Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 973 974 [975] 976 977 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1009993 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14610 on: May 31, 2014, 05:01:14 pm »

I think I'll stay with the direction we have right now, rather than going right in the opposite. A shorter list of stats makes things even more minmaxy, and more importantly, makes the characters less differentiated. if we only had 3 stats, dex, physical and magical, we would basicaly only have 3 characters, stat-wise. having 8 stats gives more diversity, and gives each PC and each villain their own fields they excell in and they suck in, in many combinations

also I agree with emp, mind as a stat is more of a plot-solving button, and serves little purpose. resistance it is

also I will point out that the Poll started yesterday, while the idea of the system I proposed started today, Between the old system and gurps, of course everybody would want the old system. nobody voted other because at that point, we had no other
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14611 on: May 31, 2014, 05:01:49 pm »

I dunno, there's just too many stats; Health and Mana could be decided by MAG and END, just change the equations.

We fucking went over this before. More END makes you more tankier, so if it increases your health as well it makes giant blobs of health like Luthar/Neferis. And if MAG gives you more mana, then you can fling around more spells that are more powerful. Part of the problem with the old system is that stats did double/triple duty, which meant that some stats were obviously much more OP than other stats. Splitting all of the effects/attributes into their own stats makes things more balanced without adding significantly more complexity. And if you think that adding more stats makes the game much more complex then I swear to god I'll show everyone how goddamn simple this system is.

Sorry for the language. We've been over this multiple times and it's starting to get to me now.
B-but USEC-senpai....*cries*

Didn't intend to piss you off there, it's just that the long info dump posts kinda went straight through me. Thanks for the TL;DR explanation.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14612 on: May 31, 2014, 05:03:06 pm »

B-but USEC-senpai....*cries*

Didn't intend to piss you off there, it's just that the long info dump posts kinda went straight through me. Thanks for the TL;DR explanation.

It's fine. I'm just getting way too worked up about this entire thing, sorry.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14613 on: May 31, 2014, 05:04:13 pm »

I think we'll need an OOC Summary Document along with an IC Summary Document at this rate.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14614 on: May 31, 2014, 05:09:35 pm »

I will write up a complete summary once the remaining points have been adressed, mainly the problem that as it stands with str vs def going up straight, physical damage is too low, or even nil. Unlike magic, you can't just dump more mana into a spell to get damage.

my suggestion is that the quality of armaments, whatever they may be, grants a bonus to the damage roll, so that damage will almost always, unless the rolls are very unlucky or someone has very high defence, the damage will out-do the damage absorption. unless there are different ideas, or suggestions regarding what levels of quality there are and how much damage they deal, I will think about that and put it out in the full post tomorrow
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14615 on: May 31, 2014, 05:12:37 pm »

So... what's the problem with people putting more energy into their punches to hit harder? Because that's basically what putting mana into a physical attack is. I don't disagree with equipment giving stats but I just think that's a bit silly.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14616 on: May 31, 2014, 05:13:10 pm »

((also gwg, just look around a bit, I made two longer posts, they are easy to spot. it's not gurps))
First off, saying "it's not gurps" to explain why it's better than a GURPS-based system is a painfully obvious example of circular logic and I hate that you stooped to that.
Second off, yes you wrote two long posts. My post was requesting a summary of the long posts made by you and others plus the changes others suggested that were agreed on.

I also just checked whether I could vote multiple times, turns out, I cannot. So unless @KJ got other people to vote or circumvented it, which I doubt simply due to it seeming unlikely he would go through all that effort just to tamper with a poll, I would presume he didn't. Perhaps people voted for the old system at first but then changed their minds?
It checks IP addresses.

also I will point out that the Poll started yesterday, while the idea of the system I proposed started today, Between the old system and gurps, of course everybody would want the old system. nobody voted other because at that point, we had no other
I'd also like to point out that you're the only one who's been showing any venom for GURPS. Remember all you were saying about kj objecting to any changes at all?
Also, that there were other options, so your argument is invalid.

I will write up a complete summary once the remaining points have been adressed, mainly the problem that as it stands with str vs def going up straight, physical damage is too low, or even nil. Unlike magic, you can't just dump more mana into a spell to get damage.

my suggestion is that the quality of armaments, whatever they may be, grants a bonus to the damage roll, so that damage will almost always, unless the rolls are very unlucky or someone has very high defence, the damage will out-do the damage absorption. unless there are different ideas, or suggestions regarding what levels of quality there are and how much damage they deal, I will think about that and put it out in the full post tomorrow
If we're going with that system, then that sounds good.

So... what's the problem with people putting more energy into their punches to hit harder? Because that's basically what putting mana into a physical attack is. I don't disagree with equipment giving stats but I just think that's a bit silly.
Mana =/= Physical energy, usually.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14617 on: May 31, 2014, 05:14:46 pm »

Here's a crazy idea! Well, not too crazy in terms of mechanics, but crazy in terms of accounting.
Give everything a pool! You distribute how much of your pool you want to use for each attack/aim/block/dodge.

Isn't Kyle's powered armor a piece of equipment giving stats? One advantage of this would also be that using a proper weapon like a metaclaymore (claymore sword made out of claymore mines :P) would actually be mechanically superior to bare fists.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14618 on: May 31, 2014, 05:16:32 pm »

But mana is energy. What's stopping it from being physical if it can affect the world around people in somewhat different circumstances. It would also allow interesting theories. Like, maybe when people are under the influence of things they expend their natural mana which would explain why people in an altered state can achieve greater achievements than others.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14619 on: May 31, 2014, 05:17:09 pm »

because in that case, why differentiate between physical and magical at all, if they handle exactly the same? Some diversity is needed.

now one might argue "but magic can do more than just deal damage", then why ever go physical? If physical and magical stuff she the same resource to be effective, but magic also has utlity at the side, physical stuff does have no merit, if it needs mana to get shit done that magic can get done better for the same amount

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14620 on: May 31, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »

Then how about removing STR entirely? Just use some scaled down version of 1/2 x END x SPD2.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14621 on: May 31, 2014, 05:19:24 pm »

You can't make power armor with magic. If you do I'll sue on account of copyright infringement.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14622 on: May 31, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »

Then how about removing STR entirely? Just use some scaled down version of 1/2 x END x SPD2.

Because then we start to shift back into 'One stat to rule them all' territory. Which is what we're trying to fix here.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14623 on: May 31, 2014, 05:21:40 pm »

You can't make power armor with magic.
Selina->Draw Power Armor->Take out Power Armor
Izzy->Make Armor->Turn Armor into Golem->Enchant Golem->Wear Golem
HILDA->Get Armor->Techromancy the Armor->Get Powered Armor

PrivateNomad