Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DING DONG The Suck is dead. (G'bye GFWL)  (Read 6204 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: DING DONG The Suck is dead. (G'bye GFWL)
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 02:22:39 pm »

Considering you shouldn't need achievements to have the game work and save properly and that they have even less effect than minor cheat codes do when only tracked out-of-game, thats acceptable collateral damage. If you need them, you can track them yourself or rig it like Matz said.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 02:36:51 pm »

But mah gamerscore*!  ;)

* which is quite low
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 03:42:03 pm »

Steam works well because it isn't obtrusive and doesn't annoy me unlike most other DRM platforms. Yes, waiting for games to update is annoying, but- oh, hey! A sale! Oooh! nifty indie games! Only one buck! what's that? a big game I've always been trying to get for just 3€? GIMME! Oh, and what's this? My internet is down? No worries, I can launch my games in offline mode with minimum bother! Oh, is someone annoying me? BLOCK THEM.

Steam works well because it is a service, not bullshit.
Amen!

While some game might cease to work, may i suggest cracks that bypass DRM? Its not like you are pirating them, you bought the game but the company soo fucking greedy they stop service required for you to play the game you fucking bought with your money!!!, so screw them and PLEASE do not use youtube to find these files.......

If you have more question reguarding secure step to not download bad files, feel free to PM me.

If i am steeping out of the line here simply delete this post and i wont mind.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:45:23 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »

No, that is singularly a SecuROM thing, and why it is the most terrible of choices. drm makers more recent than that seem to have noticed people hate things screwing with their computers more than things just breaking games involving their unnessesary added bits.

I thought so as only SecuROM could get EA sued for what happened with Spore, which is now the most pirated game of all time. I've been kind of out of the loop anyways though as my computer is a toaster. What exactly did Games for Windows Live do and why are people so upset about it? I mean besides the obvious bit with it being digital rights management, something that people are always going to be upset about and always going to try to bypass.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 01:27:40 pm »

Well, for one, it was often a 2nd or even 3rd layer of DRM. Second, it was a cheap and easy way for MP games to host the servers for players. Third, it had a slow, unresponsive, overly animated GUI (my personal least favorite thing.) Fourth, it broke often for some people, wiping out their save games (which GFWL stored), refusing connections, forgetting you owned software.....

Basically it was insult to injury in most places that it appeared. Like, Arkham City. First, you had to get it through Steam. Then, you had to install 3rd party DRM. THEN you had to log in through GFWL. Of all those things, GFWL always felt like an unnecessary 3rd wheel. Hence why it got most of the hate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 02:58:26 pm »

Steve Ballmer just stepped down as CEO of Microsoft. Probably directly related.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 03:45:19 pm »

as much as my stock values gone up 5%

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 04:04:56 pm »

I think you overestimate their chances.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 09:19:27 pm »

Of the big five game platforms (Steam, Impulse/GameStop, Origin, UPlay and GFWL), I find GFWL better than Origin, though not as good as UPlay (which I like less than Impulse). That's because Origin had in its EULA around its launch that it could go through your computer and look for stuff. Its license agreement was invasive. So no. Granted, I also didn't really do anything with GFWL other than get pissed that it and the fucktarded Rockstar Club or w/e extra-online-DRM crap competed for connection and took like 10 minutes for GTA IV to start. UPlay actually offers something new out of all of them: complete achievements, earn points, use points to buy games or physical stuff. Yeah, it might take a lot of games (which I felt they didn't have) to buy stuff, but that's something unique that I appreciate. Impulse is pretty much Steam-lite and they go through Steam for a lot of their games anyway.

I'm not sad to see GFWL go, I'm just sad that it was so poorly executed. The "Games for Windows" initiative was to try and get people to consider the PC as an actual gaming console, like an XBox or Playstation. It was a move that wanted to wave its giant marketing e-peen into the face of Apple, which is something I applaud (I acknowledge Apple is innovative and has user-friendly products, but I absolutely despise its policies). I was really excited when the initiative was announced, but it just fell flat and extra support with GFWL turned out to just be a really sad detriment.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 10:39:59 pm »

I usually had no functional problem using GFWL, once I set it to always log me in offline. However, having to use Steam AND that was really annoying for the 2 games I have that did so (Fable III, Bioshock 2). My main issue is that, like everything MS does, it just doesn't adequately clean up after itself. Fable III had some free promo stuff by the time I got around to it, so I downloaded all 1.2 gb of it, played it, uninstalled. But the 1.2 gb file was ignored during uninstall, so I had to use WinDirStat to find the .part file in folder zxciure-asd-14357 somewhere in the ever-growing bloatpile that is my boot drive.

I'm continually astonished at how proficient MS is about shoveling a 75% passable product out the door with a giant turd on top, and people just keep accepting it without open revolt.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 11:29:39 pm »

Apple doesn't innovate on anything. They are strictly in the buisness of polishing existing, but new products; and they do it quite well.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2013, 12:23:21 am »

Third, it had a slow, unresponsive, overly animated GUI (my personal least favorite thing.)

This was my secondary issue. I cant bear slow menu animations as I am used to clicking through menu's super fast. Plus the menus are unsightly and can be confusing.

My main issue was that it was redundant (yet another account to manage), a waste of my time and had nill benefits. I already have had to log into my Steam account, now I have to log into this as well?

Those two points together really made me feel like I was wasting my time on things artificially made necessary to play the damn game.

Hopefully, at the very least any replacement Microsoft come up with will have a faster, more responsive, and less ugly interface and less buggs. Or better yet, they can take it out the back and shoot it in the head.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 04:19:53 am »

I only have bad memories with GFWL. I had to make 3 or so accounts for RF: Guerilla because it was being retarded.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 11:00:09 am »

The "Games for Windows" initiative was to try and get people to consider the PC as an actual gaming console, like an XBox or Playstation.

While I appreciate that was one of the aims, to me it was sort of like saying your fast food burger chain has the goal of ending world hunger.

What I always say GFWL as was an attempt by MS to create an exclusivity trap, to try and sell and OS and a catalog of games to customers, to be the grand unifying theory between game developers, PC gamers, Xbox Gamers and Windows.

GFWL v.2 came right around the time Battle.net was announced. Steam was well into its primacy, Impulse was still Stardock run and small potatoes, Uplay was primitive at the time and Origins had yet to even arrive. It very much had the feeling to me of "Oh shit, we better get in this now before it's too late!" I recall at least a few games that had release agreements with GFWL that fans hated and rejected as soon as it was announced. People cited GFWL as a reason they weren't buying the game. (Although those people are there for every game and platform.) I think Dawn of War 2 ran afoul of that. It's an interesting case study to see how many multi-title series started with GFWL and dropped it for the sequel. The name itself became toxic from a PR standpoint.

So yeah. Too little too late is how I view much of what GFWL offered. A "Me too!" platform that only survived as long as it did because of the 300 pound gorilla that is MS backing it up.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 01:08:14 pm »

I'm not sorry to see it go, but I'm going to be pretty pissed off if it takes the Dark Souls online with it. I'm not going to be able to sit down and start playing it until next May or so, due to promising to play it with friends who lack gamin' PCs at university.

If it's anything like Demon's Souls was, playing it without online would be like eating a pizza with all the toppings removed. Here's hoping that they find a way to preserve it...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5