Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2774 2775 [2776] 2777 2778 ... 4748

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 IC Thread: Antimagic and gods and souls oh my  (Read 3116837 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 IC Thread: Angels and fighting and plot oh my
« Reply #41625 on: February 12, 2014, 02:29:49 am »

<Not exactly, they only seem to operate in similar manners when I will them to do so. If they were to replace bodyparts, I would have had to have consciously control each one via magic input which is not remotely feasible. In addition to that, a significant amount of power is required to consolidate anything with it, mass production is simply impossible. Finally, there are doubtlessly kinds of magic far more suited to such roles than what I once possessed.>

<Nevertheless, even in a limited role, your powers could help with disaster relief, temporary medical support while more permanent accommodations can be prepared, and other such non-violent forms of good. Can you find a counter-argument against the use of your powers to help rescue wounded civilians, or stabilize a patient while EMTs are working on other parts of his anatomy, beyond simply that there are other powers that can do it better, which is a defeatist and rather unfortunate way to think. Just because you're not the best doesn't mean you can't make a difference. The smallest people can make the biggest difference in the world.>

((Also, yes, Cyrielle is getting in a philosophical debate with a ten year old.

And it is glorious.))
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41626 on: February 12, 2014, 02:37:09 am »

Cyrielle puts on the outfit consisting of a long-sleeved, light blue near-white blouse, black trousers, belt, black socks, black leather shoes and a light peplum jack of a neutral grey coloration. SHe then puts on her bracelet and pockets the dormant forms of her equipment.

((Not really philosophy, it's more ethics.))
<For starters, yes, I haven't been in any such situation. Also, part of my contract prevents me from using my abilities to heal or save people.>
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #41627 on: February 12, 2014, 02:41:08 am »

She giggles, seeming to enjoy herself. <You're fun, Cy! Most of my friends just respond to this sort of thing by pointing out that ethics don't really apply to multidimensional entities beyond the comprehension of man. Which is too bad, I really like this :<>

((EVEN SO. GLORIOUS.))
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41628 on: February 12, 2014, 02:45:52 am »

<Well, humans can't employ that argument so they do end up being forced to make such justifications. Especially when issues such as abortion, euthanasia or saving victims of crimes vs stopping the culprit are involved.>

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #41629 on: February 12, 2014, 02:47:36 am »

<Well, humans can't employ that argument so they do end up being forced to make such justifications. Especially when issues such as abortion, euthanasia or saving victims of crimes vs stopping the culprit are involved.>

<The grey makes everything better~>

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41630 on: February 12, 2014, 02:50:09 am »

<Perhaps it does contribute to the schadenfreude, but it does cause issues for the people caught in such situations.>

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41631 on: February 12, 2014, 02:51:27 am »

"Where shall we go now?"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #41632 on: February 12, 2014, 02:52:43 am »

Richard shrugs.
"Well, I dunno."

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #41633 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:07 am »

<Perhaps it does contribute to the schadenfreude, but it does cause issues for the people caught in such situations.>

<Well, if possible, do both. Assuming you can't do both, then it makes you think, which helps you understand yourself, which is good. So it makes things better.>

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41634 on: February 12, 2014, 03:00:52 am »

<In matters such as abortion and euthanasia, taking both options isn't very feasible seeing as it is essentially binary selection. You presumably cannot deny and maintain life simultaneously. After all, Schrödinger's Cat may seem to be in a superposition from the experimenter's point of view, but the cat observes the effects of the mechanism does it not? Surely from its perspective they themselves are not in superposition as they observe whether the gas is released or not, hence forcing a state.>

"I'll need to arrange transport back to California, until then, I suppose I shall stay in a hotel. Any recommendations?"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41635 on: February 12, 2014, 03:03:35 am »

"Why don't you ask Abraxas or something? He can teleport, since he uses the void, right?"

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #41636 on: February 12, 2014, 03:04:04 am »

<In matters such as abortion and euthanasia, taking both options isn't very feasible seeing as it is essentially binary selection. You presumably cannot deny and maintain life simultaneously. After all, Schrödinger's Cat may seem to be in a superposition from the experimenter's point of view, but the cat observes the effects of the mechanism does it not? Surely from its perspective they themselves are not in superposition as they observe whether the gas is released or not, hence forcing a state.>

<And there's nothing wrong with that. Like I said, it's preferable to find a way that makes the choices presented meld in their most favorable forms, but in situations like that where it is a binary and mutually exclusive choice, isn't the act of making that choice just as important as the choice itself, since it catalyzes your own emotions and perspectives, helping you understand your own motivations and enhancing your perception of yourself?>

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41637 on: February 12, 2014, 03:14:01 am »

[To: Richard] <I could also teleport via bracelet, but seeing as I am now in Britain, suddenly appearing in California without any transport would be rather suspicious. Though I suppose that is a moot point when I have suddenly appeared in Britain...>

<Perhaps, but that choice is not a matter that is very pleasant. Furthermore, regret and self doubt tend to linger in such matters as do the consequences. It is often most preferable to not be in a position to influence the matter at all.>

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #41638 on: February 12, 2014, 03:16:14 am »

<Perhaps, but that choice is not a matter that is very pleasant. Furthermore, regret and self doubt tend to linger in such matters as do the consequences. It is often most preferable to not be in a position to influence the matter at all.>

<Perhaps, but both situations presented are ones that, if circumstance causes you to have to amke them, must be made, one way or the other.

I find the idea of such questions very interesting.

Can we spend time together in the future, Miss Cy?>

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41639 on: February 12, 2014, 03:16:36 am »

"Just teleport home. You gave Annie and Wheatley bracelets, right?"
Pages: 1 ... 2774 2775 [2776] 2777 2778 ... 4748