Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: voracious cave crawlers destroying Hamebrand  (Read 1029 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
voracious cave crawlers destroying Hamebrand
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:20:28 am »

I'm no inexperienced overseer. I've weathered Moria and what not.

I train my military in pairs for sparring and I know how weapons work against large enemies and when they dont work.

But the mighty Deathgrasp the Grizzle of Toes has now killed 5-6 militarydwarves . It seems particular fond of dismembering them. It also plays games with us, it will "kite" the military dwarves and take them out quickly in singular combat and then continue running. It will also target civilians close by. And it's not the first cave crawler to attack.

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: voracious cave crawlers destroying Hamebrand
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:51 am »

Buddy, I don't know how to tell you this, but I think you might have a Cave Badger on your hands. Usually disguise themselves as other, less viscous creatures. Abandon all hope, etc. and so on.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 01:07:23 pm »

Do you have any marksdwarves or hunters? Try using those (but make sure they stay out of range of the cave crawler).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 01:49:10 pm »

I've had some luck using too many crossbow dwarves against angry cavern life :D

Of course, they don't do very well once once crawlers get in grappling range, they're surprisingly vicious. Doesn't helps that one of them are at least ten, maybe fifteen times the size of a dwarf when fully grown. And that's without native growth bug.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:35:50 pm »

It sounds like you are going about this all wrong.

Trap it inside a bridge fed room.

Let's say the cave crawler has a grapple distance of 3 to 4 tiles. What you do, is channel out a rectangle around a pillar, that is that wide. Install retracting bridges. Station a delicious dwarf on the pillar, with the bridges deployed. Cave crawler sees the fat beer soaked midget, and wants a bite. It paths onto the pillar.  Pull the lever to retract the bridges. 

The poor sucker on the pillar is doomed. (I suggest a lye maker) but afterwards, the cave crawler cannot path close enough to any other dwarves to hurt them.

Set up a firing line, and make it into a pin coushion.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 06:36:48 pm »

Don't even have to lose a dwarf.  Just put up a door, and then let the crawler enter the room and be sealed in by a bridge as it goes to destroy the door.  Proceed with pin-cushioning from there via fortifications or a balcony.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 09:09:38 am »

It went through 6 stonefall traps before a rock hit it's head. I think the body composition and the size of this thing makes it a lot tougher against normal strength dwarves than you'd expect. The same military that dispatched a normal material forgotten beast was the one that fell to this thing.

It's time to cage these thing, add [TRAIN] and have war crawlers to use vs mine many enemies.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:44:19 am »

It's time to cage these thing, add [TRAIN] and have war crawlers to use vs mine many enemies.

A cage trap is your best option here, but be careful about keeping it trained; animals that revert to their wild state keep the trap-avoid status that comes from being a member of the fort.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 05:19:17 pm »

The real enemy is the cavern lay-out: that is what lets them play games with your dwarves. Clear the area with a mining squad and set up some archer stalagmites unreachable from the cavern but able to shoot. The mining squad should, incidentally, be great at handling the voracious cave crawler (pick strikes brain).

Control the space and you will never have to worry about a cavern monster.

Unless it has deadly dust, then run.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?