Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Question (And an Introduction)  (Read 962 times)

rathlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Question (And an Introduction)
« on: August 19, 2013, 11:47:44 pm »

Heya guys,

I'm gonna do a quick introduction first that you can feel free to skip if you don't care, then comes the question:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I noticed a surprising lack of magic considering this is essentially a high fantasy game (which, sidenote, reminds me of AD&D2 meets SimCity). Obviously necromancers invoke some kind of magic, and it seems clear from the one Forgotten Beast I faced that they have some magical attributes as well, but the dwarves are very distinctly un-magical.

Now before I go on, I should say, I have no idea if this is one of those questions for this forum. I know that in every forum for every game there's that question that gets asked every day, so I hope this isn't it. Moving on,

Is there a reason we don't see magical dwarves? I could see the argument that we want to keep the dwarves mundane and "average" in many ways, facing very challenging odds. Is that the reason we don't see a "wizard" or even something like a "spirit healer" labor?

Assuming this isn't one of those questions, I'll include a very brief suggestion that I might improve upon later for the suggestions forum sometime. I'll spoiler it so it can be completely disregarded if needed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for reading, can't wait to get to know you all,

Rathlord

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: A Question (And an Introduction)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 03:59:02 am »

Magic's currently pretty primitive, so really it's more of low fantasy with necromancer and strange mood being the most magical thing in vanilla. Well, there're curses of wereism and vampirism from deities, too. There're some evil regions that brings horrible death and resurrection unto zombies, too.

There're mods that takes advantage of some game capacity to have some magic-like effects.

Forgotten beasts and titans are more like abandoned experiments from how they behaves and their unsavory chemical effect :D

Magical aspect is expected to be developed more in detail in future, at least beyond what's available. It might be a long time off, though.

Oh, as for magical dwarves themselves, necromancers always leaves their civs, so does weredwarves ( I've seen occasional report of migrant ones, though ). Vampire dwarves does comes along with migration, but they're relatively rare.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:02:53 am »

the answer is (if it wasn't clear): The game is under development. Magic may be added sometime in the future. For now, there are mods to help you there.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rathlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:43 pm »

the answer is (if it wasn't clear): The game is under development. Magic may be added sometime in the future. For now, there are mods to help you there.
o

Aye, I entirely understand the Work in Progress aspect of the game. I guess half of what I was asking was whether it had actually been planned (or even mentioned) for the future. It's not really a game breaker for me, but it was just something that stood out as missing in my mind.

@ the first response, I think you're a bit confused about high and low fantasy- the main differences being the setting and the form the story takes (but I do understand what you're saying).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:35:56 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

no magic mentioned, So I have no idea how much is planned. It's probably in a dftalk or future of the fortress discussion somewhere, since it is popular enough to get taken up by a number of mods. If it is being discussed, you'll most likely find it either in DF dwarf mode discussion or DF general discussion.

edit:
Just remembered, threetoes stories are supposed to give an indication to where the world should be heading for some parts of the game, and there is plenty of magic there, including fireballs and such. So I'd consider the future idea to be relatively standard high fantasy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:43:40 pm by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

rathlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:50 pm »

no magic mentioned, So I have no idea how much is planned. It's probably in a dftalk or future of the fortress discussion somewhere, since it is popular enough to get taken up by a number of mods. If it is being discussed, you'll most likely find it either in DF dwarf mode discussion or DF general discussion.

edit:
Just remembered, threetoes stories are supposed to give an indication to where the world should be heading for some parts of the game, and there is plenty of magic there, including fireballs and such. So I'd consider the future idea to be relatively standard high fantasy.

Thanks for the replies Garath you've been really helpful! I'll take a nudge around after I get a few more (thousand) games under my belt and maybe think about picking up some mods =P

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:15:31 am »

edit:

Thanks for the replies Garath you've been really helpful! I'll take a nudge around after I get a few more (thousand) games under my belt and maybe think about picking up some mods =P
Well we can add things to the game such as the ability to throw fireballs, and by using ingame 'interactions' we can rot tissues, transform creatures, cause bleeding, vomiting, attribute buffs/debuffs, numbness paralysis etc... theres loads of potential. Ask for a spell and we can almost completely emulate it

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:29:27 am »

healing spells against FB syndromes? ressurection?

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 09:13:50 am »

Yep and yep :P

rathlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »

Yep and yep :P

That sounds fantastic. The only things I would worry about would be breaking the game balance/difficulty. If I could do fireballs and resurrect dwarves... I think sieges might not be so bad =P Upon further reflection I think I'd almost prefer crafting magical items (such as wands with one-use spells and crossbows firing burning arrows, etc.) over any actual casting or labor/military magic.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:14:43 pm »

Go check out the Masterwork mod. It's full of magic shit that doesn't break the game.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 03:46:03 am »

Go check out the Masterwork mod. It's full of magic shit that doesn't break the game.
This. Right here.

rathlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 11:34:16 am »

I'll go check it out! I was hoping to get a few (dozen) games under my belt before modding, but I'll take a look.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 07:42:18 pm »

Check out Dwarf Chocolate. Masterwork gets a very large amount of its magic stuff from that.