Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: yet another spiraling fortress  (Read 941 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
yet another spiraling fortress
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:59:09 pm »

So I was feeling pretty happy about the world generation giving me no goblins at start up so I would have more time to build before having to turtle up (civs started with just dwarves, later kobolds, then humans ... I'm guessing it was a 'very short' history choice that started them later and that goblins would come later)

So I was finishing up the plumbing and hospital and working up a design so the civilian burrow during siege would have everything ....

Hill titan ... flying; made of flame and shooting fireballs setting everything on fire ... creates smoke so can't find him ... A) of all how cool is that?!  B) the training squad was dispatched and very shortly most of them died of blood loss (got no reports on the whole thing for some reason) ... when I could catch him on screen the loo(k) didn't show him as having taken any damage ... dunno if that is normal ... filled out a second squad and sent them just in case the hill titan was weakening .... so 20 dwarfs dead or maimed ... and he's inside the front door ... the spiral hit fast ... dwarfs start falling from other dwarfs .... I hesitated on burrowing the civs because I was watching to see if the surround wall and drawbridge stopped him ... constructed wall seemed to but he destroyed the drawbridge right away

Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: yet another spiraling fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 03:46:02 pm »

This is in df questions... so what exactly is your question? ???

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »

this was your opportunity to produce info such as:
"their weapons would not have hurt him anyway" or
"you were done for unless ..."

even answering the only actual question in my post with:
"not so cool pretty common and lame"

Frankly I don't read other portions of the forum unless my search takes me there ... I guess I forget it exists

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 04:43:39 pm »

Generally, titans and fbs that are made of flame are super easy to dispatch. Their 'tissue' is relatively flimsy and a single strike can and will pop them like an overgrown balloon. Your issue here seems to be that the RNG just shat all over you and gave it both fireball powers AND flying. So in order to take him out, you'd need multiple marksdwarves. I say multiple because, I mean come on, FIREBALLS. Unless the first one gets that lucky shot, he's eating a Charizard Special right to the beerhole. As for weapons not being able to harm him... unless i'm mistaken, he's considered unarmored for all intents and purposes, and even a wooden bolt would ruin his day.

Edit; I do agree though that this is my favourite section of the forum and I am loathe to post in the others. I normally stick here when I can involve  a question, or ''dwarf fortress general'' when I just need to go ''holy shit guys, look!"
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:45:27 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 03:47:13 am »

sending your dwarves out to fight may not have been the best idea, particularly if they were not marks dwarves.   You might have had better luck if you'd forced it to come into a tunnle so it was confined on a single Z lvl and had a nice fireing line waiting for it to mass fire the moment it came into range instead of having  it able to pick your soldiers off 1 at a time.   a single lucky hit is all it should take to kill that thing.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:46:13 am »

I went back to try and salvage ... he couldn't come in for some reason (3 wide hall for wagons) maybe he could ONLY fly and they cannot fly inside ... but my gate led to a straight hall and he sat out side cherry picking the length of the hall ... tried to paint a burrow to spec but apparently dwarfs will cross non burrow to reach burrow .... couldn't get any dwarf to mine a different path to the beverage and general stockpile section ... ended up with the mayor unconscious from hand wound laying in the hospital with one child ... child died and just as mayor was dying some immigrants walked onto the map and one promptly became mayor hehe .... naturally despite my attempts to squad them and send then to safe ground to tunnel a new entrance they decided they were 'front door company' after all .... 
perhaps extensive forbidding on the entry level would have let me limp to future glory ... I wonder if he'll still be there it I try to reclaim later

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:03:03 pm »

flying titans still go for melee if they can, they're not like bowgobs on flying mounts. What happened to your militia at least the first squad is that they were walking on a burning map. the fire was hurting them. Currently fire hurts through causing bleeding in a creatures fat layer, so yes, the fire caused your squad to bleed out. If you can't find the FB, it should appear on the unit list regardless if you can find it.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:19:42 pm »

flying titans still go for melee if they can, they're not like bowgobs on flying mounts. What happened to your militia at least the first squad is that they were walking on a burning map. the fire was hurting them. Currently fire hurts through causing bleeding in a creatures fat layer, so yes, the fire caused your squad to bleed out. If you can't find the FB, it should appear on the unit list regardless if you can find it.

you mean they go for melee when the dwarfs survives the fireball LOL

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 02:43:28 pm »

true that.Do shields work vs fireballs?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 03:26:57 pm »

Shields are the only thing that work, without modding. The shield protects the whole body by not allowing the hit to connect at all. Armour does not protect the whole body, as it leaves toes and fingers available for incineration.

Dodging is also an option.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 04:33:23 pm »

I wonder if he'll still be there it I try to reclaim later
He sure will.  Although he will have moved to a random location somewhere, just like all of the items from the fort get scattered everywhere.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 07:13:49 pm »

flying titans still go for melee if they can, they're not like bowgobs on flying mounts.
Let me get this straight... flier-mounted goblins can fly and shoot?

Man, if only our dwarves could mount...
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 08:26:23 pm »

just like all of the items from the fort get scattered everywhere.

You know, i've always wondered. Why is this a thing? I could understand the fort being 'trashed' by any invaders, but to have corpses and various pieces of clothing strewn about outside, no where even near my fortress? It makes me not want to reclaim just because it would take an hour just to clean everything up.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 06:01:56 pm »

Christ, OP, give the ellipses a rest. There are other kinds of punctuation, and it's a lot more pleasant to read without... this... everywhere... not to mention more grammatically correct.

just like all of the items from the fort get scattered everywhere.

You know, i've always wondered. Why is this a thing? I could understand the fort being 'trashed' by any invaders, but to have corpses and various pieces of clothing strewn about outside, no where even near my fortress? It makes me not want to reclaim just because it would take an hour just to clean everything up.

I think you can use bridges to make 'vaults', though i'm not sure on that aspect.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 07:52:41 pm »

I think you can use bridges to make 'vaults', though i'm not sure on that aspect.
I don't think that works, but storing items in heavy bins makes them scatter less.