstepping your boundaries here, but... trying is the only way I can make sure. If you told me what you don't want me to do when beseeching you, that'd be fine too... because, in the end. I don't want to piss you off. You are, after all, my window to a strange and wonderful world...

~well, i'm kinda shy. so i'd prefer if you didn't go nuts with the questions. makes me uncomfortable. and twitchy. you haven't seen me get really twitchy yet. i once had a panic attack, you know. that was really bad. for everyone. that girl couldn't have seen it coming, oh no. we aren't good friends yet, so i'd like it if you gave me space. lots of space. in fact, don't ask me anything for a while.~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2013, 11:28:25 am »

((huh, should have done an action for this turn...oh well))

Kat decided to throw logic where it belonged-out the window!

Action: Cast enchant skirt! on my pants?

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2013, 12:51:23 pm »

Sure thing. We'll do this at your pace, so I'll leave you alone for now. If it's not an emergency.

Elizabeth closed her book, feeling somewhat relieved. Whoever the entity was, it was not malevolent. She just needed to avoid pressing its buttons. And, then, maybe... they could get along. Or, even, be friends.

It would quite possibly the weirdest of friendships. Fueled by her curiosity.

And, how curious was the entity on the other side of the book about her...?
...She snapped back to reality. Reality, in this case, was quite unpleasant. Someone else apparently attracted a hobo, well, then it was someone else's job to take care of him. Introspection... She had been forced to accept a few spells, she recalled... went through them a bit...

Suddenly, what she needed to do was as clear as light.

Acquire hat. Swankify.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »

Yes... that seemed to do it.  Now, there was but one thing left to do.

Acquire power via book.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2013, 02:11:42 am »

"Er... Yeah. I think. I'm fine. I just took too many beans man. I'm totally tripping."

Cast Potato Vortex again, paying particular attention to the mental imagery of potatoes, about ten feet away (and not near my companions!) in the man's line of sight but not too close to him. Pretend not to see it and ask the man what he sees.

((comrades, if this doesn't deal with the interloper then I am just going to ignore him and rub my book all over my face, because I need some POWAH too. I also need to figure out some kind of easy ritual that'll allow me not to cast like a total noob.

oh crap wait - who had the alcoholic beans? You swapped them out?? I was going to use them to enslave all the hobos))

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2013, 04:37:16 am »

((look, the vortex of racist beavers was a keeper. then i had to choose between alcoholic beans and lottery tickets, and I thought lottery tickets would be more useful

maybe i should re-swap them, though, if the GM allows it))

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2013, 04:56:25 am »

((Ok, well, let's see if we can enslave the hobos with racist beavers?))
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 244