Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obsidian farming  (Read 2126 times)

xzzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian farming
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>Oh... So for the dynamics of magma remaining molten, does it matter how fat it is channeled?  That is to say, if I channel it all the way across a map, so long as this tube is still attached to the main magma chamber, it will never cool?  I must know this for some future forts...</STRONG>

Magma cooling is controlled by depth, not what it's attached to.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

Nevermind this post...

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

... Either I am completely misunderstanding what you mean, or I was not clear enough in my question.

Example: I have a fort with a magma chamber far on the other side of the map.  I don't want my guys wasting time running all the way down there, and I want to keep my fort centralized over near my farms.  The other reason for the farms being there is that the sand is there.  Thus the magma chamber is on the exact opposite side from the sand, which means if I am to do anything, I would require a lot of hauling.

I heard somewhere that magma will not cool so long as it is in some way connected to the magma chamber.  Then there was the comment above, "If you can shut off its connection to the magma source, it will cool by itself.", which, assuming I am not horribly misinterpreting it, confirms this fact.

Thus my question: Does the distance I channel the magma truly not matter, so long as it remains connected to the main vent. or is across the whole map too far, likely resulting in the magma cooling?

And a new question: So depth controls it: if I do this channeling on the lowest Z-level of my fort, it then will take much longer to cool, but will eventually cool?

And another new question: Bridges currently act as aqueducts are supposed to (if they worked), holding 7 magma and not overflowing into the surroundings (or in this case chasm) since it won't 'flow up'?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

I was repeating information that I had read on the Wiki, which was apparently incorrect.  Magma cools if it is doused with water, or is of a sufficiently low depth for a long enough time.  It has nothing to do with whether or not it is connected to the pipe.

If you dig a channel that has magma pour into it, the magma will not cool so long as it is of a sufficient depth.  If you can get enough magma in there, it will not cool, regardless of whether or not it is still connected to the magma pipe.

By depth, I mean the depth of the magma itself, like water.  Magma has values ranging from 1 to 7, and apparently magma that is a value of 3 or lower will eventually cool.  It has nothing to do with how far above or below your fort it is.

Aqueducts no longer exist, they were used only in the 2D version.  Bridges will spill magma and water off the sides, unless you build walls to keep it in.  A bridge is a flat surface, and flows fill out a flat surface.  Bridges are, in effect, bulk floors.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 12:24:00 am »

Ahh, wonderful!  I thank you!

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>
I heard somewhere that magma will not cool so long as it is in some way connected to the magma chamber.  Then there was the comment above, "If you can shut off its connection to the magma source, it will cool by itself.", which, assuming I am not horribly misinterpreting it, confirms this fact.
</STRONG>

yea, everyone "heard somewhere" and then told others when asked without verifying. thats how rumors work. i removed it from the wiki when i noticed it a while back, but it had unfortunately been there for quite a while, so lots of people had read it and assumed it was true.   :(

Pages: 1 [2]