Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortifications backfire?  (Read 1232 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortifications backfire?
« on: April 16, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

Okay, there is no real way to see which way a fortification points out for marksmen to fire from. Is it possible that enemy archers could use these same fortifications against dwarves if they were some how built incorrectly? Or is it that dwarves always are on the right side, and enemies are always in the 'bout-to-be-pwnt side?
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jpolito.zlique.org/
Re: Fortifications backfire?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »

Fortifications allow arrows to flow freely through both sides of the wall. Essentially, they are just walls with holes in them that allow liquids and miasma to freely pass through them. I regret building any. Many dwarves have been lost to the goblin sieges when standing behind my front-fortress fortifications.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »

Well, except they don't let through any liquids, except for natural floods...

Fortifications don't face any specific direction- they're just holes in the wall. Goblins can fire through them just as well as you can- the benefit comes from the fact that they can't charge through them and hack at your vulnerable crossbowdwarves with their melee units.

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

I thought there was code that made it so that it's extremely hard to fire through a fortification from a distance, meaning that a dwarf standing directly behind a fortification is in a much better position than a goblin ten squares away trying to fire back. Makes sense.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:01:00 pm »

There is one, but I don't think its extremely hard. There's just a check but higher level bowman don't really care about it

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

That code could do with a tweak, for sure. Fortifications are next to useless at the moment, when goblin archers are around. They aren't bad for killing off cave creatures though.

[ April 17, 2007: Message edited by: TotalPigeon ]

JPolito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jpolito.zlique.org/
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:38:00 pm »

They're also pretty useful for quickly killing berserk fey mood dwarves through the walls of the workshop.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 08:12:00 pm »

Murder holes for the workshops? BRILLIANT! I really am going to have to steal that idea. Normally when they go berserk, I just keep the door locked and they die eventually. Also fortifications are great for massive tree farms. Not that that has anything to do with marksdwarfs...

My whole inside river bank is fortifications followed by massive stone storage rooms and tree farms all-in-one.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 09:51:00 pm »

IIRC, engraved walls take into account from which side the engraver stood when making them. So maybe it's possible to do the same with murderholes and arrowslits.