Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Antivegan  (Read 3592 times)

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
Re: Antivegan
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 04:02:35 am »

For me the main problem with mead is that you can't set pressing honeycombs to auto like web collecting or tallow processing.
This means you have to watch for every harvest and personally queue the job, which gets frustrating as number of honeycombs usually fluctuates near zero.

Well, the reaction isn't hardcoded. You can just add [AUTOMATIC] to it in the reaction_other file.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 05:11:21 am »

Oh, that's how it's done. Thanks.

Also, it funny that no one has even considered drinking water yet. Isn't this restriction about pain and suffering?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 05:29:18 am »

Also, it funny that no one has even considered drinking water yet. Isn't this restriction about pain and suffering?

More about maintaining productivity without resorting to growing crops (which the stupid dwarves will eat no matter what your challenge stipulations against such a thing.) water and productivity don't mix with dwarves.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 05:49:56 am »

I saw a while back a mod that adds reactions to create alcoholic beverages from animal blood and extracts which I suppose would be useful for such a fort.

Several exist. One is in sig, with vermin brewable. Other can be found in community mods thread. But it's not really much of a challenge if you can just brew animal products. More interesting if you try to survive on traded booze and mead for sure.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 05:50:36 am »

More about maintaining productivity without resorting to growing crops (which the stupid dwarves will eat no matter what your challenge stipulations against such a thing.) water and productivity don't mix with dwarves.

There're some crops that can be used to brew without dwarves eating them. Pigtail, cave wheat and sweet pods comes to mind, none of them are edible raw, a couple of them have to be processed and cooked and pigtail aren't processed into edible stuff. They can be brewed, though, booze's cookable, so are seeds, but it's easy to separate them.

I think there're rope reed and a couple other surface crops that could be done that way.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 05:58:43 am »

My thought for doing this is just to be as un-elflike as possible.  To be in the greatest possible discord with nature.   Show Gaza who's boss.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 07:07:26 am »

if we're going by that, just get a dragon and burn the world
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 08:39:05 am »

I'm a vegetarian...  I see the point here, to avoid animal products.  If we're going THERE, then let's go there.

Plant products are directly edible (plump helmets, strawberries), brewable (pig tails, sweet pods), wearable (pig tails, dimple cup), or make an ingredient for cooking (sweet pods, cave wheat).

When you remove these, then you remove the most immediately available food source, being raw plants.  You also remove half of your available booze production, your entire civilian clothing options, and many cooking ingredients.

What replacements are there?  For food, there's easily fish and cattle, and if you mod then you can eat goblins and elves.  For booze, you're reailly in trouble, because mead is the only other option.  If you trade for booze, it's still plant booze.  The easiest way to maintain drinking stock  for dwarves would either be modding, or restricted sobriety.  For modding, you can add multiples of bees.  Copy the honeybee entry in the raws, then simply rename the entry so you don't have duplicate raws.  DF has a hardcoded 40-50 limit per creature species.  After reaching this amount, they no longer breed, and beekeepers refuse to handle the bees.  If there's two species of bees, then you get two full populations.

For forced sobriety, use burrows.  Dwarves will only leave a burrow if their life depends on it - to run from an enemy, to eat, and to drink.  If placed in a burrow that does not include the booze stockpile, they will only leave it when they're about to die of dehydration.  Thus, they'll drink MUCH less often, be in much poorer moods, and be slower to do anything.

Wearables are your next biggest hurdle.  You can make leather armor, but not leather clothing, so your civilians will have to be armored, or be depressed.  Being armored isn't a bad idea, mind you, but you'd have to handle all the different squads...

Obviously the cooking part isn't a big deal.

Either way, you're looking at depressed, slow dwarves stacked on pure meat and leather.  Invest in mist generators.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 08:46:38 am »

Clothing shouldn't be a problem - you still have yarn and silk as options for normal clothiering (and theoretically adamantine, but that'd be silly). More importantly, leather can be used to make all clothing items apart from socks. And leather can be imported in crazy amounts.

No, the big problem will be booze, and without modding you're pretty much screwed on that front.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 08:51:03 am »

Burrows would be the key to keeping them from drinking everything instantly.  The cook would probably be the only happy dwarf in the whole fortress.

Also, Mead is one type of booze.  Expect bad moods even when they get a drink!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 10:58:04 am »

If one modded in other bee types, I would expect bumblebee and honeybee meads to be recognized as different for the purposes of positive/negative thoughts regarding drink variety. It's not a huge mod either (relative to fermenting milk), since bumblebees already exist in the game.

But really, as a challenge, the unmodded game really provides. Girlinhat's suggestion of burrows to prevent the consumption of alcohol as soon as it's produced seems like a good solution.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Yerv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 11:04:23 am »

Do we have to drink mead or water? We could easily just turn all our dorfs into vampires and make them slow moving sober hairy midgets that drink blood.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 11:23:15 am »

Do we have to drink mead or water? We could easily just turn all our dorfs into vampires and make them slow moving sober hairy midgets that drink blood.

Way to think outside of the +granite coffer+, Yerv.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 11:31:08 am »

Looking at OP's question, I realize that plant gathering would be necessary, if only out of being able to grow more trees. Last few embarks I did, shrubs almost choked out the trees before I gathered them up on both surface and underground. Might as well put those to work?

It'd improve tree growth, which means more wood to chop down, which means more charcoal or wood product and so on.

Well, of course, there're magma, but that don't works for muddied stone plots :D

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:28 am »

Clothing shouldn't be a problem - you still have yarn and silk as options for normal clothiering (and theoretically adamantine, but that'd be silly). More importantly, leather can be used to make all clothing items apart from socks. And leather can be imported in crazy amounts.

No, the big problem will be booze, and without modding you're pretty much screwed on that front.

Warning: slight derailment possible with consideration of following query!

Am I the only one who tries to use all of the available options for making clothing, fitting the various materials into the full outfit according to RL properties of the material? Silk socks and shirts, wool mittens and caps, leather cloaks and hoods, cloth trousers and tunics, etc.?
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5