Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1011533 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #4830 on: January 27, 2014, 11:22:14 pm »

Also who is Bethany and why is her eventual meeting with Lyle a cause for sarcastic joy?
Black lives matter.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: January 27, 2014, 11:28:41 pm »

Some kind of stuff presumably happens with Bismuth and Kyle and Neferis.

It's definitely a thing. And possibly leads to Kyle being confused. Not that he isn't often confused, but y'know.
"Three games of Monopoly" stuff, or "We'll be welcoming two new characters into the cast in nine months" stuff?

((Actually EVERYONE seems to be. Hence why, if I get around to it, I will do all the rolls used in my plot, for every character.))
I've fudged rolls once or twice, but only when low rolls would lead to really stupid/annoying results.
Hell if I can remember when, exactly.

((how the actual fuck did months to by with nobody questioning lyle's comatose state*
Because he was left in Twilight Academy?
I actually do remember that a RotMG!Lyle existed, I'm just trollin' SB a bit.
no, ignoring the thread and then only becoming interested because you saw the name tobias does not count
What's so interesting about Tobias?

Also who is Bethany and why is her eventual meeting with Lyle a cause for sarcastic joy?
mcclay's very un-Angerusy character.
I dunno.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: January 27, 2014, 11:29:33 pm »

Tobias happens to be the name of a character in a mutual book series that we like.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:34 pm »

The first two books are beautiful but the third is a piece of shit and I do not recommend reading it.

why Veronica
Black lives matter.

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: January 27, 2014, 11:32:12 pm »

I actually haven't read the third... I'm gonna read it anyways.
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: January 27, 2014, 11:33:35 pm »

I'm mostly joking about the third book except for the enDING GOD DAMMIT
Black lives matter.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: January 27, 2014, 11:41:09 pm »

For a second I thought you were talking about the in universe TA. Also I know a series like that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: January 27, 2014, 11:42:34 pm »

The first two books are beautiful but the third is a piece of shit and I do not recommend reading it.

why Veronica
And there goes my only guess as to which series.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: January 27, 2014, 11:44:03 pm »

It's Divergent.
Black lives matter.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: January 28, 2014, 04:22:06 am »

speaking of equal opportunity NPCs, what's the actual extend of power shism has access to in his sealed form?

why is he sealed anyway?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: January 28, 2014, 08:24:16 am »

speaking of equal opportunity NPCs, what's the actual extend of power shism has access to in his sealed form?

why is he sealed anyway?
1. Shys'm Caes is a woman.
2. Relatively low. She has cosmicky magic, which mostly means that she attacks with big bang bombs and teleports with wormholes and stuff. For more details, see her character sheet.
3. Not her choice. Somehow, the omnipotent being was sealed by Yuri's ancestors. She is not expected to live this down in the forseeable future.

((If a roll would kill a character, we're probably doing it wrong. Characters aren't supposed to die by chance. So I wholly condone lying to save your character's life, yo. :P))
((Isn't the whole point of dice-based as opposed to dice-free games is that there is always a chance and that it is a matter of minimizing that risk?))
Barring extreme stupidity (Keith, don't charge the necrons again), there shouldn't be any "Roll or Die!" scenarios.

>To be fair, what I can do, you guys have it covered; lightning bolts, shadow blasting, all of it. If anything happens up here in England, I'll have it covered.<
Heh heh heh.
*adjusts plot notes*

((on a different topic, "characters are not supposed to die"?. haha, I very much condone equal opportunity NPCs. If PCs can kill NPCs, it also works vice versa))
Depends on the PCs, depends on the NPCs, depends on the game.
A realistic, "gritty" game focused on combat where the PCs are on the same power level as their opponents? Oh, definitely.
A fantastic, more lighthearted game focused on roleplaying where the PCs tend to be more powerful than their foes (at least the ones they face in combat)? Not so much, and they should definitely get at least a second chance at...not dying. And then a way to bring them back.
Sig

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: January 28, 2014, 08:55:54 am »

"Three games of Monopoly" stuff, or "We'll be welcoming two new characters into the cast in nine months" stuff?

Don't worry, blunt force trauma put an end to things pretty quickly.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: January 28, 2014, 09:12:20 am »

I am all for second chances, but not without cost. Without any actual threat or chance of losing, challenges become arbitrary. There is no sense of accomplishment if from the very start there was no way to not win.

So if a character would die in combat, there should at least be a proper price paid to charon to bring you back over the river styx.

That can be shorthanded by a bit of a stat penalty, loss of magic item or whatever, but I find that a bit of a wasted chance. The characters invading the underworld to bring back a fallen friend has plot potential in itself, and is sufficently epic.

I don't do roll-or-die, but I certainly do roll-or-consequence. In a game like this, death is not the final frontier, but failing should always be possible.

That's what irked me so much about the sphinx riddle. It doesn't matter wether or not it's a good or bad riddle, what matters is that the player answered "the bay-12 forum", and argueably, that's a stretch. The sphinx, which is supposed to be a guardian placed by the gods, whom was constantly licking her lips and clearly had interest in eating a PC or two just kinda rolled over and gave the players a big amount of leeway. There was never a pressure to find the right answer, just something that sorta fit was good enough. Ra was even more of a pushover, swayed from his point of view so easily. I guess Elf didn't want to kill his own GMPC, but again, there was never a chance of failure, it's simply lacking any suspense when the outcome is already clear.

Note how the best part of Madoka was when what appeared to be a lighthearted story suddenly turned super grimdark. Characters need challenge and consequences for not being able to overcome them. It makes eventual victory all the sweeter, because you will have earned it, against the odds.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:21:11 am by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: January 28, 2014, 09:29:51 am »

I am all for second chances, but not without cost. Without any actual threat or chance of losing, challenges become arbitrary. There is no sense of accomplishment if from the very start there was no way to not win.
Look to two of my points:
1. We tend to fight enemies we are superior to. We'd have to be trying not to win!
2. Again, this game is rather...non-combat-focused. We focus on "challenges" of non-combat varieties, usually.

That's what irked me so much about the sphinx riddle. It doesn't matter wether or not it's a good or bad riddle, what matters is that the player answered "the bay-12 forum", and argueably, that's a stretch.
1. It's part of the Internet.
2. That answer was given by Cyrielle, who was not even there.
3. Camille hit the nail on the head.

Ra was even more of a pushover, swayed from his point of view so easily.
Yeah, that was a disappointment.
Sig

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: January 28, 2014, 09:36:08 am »

isn't this a magical girl game? when was the last time a magical girl just sat down with the villain and just talked him out of that world domination nonsense :P

but I fancy my villains and their mooks varied. some might easily be swayed, others only when they are likely to lose, while others are convinced of what they are doing and will not bother with much discussion

that being said, thinking and acting on proper information will be advisable to brute force. Mid and late game, combat will certainly be on equal terms or even at a disadvantage
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:38:20 am by Akroma »
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1030