Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Killing Goblin?  (Read 1407 times)

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Killing Goblin?
« on: August 23, 2013, 04:25:41 pm »

OK, so the weirdest thing just happened. I'm running my labor death camp honest and survivable fortress when I notice some goblins. I look at the units list and it says that there are 6 of them. I view each of them, and they're just... standing there, fully armed but doing nothing. Then, after a couple months IG, an actual gobbo ambush happens. But, here's the weird thing, the ambush goblins murder one of the bro goblins and book it for the map edge.

I believe I am not unjustified in asking the following: what the actual fuck?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Killing Goblin?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 04:39:39 pm »

Maybe they didn't like him or that goblin was in the way of their escape?

Either way, I think that goblin civ is going to have a loyalty cascade.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:48:13 pm »

Maybe you embarked on a site occupied by a worldgen bandit group? That would explain why they were just sitting around and why they were attacked by the other goblins.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 04:49:30 pm »

This can sometimes happen if you reclaim a location.  I've had necromancers (but not their undead) kobolds and goblins appear as friendlies and attack enemies of the fort.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 04:50:33 pm »

Well this is a reclaim, so maybe they moved in after the blood orgy killed the last group but before the new guys showed up. Odd still, as I only learned of them a few months in.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »

Sounds like different goblin civs, I've seen it reported a lot with multiple goblin civs and enough reclaim after being slaughtered by them. If you had any idea what civ was the old and the new that's attacked, then you could tell. It can be found under 'c' in fortress mode, but I don't think that older one will be remember on reembark.

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:31:48 pm »

Age of Goblins. I remember there being a 12:1 goblin:dwarf civ ratio in world gen.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 11:00:40 am »

also the ethic for gobos killing other gobos is a personal matter iirc

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 03:42:31 pm »

Well this is a reclaim, so maybe they moved in after the blood orgy killed the last group but before the new guys showed up. Odd still, as I only learned of them a few months in.

There you go: when you reclaim your fort the goblins that were attacking it before you abandoned (even if they were still sneaking around the map and not engaged) remain there.

When you reclaim they treat you as a dear friend and attack all enemies.

This will end the moment you get a siege: at that point they will turn on you.

However, if any of them get named while killing their fellow greenskins, they will be counted as an enemy of the goblin civilization and will still act as defenders.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »

When you reclaim they treat you as a dear friend and attack all enemies.

This will end the moment you get a siege: at that point they will turn on you.

However, if any of them get named while killing their fellow greenskins, they will be counted as an enemy of the goblin civilization and will still act as defenders.
Interesting. I just experimented with a reclaim (of course they parked the wagon at the very peak of the 16-z tower) and saw all my hundreds of caged goblin & troll prisoners hanging around outside my castle walls. Makes me consider the possibilities of building a big fort, then reclaiming with a very low population cap, thus creating a fortress with a ruling class of noble & craftsdwarves, and a goblin warrior caste. By the time the dwarves breed enough to attract a siege, at least a gew of the goblins would likely have earned names.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 05:39:23 am »

Sounds like different goblin civs, I've seen it reported a lot with multiple goblin civs and enough reclaim after being slaughtered by them. If you had any idea what civ was the old and the new that's attacked, then you could tell. It can be found under 'c' in fortress mode, but I don't think that older one will be remember on reembark.
Goblins decorate their armour. One can examine helm of a killed gobbo and see whether the symbols on it match those from previous dead goblins or those that are on heads of newly arriving greenskeens.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

InfinityOrNone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 12:40:20 pm »

Nope. All of them are native to The Amusing Immortality. Odd.

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 12:59:13 pm »

Nope. All of them are native to The Amusing Immortality. Odd.

Sounds quite amusing...