Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A dead child covered in rocks in the dormitory.  (Read 1797 times)

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
A dead child covered in rocks in the dormitory.
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:07 am »

Title says it all, really. What the hell killed it? It was sitting in the middle of the new dormitories under construction, dead. Combat logs says it was killed by rock salt, but it couldn't have been mined above, I had finished that hours before. There's also way more orcks on that one tile than there should be. Not that I really mind that an immigrant orphan died... But why?

Edit: Of note, the cause of death was suffocation, if that helps at all. I assume a crushed lung.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:48:32 am by JoshBrickstien »
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: A dead child covered in rocks in the dormitory.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 12:45:58 am »

Are there bridges anywhere? Were there tantrums? Was that particular tile mined "hours ago"? Was it from above _there_?

EDIT: Dump designation and zone? Are the rocks forbidden?
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 12:47:58 am »

Are there bridges anywhere? Were there tantrums? Was that particular tile mined "hours ago"? Was it from above _there_?

EDIT: Dump designation and zone? Are the rocks forbidden?

No bridges, no tantrums, the dorms are 2 z levels high, the top level had been gone for an hour of play or more, and it's just barely under the soil layer, so no, it's not _there_. Also no dump zones or forbidden rocks.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:07:15 am »

Sounds like a deconstruction accident. Were you deconstructing anything in the area?

Anathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 01:14:19 am »

Armok has shown his displeasure.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 03:22:50 am »

Mysterious pile of rock, was there deconstruction recently? There're a bug in latest version that teleport an area of loose material onto the dwarf when they deconstructs floor or wall, it won't crush dwarves, though.

As for children dead by rock, it's gotta fall onto the child, it can take a while for them to die of suffocation, but from sound of it, they got dropped.

Was there any deconstruction going on? They could've stupidly stand over the tile they're deconstructing and fell from there.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 03:24:27 am »

Check the combat report and then 'zoom to location'. Chances are pretty good that the place you found the corpse isn't the place where the child died: inexplicable massive heaps of items in one place are the telltale sign of "deconstruction teleportation": http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5994

This bug affects _all_ loose items, including e.g. corpses of dwarven children lying in the area. It's not only possible but even likely that the child was killed by a dumped rock, by a cave-in or by a deconstructed-from-below staircase falling in its face somewhere nearby, and later deconstruction dragged the corpse into the location where you found it sitting under a heap of rocks. The actual location of the 'combat' and death might give better hints as to what really happened.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 07:25:04 am »

Title says it all, really. What the hell killed it? It was sitting in the middle of the new dormitories under construction, dead. Combat logs says it was killed by rock salt, but it couldn't have been mined above, I had finished that hours before. There's also way more orcks on that one tile than there should be. Not that I really mind that an immigrant orphan died... But why?

Edit: Of note, the cause of death was suffocation, if that helps at all. I assume a crushed lung.

could there be a minecart misadventure involved? or are you using catapults anywhere? could a cat stone reaching max range and then falling multiple z levels cause injury, even though they aren't normally dangerous to dwarves?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 08:47:46 am »

Check the combat report and then 'zoom to location'. Chances are pretty good that the place you found the corpse isn't the place where the child died: inexplicable massive heaps of items in one place are the telltale sign of "deconstruction teleportation": http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5994

This bug affects _all_ loose items, including e.g. corpses of dwarven children lying in the area. It's not only possible but even likely that the child was killed by a dumped rock, by a cave-in or by a deconstructed-from-below staircase falling in its face somewhere nearby, and later deconstruction dragged the corpse into the location where you found it sitting under a heap of rocks. The actual location of the 'combat' and death might give better hints as to what really happened.

This seems most likely, as there was a bit of wooden scaffolding I'd used nearby that I ordered destroyed. Perhaps the child tried to destroy it and got pelted by flying rocks. Otherwise, there are no bridges, catapults, minecarts, tantrums, wheelbarrows, etc.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:48 pm »

I actually forgot about that bug. I've patched it out of my install...
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Rocktomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 02:34:15 pm »

I think this is probably the only forum on the internet where a person can say "Not that I really mind that an immigrant orphan died" and nobody will bat an eye.
Life, like most voyages, is more about the journey than the destination, wherever it may be.

enolate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »

I think this is probably the only forum on the internet where a person can say "Not that I really mind that an immigrant orphan died" and nobody will bat an eye.
Stormfront

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 04:44:19 pm »

This should be bay12's tagline or something.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 05:26:24 pm »

Sounds just like every friday.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 07:28:08 am »

what i think of is that you had a cave in on a floor above and it cascaded down to where the child was
Pages: [1] 2