Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 919

Author Topic: Everything: Gaiden  (Read 520643 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Everything: Gaiden
« Reply #7770 on: January 08, 2014, 05:42:16 am »

((Ooh! Gimme a minute while I look for the page again.))

Would you prefer me to tell it professionally or just as I am?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: January 08, 2014, 05:43:37 am »

"Which ever suits you better."
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: January 08, 2014, 05:44:44 am »

Very well.

Trickster swirls as a shadow into a nearby rocking chair. It begins rocking back and forth.
((Gimme a bit to write the thing.))
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: January 08, 2014, 06:18:01 am »

Silica watches it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: January 08, 2014, 06:20:11 am »

The chair continues rocking back and forth as the shadow consolidates into the vague shape of a cloaked man.
After the dust and destuction of another universe had passed and gone, one still lingered, free from the crushing grasp of entropy. It was a very old thing that had survived the death of its cosmos, an unnaturally old thing.
It was bound by a curse, you see - a curse from the Originator of his realm, a curse that condemned him to live on forever even as he saw everything he touched fall into ruin. His weapons lost, his children killed in battle, his hair and teeth falling out from sheer age - but he would not die.
And so the old thing wandered the darkness between Creation, and avoided that which crawled there by luck and his curse alone. After a very long time, he came to a doorway in the infinite black he had paced for the last eternity. Curious as always, he opened it, and what came out from inside that door was everything, it was the sky and the sea and the air and everything that could possibly have existed, and it poured into him, made him stronger than all before that he had encountered, on a level with the Originator, even. But the power inside him was not an idle thing, and he held it for no more than a heartbeat before it burst out of him, tearing him apart but leaving him still alive as the magic from the door fashioned his undying soul into a new universe.
After ages had passed and the man was used to the change, that most important element began to ferment in his insides - potential. Potential for a new home, a new world to watch over as he had done in ages past. This potential attracted those from Outside, those he had hidden from in his eternity in the black. At first he shrank back from them and forbade them entrance, but the potential roiling in his gut pinned his entrances open and they flooded in.
The potential changed them upon exposure. They gained names, identities, powers, unique roles to play in the future world.
This was what the sheep called gods. He watched as they turned their arts to crafting a new world, and then life sprung up upon it as from seeds scattered upon dirt. He watched as civilizations rose and fell by the whim of the gods as his new body aged, though he did not. He watched as the gods fell away from one another and tore themselves apart. Eventually, he felt himself dying, and then realized the Originator's great scheme leading backwards into eternity.
At the end of time, the living universe would choose that which had sinned most during its lifespan and grant it the fate to become the next universe, always able to watch, but unable to interfere but in this last moment. So had it been with the Originator, and that before him, and that before him in turn, and on into the uncounted eons. But this one was different. He did not wish a pointless cycle to be perpetuated eternally, and so instead he took the shades of all those who has been mischevious, what was rule-breaking and capricous, and rebellious, and crafted it into one being. This last act took its lifeforce, and the newly born entity ate the corpse as a sign of respect.
From then on, nothing in the cycle of the cosmos was the same. No longer were universes born and ended in a stately procedure; instead the new entity danced between cosmoses and set things out of alignment, just a little, just enough to cause whatever goal it had in mind.
In that may, death gave rise to life, which in turn gave rise to something inbetween, and the ultimate fate of the universes will never be the same for it.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: January 08, 2014, 06:24:08 am »

"Your origin?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: January 08, 2014, 06:24:55 am »

He nods.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: January 08, 2014, 06:28:20 am »

"So that's why you often run into a raven... If you are here to move this world out of alignment, then does that mean that this world has an alignment? Order born of chaos for you to partially return to chaos?"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:32:08 am by Empiricist »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: January 08, 2014, 06:34:45 am »

Perhaps. What made my making unique in the cosmos is that I possessed free will when everything else on that scale acted according to function. I messed things up simply by existing because I didn't have a place in th cosmic order.
I am here because this is the one place I've found that doesn't seem to have a purpose of any sort. Every other place does, whether as a story, a battle, a death - but this place doesn't. It intrigues me.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: January 08, 2014, 06:36:02 am »

"Wouldn't messing stuff up count as a function though?"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: January 08, 2014, 06:39:17 am »

Perhaps, though none of the gods I've ever met deem it that way, heh.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: January 08, 2014, 06:41:08 am »

"Why do some worlds drag other people in? The ones that do have a function I mean."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: January 08, 2014, 06:43:14 am »

When a universe is created, it ferments fate inside it. This attracts souls from the beyond inbetween universes, and according to their strength each manage to eke out a certain amount of fate before they are born. It's an instinctual reaction with them.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: January 08, 2014, 06:45:01 am »

"So how does it select people. The last world I was in, which I was dragged into, I don't think I saw a single normal person."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: January 08, 2014, 06:47:45 am »

I do not know. Think of a suction effect; all souls in the vicinity are dragged in and take what amount of fate they can - and the more they take, the greater influence they have over the destiny of the world.
If you saw no one in that world, perhaps something went wrong with the creation of it. I've wandered far, but not far enough to know all.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 919