Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Large blob FB composed of flame, killable?  (Read 1227 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Large blob FB composed of flame, killable?
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:30:52 pm »

Okay, I've got this flame blob of a FB (fire spitting too) hanging out at the edge of the map down in the second cavern level (no pathway to the first level) and I want to send my squad of swordsdwarves after it.

HOWEVER, I've heard about these otherwise unkillable blob titans/FBs which can only be killed with a cave in (though that isn't exactly an option here. Being made of fire, maybe I can douse it with water?), so, I'm checking if it can be killed. It has a tail, if that matters.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Large blob FB composed of flame, killable?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »

Not sure if that one would be killable or not but why couldnt you cavin kill him?   you dont have to cavin where he's at. hollow out a room somewhere 2 z lvls high.  Build a support in the middle of the room.  Channle out the edges of the floor of the room above (or build a floor), link support to lever.   Now pastur some bait next to the support and open a path from the cavein room to the FB.   It will either go for the bait or for the support, either way yank that lever and watch the FB go squish.   oh and make sure you can seal that room off after you open the path to it, dont want the FB trying to get into your main fort.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »

Liquid and gaseous based FB's (e.g. water, fire, snow, steam) will die easily because their tissues are fragile and will simply be smashed apart. I killed a mud titan blob in adventurer mode once just by throwing things at it.

Though I will warn you that fire-based beasts have a tendency to explode upon death, in my experience.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:06:14 pm by BlackFlyme »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:34:49 pm »

They are clad in iron armor, so they should be ok.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:14:53 am »

Okay, killable is defined as being able to kill it and being able to kill it is defined as your dwarves actually attacking and they DIDN'T!

I tried to have them station near the FB to get them to attack because setting to attack entity didn't work and despite having a wide open path to the fort, the FB didn't even budge. It did melt three of my soldiers though.

I should have suspected something when the wardogs I had dumped down there to explore didn't even attack either.

Since it's at the edge of the map, i can't use a cavein directly on it and since it refuses to budge and nothing I send near it will attack it, I have to use a cavein as close to it as I can get it. If that fails, I'll try dousing it with water.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:23:00 am by smjjames »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:39:10 am »

If it's not moving you could try dumping rocks on its head from above.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:55:57 am »

I could try that, yes. Though it just melted one of my miners.....

Actually, no, wait, it's on the VERY edge of the map, where I can't channel. Is this like the stuck at map edge bug, except with a forgotten beast? I don't want to use DFhack to kill it.......

I'll try plan d, douse it with water (actually plan c, but d just fits better) in the morning.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:15:50 am by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:02:25 am »

marksdwarves ignore it too? one hit from anything should kill it

it's immune to being doused with water. It might create steam tough. I've had a FB made of fire happily swim through (and evaporate) an underground lake
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 02:54:52 am »

marksdwarves ignore it too? one hit from anything should kill it

it's immune to being doused with water. It might create steam tough. I've had a FB made of fire happily swim through (and evaporate) an underground lake

I don't have marksdwarves right now, but I do have some that are skilled in it.

I could try the cavein again, just have to rethink my setup and do it in a way that won't expose the dwarves, not to mention 'task cancelled by forgotten beast'.

I don't know why the war dogs and the swordsdwarves ignored it and I don't want to risk getting another of my dwarves melted. It also should have bee lined for the opening that I had made, even stationed the soldiers to intercept it.

This is turning out to be a whole lot less easy than I thought it would be.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:59:01 am by smjjames »

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 06:00:17 am »

Just station your marksdwarves ontop of it. The moment they see it theyll open fire so yoy neednt worry about stationing them far away. Also if its not doing anything wall it away?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:55:47 am »

In case you haven't heard, it spits fire and has already killed some of my dwarves.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 09:12:54 am »

In case you haven't heard, it spits fire and has already killed some of my dwarves.
Well losses are to be expected :P use fortifications?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 09:40:40 am »

Hm, perhaps I'll try the marksdwarf idea first since using a cavein might displace it out of range or view.

EEP! Another FB just showed up, lets deal with this blob first.

Edit: -.- It walked back off the map. FEAR ME! BWAHAHA! OR maybe it went to find another way around.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:55:41 am by smjjames »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 09:56:15 am »

Ignoring a FB is a valid defense too.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 10:03:53 am »

Hm, perhaps I'll try the marksdwarf idea first since using a cavein might displace it out of range or view.

EEP! Another FB just showed up, lets deal with this blob first.

Edit: -.- It walked back off the map. FEAR ME! BWAHAHA! OR maybe it went to find another way around.

It's still in the embark, just in the shadows ( the area your dwarves haven't seen yet, they have limited distance vision ). Have fun :D
Pages: [1] 2