Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1010125 times)

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE
« Reply #14415 on: May 30, 2014, 10:52:20 am »

It's a lockdown strategy.

Belephegor is attempting to grapple Neferis.

Ashmouth is keeping Tobias occupied.

Naberias is stunning people.

Neberius is afflicting people with miasma taint (which does 5 damage initial with +5 additional damage each turn it is not cured. standard healing does not work)

Neferes A and B keep intercepting people.

Nobillise is protecting Luthar using a barrier.

Luthar is preparing to use summon his last demon. which is why he needed his health at full.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #14416 on: May 30, 2014, 11:30:44 am »

well, this turn Ashley should be inbound with a ton of anti-demon weapons. Luthar would be much more of a threat if he actually just punched us
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14417 on: May 30, 2014, 11:54:35 am »

Luthar has a STR of 10. Still not a threat :P

Also, part is installed and it seems to be working just fine. It's so nice to have an actual keyboard again~
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14418 on: May 30, 2014, 11:59:02 am »

so, is there any ideas regarding the points I listed? If not, let's start with a)

I take it, so far "osmodias succeeded, everyone is mindcontroled. Him showing us the battle again and again is a form of torture because he is bored. Gods are intervening to take care of him, once we defeat him in the fake world, we shall wake up." is the most popular?

who is against that? why?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14419 on: May 30, 2014, 12:35:34 pm »

anyway, before we can reboot, there are a few things to settle.

a) Which reboot plot is the acceptable one? How does that setting look like?
b) Since I am interested in Projecks plot, we need a way for Ashleys problem to fit into it
c) Balancing of system
d) Balancing of stats
e) Balancing of abilities, if possible fit into the magic system
f) Balancing of resources, but that hits into a)
g) Who GMs the v3. Do we stick with Elf?
a. I dunno. Most any would do if done right but not if done poorly. I'm helpful!
b. I suppose so.
c. Defining abilities better is a good start. Locating the abusable ones and nerfing them (say, the aforesuggested nerf on Selina's ability that she can't make enchanted items) is another.
d. Refiddling the combat system is a must.
e. See c. That's the big thing, really.
g. Not unless he's willing to GM. Cado would work, if he's willing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14420 on: May 30, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »

suggestions for the fiddling?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14421 on: May 30, 2014, 12:46:31 pm »

suggestions for the fiddling?
Hell if I know. We might want to just torch the whole game system to the ground. I'd suggest GURPS, that being something that's very much versatile while stil being reasonably balanced, but it's also kinda complex.

P.S. Some more thoughts.

Alright sounds like a bad case of dragon ball z syndrome. Somewhat inevitable in high power, long running games but here's what I'd do to reign it in.

1. If them using their powers to easily bypass mundane non-combat challenges is a problem, then take the powers away. There are a variety of ways to do that, the simplest of which is just saying "Nah bro, thats unbalanced, knock that shit off."  Alternatively give them some reason not to want to use their powers. It's magical girl shit right? Big aspect of those shows is the fact that they often have to maintain an ordinary social or school/family life while keeping their powers a secret. So make it that, in order to use their powers, they have to be very obviously transformed or that their use is extremely obvious in some other way. Make being seen using powers VERY bad for them, either in character or for the player by having their spirit effect their magic power, so becoming depressed from being socially ostracized as a magic weirdo would ruin their capacity to fight. Alternatively alternatively, make it so that they can only transform/use their powers when allowed to by an outside force. The generic "Cute animal sidekick that gave them the powers" sorta thing you see in all of those shows. Maybe he has to be around for them to do it. Because then you basically have a choke chain to pull if they're getting out of hand.  Alternatively alternatively alternatively, create situations where their powers wouldn't help. A situation where they can't magic their way out.

2.Now, the powers. These are the steps I would take. First, Scale back and narrow focus. I saw someone in that list that could turn drawings into living 3d things. That power right there? TREMENDOUSLY OP in the right hands. You don't even have to think about it very hard. So the first thing ya do is you force limits onto how it can be used. For instance, maybe force it so that the character as what amounts to a magic pen and drawing pad. The drawings only come to life when those specific items are used. And make drawing take a reasonable amount of time. Should take them at least a couple minutes to draw something, It shouldn't just be "I draw a tiger and use it to attack!" that shit should take a while. Force them to plan ahead and then do things they don't plan for. Give them Hard, Specific limits to how their powers work. The more broad and potentially op the power, the more limiting factors you need to attach to it.

Second, set up a preplanned power scale by which you can judge their magic actions and take away mana based on it. In Apotheosis I have a "force" chart which sets out the different level of power. Of course my system actually runs in reverse. You simply pay mana into an action and the mana is then rolled to see how much it effects the action. Ie, mana usage determines action force, rather then action force determining mana  use. But the principle is the same. You set up a table with levels of energy which should be expended depending on the "difficulty" of the action and then use that table to determine mana usage. If I were you I'd set it up via the degree to which it effects the world/the amount of force it produces/ matter it creates. Ie, a power that creates one, normal metal sword is fairly low energy use. But creating 20 adamantium swords should be herculean levels of effort.

Do these suggestions make sense to you?
Back on subject, making reckless use of super powers affect other players is a good balance lesson to take from ER.  Making things take time is another good one- see my character's ability in Special People.  Sure, I could summon a huge cannon that could shoot the head off a giant robot.  But it took three turns to summon and was still immobile and fragile, and ammo was a separate summon prone to failure.  Which is another balancer- if something is really strong, make it less reliable.  "Okay you can shoot a gout of flame from your hand reliably, but you can also summon a dragon to belch a massive fireball... but he doesn't listen every time."  Or make things once per encounter/day/ever powers.
EDIT: Oh, and on the balancing thing, I have no idea about how that system in RotMG works. But if this is a system that uses rolls to determine stuff, then you simply have to balance two factors: versatility (how many figurative doors are opened by their ability) and what kind of bonuses to rolls those abilities provide. The bonuses are graded based on how likely they are to be useful. So if this is one of those systems where dexterity is rolled for initiative, accuracy and dodging for example, then you should obviously penalise dexterity bonuses more than other kinds of bonuses.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14422 on: May 30, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »

well, making the setting a place where openly using your powers was a dangerous thing was one of my first suggestions, people were not happy.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14423 on: May 30, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »

My plot can easily be the cause for a reason to reboot. And add a more interesting world that the characters live in.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14424 on: May 30, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »

How so?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14425 on: May 30, 2014, 12:52:27 pm »

Of course, why would most people want to play a game like that? Unless they liked X-Men.

See also GWG's Thawed. The whole 'magic fucking up a whole lot' thing pissed me off, and some of the other players to.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14426 on: May 30, 2014, 12:58:45 pm »

How so?
It involves possible world domination by simple void beings. Depending on if this is how you guys want to kick off the reboot, they will fail or succeed. Also depending on that, we'll have a new main villain in the reboot. And if the invasion succeeds for the sake of the reboot, then Earth will be occupied by said void beings which could be an interesting environment to kick off the reboot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #14427 on: May 30, 2014, 01:01:18 pm »

Why do weird monstrosities always want earth? Why can't they attack Layar and we can have a nice vacation and gloat at them?

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14428 on: May 30, 2014, 01:03:40 pm »

There's good reason that these ones want Earth.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14429 on: May 30, 2014, 01:05:31 pm »

It's because Earth is so much of a challenge~
Pages: 1 ... 960 961 [962] 963 964 ... 1030