Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragons, and other creatures with flame breath  (Read 465 times)

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragons, and other creatures with flame breath
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:04 am »

Im wondering, my current fort is about 20 years old, ive killed 2 titans that arrived overland with my crack squad, they seemed relatively easy. 1 of them had poison but no one received any wounds. Ive got 5 Forgotten beasts wandering lvl 1 atm but im not opening the cavern up till ive trained more squads. (are forgotten beasts tougher than titans ?)

The last fort I had, which I abandoned when I discovered the growth bug I saw a creatures with flame breath for the first time. I cant remember what it was but there was a goblin siege at the time and it went postal on them burning several.

Frankly the fire breath was somewhat alarming. Im curious, does anyone know what the mechanics are for fire breath ?

Does a shield have a chance of blocking flame breath ? Ive been making nether cap shields in the hope that they may be better at defending flame based attacks but im just hoping/guessing here (and im currently thinking it likely im wasting my time). Does armour do anything at all to flame breath ? (should really only increase the cookability of dwarves but you never know...)

Cheers

EDIT just found a line in the wiki stating that dragon fire is blockable by a shield user. I was looking in the wrong place.

I wonder if a standard wooden shield would be set on fire blocking dragon fire ?

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:33:29 am by sirdvae79 »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons, and other creatures with flame breath
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:13:10 am »

Any shield can block anything that moves and attack, short of cave-in, if successful. They'll even use shield to block fall damage if you let them.

Even dragonfire doesn't scratches a badly made leather shield when blocked :D

Armor doesn't do anything since flame breath from dragons are way too hot, above melting or boiling point of bluemetal. Shield's just... odd.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:08:55 pm »

Forgotten beasts are "the same" as titans, just underground.  I use quotes because both types are randomly generated and range from easy for a stray dog to kill to likely to kill 30 or 40 veteran soldiers if you aren't careful.  There are some minor spoilers there, but the Forgotten Beast wiki page has good information about them (most of which applies to titans too).
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 12:16:15 pm »

one of the issues with the above ground version is that your dwarfs are getting burned by the flaming vegetation as well.  doubt the shield has any value there.  And smoke inhalation is at least an unhappy thought ... not sure on the medical aspects since I didn't have time to check
Ellipsis free since August 2013.