Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: You are a Grandmaster!  (Read 2407 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Grandmaster!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 04:15:40 pm »

Name: Fu Ku Yu
Disciple
Backstory: Fu Ku Yu was the son of a businessman. And his fathers business was farmland. He always bought up every piece of farmland he could find, until he owned half the land in the county! Unfortunately, he was also an incredibly greedy man, and frequently stole from the shrines to dead Grandmasters. As such, his son was born with no ability to defend himself and a tendency to attract the attacks of others. Fu Ku Yu has joined the monastery in an effort to atone for his fathers foolishness.
Karma Spent: -1 Ignorance [Martial Arts] -1 Curse [Fist Magnet] -1 Injury [Constantly Broken Nose] 7 Parcels of farmland
Karma Remaining: 0
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 04:28:15 pm »

Accepted! Please tell us where this farmland is and what is being grown on it.

You all can begin RPing. Petitioners should present their petition to the Grandmaster, and Disciples should be doing something appropriately disciple-like. Maybe mediating on one foot atop a bamboo stalk?

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »

"Grandmaster, I humbly petition for a place in your temple"  Bow appropriately
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:49:58 pm by wolfchild »
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 09:17:01 pm »

And before I forget:

Rolling 5d6 to determine the current state of the Monastery:
[3] At the foot of Mount Shen stands the last surviving fortress of the ancient Shen Shogunate. Forty years ago, the Last Shogun of Shen was defeated in battle and his son, now Duke Shen was forced to swear his fealty to the Emperor of the Isles and abandon his martial retreat for a place in the Capital City. [1] As the Shogun's Son deals with the politics of the Capital, the Grandson of the Shogun has founded the House of Peace within the mouldering and blood-stained walls of his ancient wooden keep. The wooden walls have mostly caved in on themselves due to neglect, but [6] the stone cellars are still completely intact, containing [1d6=4 karma] 200 Koku worth of provisions. [4] Additionally, caverns in the side of Mount Shen have proven able enough housing for the few devoted disciples of the Resting Tiger, at least until the Monastery can be rebuilt. [5] Duke Shen is expected to send architects and builders in three seasons, and hopes that his son will have stone and wood ready for them.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 09:55:33 pm »

PTW

Spoiler: Karluf (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 12:11:10 am »

Petitioners should present their petition to the Grandmaster

Jian

"Oh, Great Shen Kuang Ying! Honorable Grandmaster of the Resting Tiger style and headmaster of the House of Peace Atop the Mountain. I, Jian of Nanjing, merchant and carpenter of some renown, have come to petition you. I have always wanted to run a martial arts school, and I have lousy luck with romance and juggling. I, therefore, request that you abdicate your position and hand the House of Peace to me, and give me your daughters to become my wives and juggling instructors. But mostly wives. Also, since I have no knowledge of martial arts, and I think that might be at least marginally useful for someone running a martial arts school...not that I know for sure because I've never trained in martial arts let alone run a martial arts school but I think it's a reasonable guess...I ask that you stay on as my head instructor and personal errand boy. You may have Wednesdays off. I think that's pretty fair."

"Oh, Grandmaster Shen Kuang Ying! How do you respond to my petition?"

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 05:28:38 am »

Shen looks at the petitioners and strokes his beard.

"I see. Please, my brothers will lead you to your rooms. Please, make yourself comfortable and meet me here in the afternoon.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 05:29:22 am »

Go to rooms
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 06:41:38 am »

'I request a room near water and some aloe leaves for my burns, Grandmaster.'
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 07:44:02 am »

((The farmland grows poppies because his father liked to sell them off as opiates to make MUCH PROFIT <his father's catchphrase
I imagine it is fairly close to the monastery.))

Fu Ku Yu is carrying water up from the well on buckets tied to his fingers. Because KUNG FU SHIT.

Indeed, I do this.

RedMao

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 07:23:33 am »

Politely greet the Grandmaster, and request a friendly two-hit spar, as a warmup for the both of us. (If it is accepted, assume Catstand  with a double neutral knifehand. Put extra weight on the backleg, and prepare for an assault by responding with an open palmed low block, unassisted.)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 10:13:33 am »

assume Catstand
Catstand

*Educational pedantry mode engaged*

This is a catstand:

This is a cat standing:

This is a wushu-style cat stance. More properly, xuan ji bu. Note that none of those words mean "cat."

This is a karate-style cat stance. More properly, nekoashi dachi. In this case, "neko" actually does mean cat:

This is a cat, in cat stance:

And this is a cat doing capoeira instead of cat stance:

Thank you for reading this public service announcement.

Educational pedantic mode disabled. You may now resume your regularly scheduled forum thread.

RedMao

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 05:22:02 pm »

I wasn't aware of the English name. As Cheesecake will know, as we used to train in the same club briefly, the instructor explains primarily in Chinese. Anyway, I'll do more research next time, if you insist. The point of that statement, however, is to assume a typical defense against striking-based moves, allowing me to knock a striking-based attacker off their balance with ease, while only a grabbing based attack can easily break what I'm doing. I'm referring to the Taekwondo type, with 90% of one's bodyweight on the back leg.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 08:41:29 am »

I can tell already that with LordBucket on board, I will be learning quite a bit about different martial arts styles :)

Indeed, I do this.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2013, 12:05:52 am »

Did this die?

I guess I could babble some more about martial arts or post more pictures of cats. Or I could point out that all our characters are obviously Chinese even though the game is set in Japan. But wasn't this supposed to be a game where we submit turns and things?

The point of that statement, however, is to assume a typical defense against striking-based moves, allowing me to knock a striking-based attacker off their balance with ease, while only a grabbing based attack can easily break what I'm doing. I'm referring to the Taekwondo type, with 90% of one's bodyweight on the back leg.

I've been holding this back for days. Seriously? You want to go into cat to knock somebody else off balance?

only a grabbing based attack can easily break what I'm doing

No, all they have to do is walk through you and you fall over. Ironically, a takedown from cat is about the last thing I'd expect, seeing you in the position you describe. I'd be expecting a front kick, because that and guarding your testicles are about the only things cat stance is good for.

Seriously, try this: you get in cat stance and have somebody of similar competance in ready stance a few feet in front of you. Have them put both arms out like a zombie and walk towards you quickly. But tell him not to stop and stand there and let you do your thing. Instead tell him to just keep walking right through you. Nothing fancy, just walk. Go ahead and try to take him down, and see which one of you has an easier time staying upright.

Next, try it again, but instead of cat, just stand there normally. Have him do the zombie thing.

Let us know which is easier for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3