Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to figure out when I will start to experience FPS death...  (Read 394 times)

TwistedTime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find anyone's system specs to compare to mine. My main reason for asking is so I would have an idea of what size embark and pop cap I should set for myself so I won't get an early FPS death.

I already know about all the various things that can/will affect FPS. I just want to know your system specs(Just the CPU... and maybe the RAM too if you want to bother checking it.) are and under what situation(s) do you experience FPS death(# of dwarves and animals, embark size, if any liquid is flowing, if you dug into any caverns, if the clowns have been unleashed, age of fortress, ect.).

My specs : CPU : 3750k running at 4.5GHz
RAM : 8 GBs running at either 1800 or 1866(kind of forgot which one lol.) with 9-9-9-20 timings.

Situations when I have FPS death : Unknown.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:52:56 pm by TwistedTime »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to figure out when I will start to experience FPS death...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 08:08:07 pm »

At what FPS number do you consider it FPS death?   I have to ask because there was one guy in here a couple weeks back that considered droping under 200 to be FPS death.

That said I'm runing similar specs and I can maintain over 50 fps on a 200 dwarf fotress with a couple water reactors, fair number of animals, and with a siege runing. turning off the reactors and cageing the animals and finishing off the siege brings it back up into the 100s.

TwistedTime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 08:43:05 pm »

I usually have the game running on a 60 FPS cap, so I can't imagine what it would be like trying to play the game at 200 FPS. Under 20 is when I think I might throw in the towel... I will have to see tho.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:15:51 am »

Ya I told him he was kinda nuts for thinking under 200 was slow.  also I double checked and misread what you posted I'm runin a 3570k not the 3750k you have so your actualy a bit faster than my rig.   most likely you'll need a very old fort with alot of crap going on to drop significantly past your 60 cap.  Just keep a reasonable population cap and dont let a catsplosion happen and you should be fine

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:59:53 am »

I caps mine to 100 and my personal minimum tolerable for normal fortress' around 10-20. I only plays 2x2 embarks since my computer is a bit on weak side. I usually ends up with around 30 or 40ish FPS with 100-150 dwarves after around 40 to 60 years ( popcap of 50, birth percentage of 10% ) and drilled down to magma ocean without the clowns. I plays pocket worlds too, mostly because of faster gens.

I think my computer's spec is approxmately half of yours, speed-wise, with 2 gigabytes of memory. I think you could tolerate 4x4 embark decently from specs.