Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 267179 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Cash 4 Gen-Lit (dropping considered)
« Reply #1185 on: March 23, 2014, 01:18:36 pm »

I'm enjoying it, but I think I'm seeing the lack of direction. 

My suggestion would be to backburner it for a week and try to come up with the direction for it (with any retconning if needed.)  If you spend that week doing everything you can to avoid working on it, it's probably time to put it to bed.

EDIT- Me and Halesey, at least, are potentially sitting on a plot hook.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1186 on: March 23, 2014, 02:15:59 pm »

I really enjoyed reading this and decided I was going to submit a character last week. Was simply waiting for some free time and a bit of inspiration for the char sheet.

I love the magic system and I love your writing and imagination. The magic system gives interesting spells that require some thinking and some persistence to be useful, that's what I like about it.

If you don't like the current plot, then you can always restart it as something different. If you're not enjoying GMing this then you should obviously not force yourself to do that.

I think one of the problems with this game is that not many players stuck around for some reason.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 23, 2014, 02:43:07 pm »

Yeah, I think I'll put this on hiatus for a short while. Say, a week. If my feelings of general satisfaction decrease rapidly as the week approaches its end, dropping it for now shall be the only alternative. As it is, fixing it will be a bit of a priority.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:44:44 pm by Harry Baldman »

Nunzillor

Re: The Forgotten Art: Cash 4 Gen-Lit (currently on hiatus)
« Reply #1188 on: March 24, 2014, 02:00:05 am »

For the record, I hope this continues in some form.  Best of luck, Harry.   :)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Cash 4 Gen-Lit (currently on hiatus)
« Reply #1189 on: March 24, 2014, 04:37:25 am »

I very much appreciate the system, tone, and writing generally. I would admit that I've found it hard to identify the plot, but put this down more to high art than lack of planning: surely the aimless ennui reflects the reality of mundane, quotidian modern magic in a capitalist society?

Halesey's slow-but-actually-only-two-day descent into madness and incompetence actually very much accurately reflects what would probably happen were I to come into such power myself: struggle to control myself and not know what to do with it.

Still, if this is giving you existential problems then perhaps you should leave it. I hope you don't.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: 101 Uses For Potatoes and Vortexes Thereof
« Reply #1190 on: April 07, 2014, 10:57:40 am »

John, supposing that the school has been more than destroyed enough for safe entry, gingerly walks up to the door with Trey and Luz, and finds that, underneath the thick layer of pureed methhead, it still seems to remain locked. Or at least not open - John isn't sure if he wants to touch it and find out for sure. Hm. This is quite the disappointment. Then again, this may be the only barrier between himself and a whole schoolful of yetis, so maybe it's not all that bad.

"You know something, fuck this door," Luz says.

[Luz's affinity roll: 3]

She waves her hand and suddenly a an absolutely magnificent washing machine, the very pinnacle of advanced laundry technology, materializes before her, flying slowly at the door! It impacts the gore-covered facade, and both the door and the metal shutter bend inwards quite a bit, and John can hear glass breaking rather loudly. Rather hilariously, they also hear an alarm sound.

"Okay, maybe that was not as impressive as it could have been."

Halesey and Larry converse with the new man, wondering what his relevance to them might be.

"Spit it out - at least you did something for us, unlike Captain Asshole Bean here," Larry says, prompting a pronouncedly mean look from the asshole mafibean.

"I wonder how many gut shots can our friend here heal. Don't you?"

Halesey, not deterred by the threat of violence against Larry, asks the most important of questions.

"Are these two offers mutually exclusive? And anyhow, you know what, this bunghole of a bean here has decided he's in charge, so I think we have some sort of problem."

"Alright, that's it. You're both getting kneecapped for this," the bean says, raising its organic hand cannon and aiming it at Larry first. However, the man in the van suddenly touches the villainous legume. A slight glow envelops it for a few moments, and it lowers the gun again.

"... what was I saying?" it asks after a moment.

"Right, so, the offers are sort of mutually exclusive - that fellow offered you money for literature, yes? Well, I can offer something better - favor. You see, I represent several wise, bearded men and women in important places that would be very pleased if none of this literature got into that other fellow's hands, yes? And to do this, you need only destabilize the dimensions in a very particular spot, no summoning of gentlemen's literature required. Create some vortexes in the area and all things should be wonderful. Interested?" the man says, his face beamish with tranquility.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:06:50 am by Harry Baldman »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 07, 2014, 11:20:22 am »

Is "potato" an effect?

PS, hooray! i am pleased at this return.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 07, 2014, 11:25:32 am »

Is "potato" an effect?

PS, hooray! i am pleased at this return.

