Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Speed the game up?  (Read 1833 times)

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Speed the game up?
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:47:00 pm »

Is there speed controls in the game? Cheetah and turtle in simcity?

Thanks,
Dave

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Speed the game up?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

As far as I know, it's impossible.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 02:45:00 pm »

It's running as fast as it can, all the time.  If you want it to run slower, you can exit and change the max FPS in the init files, but unless you do that, DF runs as fast as your computer can possibly make it run.

It isn't artificially slow.  It really is calculating THAT MUCH between steps.

teabing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 02:56:00 pm »

are you sure?  I think i'v seen mine max out at 100 fps and stop when i have sparse forts.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »

The video toady posted of flows was moving pretty fast. I'd assume he turned up the speed on his game; it's certainly technically possible, just not available to us.

melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kieranmillar.com
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

Inside the ini file is a FPS limit, which is set to 100 by default. I think you can raise it to 200, but I don't know how many computers could handle that.

Obviously, the more stuff in your fort, the faster it will go, always maxing out at the limit set in the ini file.

For my rubbish laptop, it never goes above 30 FPS in game. Even the main menu only manages 75 FPS, which is quite laughable.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 03:41:00 pm »

In the videos, I just have a debug option which is the equivalent of setting [SPEED:1] on everybody.  It doesn't speed up the rest of the game.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »

I think this game could do with speeding up some, it's just annoying to have single digit FPS. I know that you have many many other things to do, but still... the speed that the game runs at sometimes is just painful.

Zhentar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>In the videos, I just have a debug option which is the equivalent of setting [SPEED:1] on everybody.  It doesn't speed up the rest of the game.</STRONG>

Why did that not occur to me?    :o

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

Yeah, it was the movie that prompted me to ask this question. They were zipping around cleaning up the place. It was quite nice. I understand that the game is calculation intensive. I've been reading the dev post about the new water system and z-level digging.

Thanks for the reply Toady! I hope you realize what a masterpiece your game already is even in it's early state.

Dave

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 06:02:00 pm »

I have no idea what kind of ancient hardware some of you are using. I have my cap set to 500 fps, and until the first wave of migrants shows, I am between 350-450 fps. (The dwarfs FLY around, with no speed hacks, and I can get through the first year in about 15 minutes.) Once I get up to about 150 dwarfs, I get about 50 fps average.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

its the slowdown to 50 thats the problem.  how much would be lost if the game only rendered every other or every third frame, or something?

also, setting everyones speed to 1 will slow down the game, considreably.  sure, more will get done in less time.  dwarfs will move very fast.  but time will crawl.  seasons will take forever to roll over.  and any events you might be waiting for, well they we be awfully slow in coming.

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

I play DF on a 2 Ghz machine, (does some math) your computer must have 10x the processing power of mine!  *sighs* I wish I had a faster computer... What kind of PC do you have anyway?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

RELEVANT:
p4-3.2 ghz, HT enabled
ASUS p4b motherboard (good mobo helps)
1 gb Kingston ECC ram

IRRELEVANT:
160gb 10k rpm SATA drive
ATI 9600XT w/256mb ram

Highly tweaked 2kpro as OS, see my screenshot of my task manager here.

not overclocked or anything, either.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
<STRONG>its the slowdown to 50 thats the problem.  how much would be lost if the game only rendered every other or every third frame, or something?</STRONG>

Frame skipping only helps speed when the graphics calculations are slowing down the back-end calculations.  This is not the case with DF.

Pages: [1] 2