- 0 (0%)
zone 3
- 0 (0%)
zone 4
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: August 22, 2013, 10:15:59 am

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39

Author Topic: Old style succession game, Fliermanor Revive. Dream-wings freeze fast.  (Read 51151 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Old style succession game, Fliermanor. (come and watch and take part of!)
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2013, 09:03:43 pm »

Should have known my reign as militia commander would be a short one.  Ah, well, at least I racked up a kill count on my way out, I hope?  If it's not much trouble, I'd also like a slab so we can see what did me in over in the flank of the battlefield

Please redorf me as the next Militia Commander.
I was going to make the farmer become militia commander, but I can name him after you if you want.

Also, PREVIOUS POST UPDATED
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2013, 09:06:58 pm »

"Praise the great lord Armok we have found great amounts of water in the vast deep dark lands. I knew my sacrifice would make Armok happy I just knew it would."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2013, 09:10:44 pm »

"Praise the great lord Armok we have found great amounts of water in the vast deep dark lands. I knew my sacrifice would make Armok happy I just knew it would."
You mean the sacrifice of eight dwarves and countless undead? Oh, and one necromancer?

EDIT:

Anyone know how to use pump stacks? I want to bring this to the surface for a well but I don't know how to use the damn thing :-[
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:15:12 pm by highmax28 »

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 02, 2013, 09:20:13 pm »

13th of Gelena, 127
The farmer and the presser were found dead today. Both died from dehydration. I was ashamed we had no way to save our heroes. I shed a tear as I dug deeper and deeper into the ground. I had to come up with a plan for a well before we all die from dehydration. I can't have everyone die... Not now... I heard that a human caravan has arrived. Perhaps if we give them some goods, maybe we can survive another year.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2013, 09:37:00 pm »

How is Gnora at this point?
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2013, 10:20:43 pm »

A basic Head-over-tail pump-stack is pretty simple from caverns 1 to upper fort, except for one thing: power.  If you have to power it with pump operators, it will be annoyingly slow, and anything else requires either the surface, or engineering that's probably harder than the pump stack, like a water reactor.
I'd dig something like this
Code: [Select]
. = Open space, over water, can have a grate over it
R = Reservoir
%% = pump.  Dark square always faces R
Z=0 (Directly above natural caverns water)
╔══════╗
║.%%RRR║
╚═ ════╝

Z+1
╔══════╗
║RRR%%.║
╚════ ═╝
And so on upwards until the R space is your actual reservoir, rather than just pump piping.  Pumps should be directly atop one another, so the side view will look like this
Z+4:   ║.%%RRRRRRRRR Reservoir for real well
Z+3: ║RRR%%.║
Z+2:   ║.%%RRR║
Z+1: ║RRR%%.║
Z=0:   ║.%%RRR║
Z-1: Caverns Water

If you channel the square under the dark square of each pump (the one next to R) except the bottom one, you can power it in the future without having to deconstruct it and possibly flood the fort.

EDIT: of course, even with pump operators, you don't need a reservoir bigger than 1x1 (except to reduce fps loss to temp calculations for magma), resulting in the classic and easy to understand pump stack profile
Z+4: ║.%%RRRRRRRRR Reservoir for real well
Z+3: ║R%%.║
Z+2: ║.%%R║
Z+1: ║R%%.║
Z=0: ║.%%R║
Z-1: Caverns Water
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:43:59 pm by Tevish Szat »
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2013, 11:01:33 pm »

How is Gnora at this point?
Unhappy I think, but still breathing. And szat, do I have to worry about it flooding? Cause I may bring it to surface and then bring it back down to the dining hall as a mist generator. I was thinking it would pump through and then fall down about two/three z levels (that's the height, right?) and then flow back down to the caverns. I also think that in the process, a water wheel or two could help as its going back down to power up the endless cycle of water. It COULD work, but I don't want to try it here while risking the fortress (we lost enough already).

EDIT:
My idea came because our people are so unhappy right now, that mist would help ALOT. Mostly people are unhappy from miscarriages right now.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 03, 2013, 12:09:49 am »

Just make sure that the R is walled in on all 8 sides, 7 by stone and one by the impassible square of the pump.  The access shaft for pump operators/construction should be connected only to the walkable square, as shown in my first diagram.  Or, with + being floor, like this:
╔════╗
║.%%R║
╚0+0═╝
built as such it's perfectly safe, even with the future power-path channeled.

You need to build the lowest ones first for support if you channel the power-path (under the dark squares)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 03, 2013, 06:14:53 am »

Would this help with the pump stacking? I don't really do that much. How well am i taking the deaths of my people?
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Pumpstack.gif

Sheaim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2013, 07:45:15 am »

How big is that drop?

You'd need to make a channel with water flow, build one water wheel per 9 z-levels, each powering 9 pumps through a system of axles and gears.

Since each water wheel produces 90 net power and each pump needs 10, this just might work.

Bokaza

• Bay Watcher
  • Forts lost: A lot
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2013, 11:21:02 am »

Since each water wheel produces 90 net power and each pump needs 10, this just might work.
Perpetuum Mobile energy generation... braking the laws of physics, Dwarf Fortress style.
Ah, RL. The only true slayer of fortresses.
A vile force of Reality has arrived!

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2013, 03:24:51 pm »

There are no such things as laws of science in dwarf culture.

W0lfBane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:55 pm »

Out of the curiosity what is the current dwarf list?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2013, 06:46:00 pm »

Out of the curiosity what is the current dwarf list?
Ask and you shall receive:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Expect a small update

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:12 pm »

17th of Galena, 127: Another Attack
A craftsdwarf went out to the trade depot to bring some goods to the trade depot when he stumbled upon a koblad theif. He ran towards the depot in fear, and ran into another. And then a third thief came by and the craftsdwarf began to attack the kobald. Before long, he saw that we were indeed taking an ambush from the kobalds. I rallied what forces we could muster and readied them towards the gate. There way no way we could win if we throw our lives away again. This attack needs some strategic thinking and some military smarts. First things first, get the soldiers back behind the traps before they get slaughtered. I decided that I may even join in on this battle if it comes down to it, but it seems unlikely.

18th of Galena, 127: Aftermath II
The battle went so quickly, I have no idea what happened. One soldier informed me that some of the soldiers ran out instead of falling back and got killed due to being unarmed. Then, the human traders came from the north and their guards slaughtered each and every one of the kobalds they could get their hands on. One human trader went down and the merchants fled, leaving us here thirsty and hungry and surrounded by dead kobalds. I tell you, I am not happy with this at all and decided I need to go do some digging to clear my mind.

((god, people really DO hate us))

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39