No, 'potato' is an element.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 07, 2014, 12:14:59 pm »

((It lives!  Inspiration is found!  Huzzah!  And let me see if I have this right...

Foo Vortex
    Evoke Foo
    Foo Beam
    Summon Foo
    Blessing of Foo
    Breath of Foo

...would be the effects?))

Larry grunts.  "Get rid of this bean and I'll destabilize the shit out of whatever you want."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 07, 2014, 12:53:51 pm »

"Yeah, seconded. Well, within reason, I guess. Or just keep his gun out the way a second and we might be able to get ri- actually, yeah, get rid of him. He's kind of creepy."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 07, 2014, 02:52:01 pm »

((Yay, it's back!))

"Well, might as well venture forth now. We'll have to grab that whatchamacallit your friend is trying to keep for herself some day."

Read the magazine. Then see if the door has been demolished enough to get inside.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1196 on: April 07, 2014, 05:45:00 pm »

Character:

1. Why are you here and not someplace else?
1. I was bored. This looked like it might provide some entertainment. Or at least nice story.

2. What’s your name?
2. Eta, sort for Henrieta R. Hippo

3. What color do you identify yourself with?
3. Yellow with Red accents

4. Describe yourself.
4. Female, aged 35. Medium length curly red hair (dyed). Cat-eye glasses. Average height. Green/black clothes. British accent.

5. What do you like/love/enjoy?
5. Having fun, excitement, adventure, hearing (or living) a good story, meeting interesting people. Tea. Oh, and my looks.

6. What do you dislike/hate/fear?
6. Boredom. Being dead. People who take things too seriously or can't take a joke. Vegetables. Loosing my glasses.

7. In terms of occult or obscure power and knowledge, who would you like most to resemble (fictional people included)?
7. The Wizard of Yendor. In terms of power only. His lifestyle (even with the occasional adventurer-slaying) sounds rather boring.

Stats:
Body: 0
Finesse: 1
Mind: 3
Affinity: 2

Not very original but whatever.
I'm guessing I'll be waiting in the waitlist until one of you disappears inside a storm of potato vortices?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:36:31 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 08, 2014, 12:44:07 pm »

"Get rid of this bean and I'll destabilize the shit out of whatever you want," Larry says, and Halesey concurs.

"Yeah, seconded. Well, within reason, I guess. Or just keep his gun out the way a second and we might be able to get ri- actually, yeah, get rid of him. He's kind of creepy."

The man in the van scratches his chin as the bean begins to raise the gun to its two friends again, and then suddenly touches his hand to the bean again. The bean lowers the gun again.

"Well, get in the van, I guess. I'll take you some distance away," he says, keeping his hand on the violent gangster legume.

"Well, might as well venture forth now. We'll have to grab that whatchamacallit your friend is trying to keep for herself some day," John says, feeling there's no reason to shy away from property damage now.

"Yeah. I think it needs another shot for good measure."

"Seems like it, yeah. Crack the whole damn thing open, eh?"

"Man, this feels so cathartic."

"You're telling me."

John, preparing for the next step in the master plan, opens up his book and takes a look!

[John's mind roll: 5]

The rather wonderful experience of blasting the everloving shit out of the school building seems to have loosened John up quite a bit, as he takes to magic like a fish takes to indiscriminate violence, which is to say very well indeed - all the spheres shall be his eventually, he decides, but for now, he settles for three, of which one is the luckiest!

Spoiler: John's Spell Choices (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, Luz seems to be trying another good shot.

[Luz's affinity roll: 2+1]

Yet another washing machine flies at the door, this time securely dislodging the shutter and causing it to clatter to the ground noisily. The door looks as open as it is ever going to get.

Dave decides to take Monsieur Pilton up on his offer, and turns to his fine partner Myles.

"Of course. Come along, Myles."

Myles fails to respond, but he does come along, following Mr. Pilton out of Chez Ronardo's into a back alley, at which point it occurs to Dave that perhaps following a Satinist fabric-worshiper incubus lizardman into a dark alley isn't the brightest idea he's ever had. However, Mr. Pilton does look fairly harmless right now, so he guesses he's in the clear.

"So, magic. You want to know something about magic?" he says, then points at a nearby corner of the alley, and both Dave and Myles notice a bottle of shampoo appear where before there clearly was none. Yet more disturbingly, it seems to be singing the catchiest damned commercial jingle the two of them have ever heard, simultaneously evocative of all musical ear worms, yet feeling stylistically alien at the same time.

"That's magic, basically. Any questions?"

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:50:19 pm by Harry Baldman »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:45 pm »

"Whatever." Larry has seen so much crazy stuff in the past couple days that he has no trouble getting in the vehicle of a complete stranger.  Halesey would just potato everything if there was trouble.

Hop in!
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 244