Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best ship?

AngelxAlistair (Toy ship ahoy!)
- 2 (8.7%)
RichardxCyrielle (Yes, she's a side character. No, that does not make this any less cute.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelinaxYurixNuriel (HAREM)
- 5 (21.7%)
RichardxCamille (The only couple who knew each other for longer than two months. Woo~)
- 1 (4.3%)
AshleyxConnyxNurielxBismuth (OPPOSING HAREM)
- 1 (4.3%)
LylexEveryone (An Uke and five Semes. Go figure.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AlistairxCatherine (Minako, eat your heart out.)
- 0 (0%)
MariaxSelina (The original, accept no substitutes.)
- 1 (4.3%)
LyleXRichard (Too much yuri, not enough yaoi.)
- 1 (4.3%)
IzzyxLucas (Because a normal tsundere is not enough.)
- 1 (4.3%)
WillxStella (*insert witty tagline here*)
- 2 (8.7%)
MariexEveryone (Marie, duh.)
- 2 (8.7%)
AshleyXRichard (Screw retcons, I want my OTP now!)
- 1 (4.3%)
MariaxMattxSelina (The original OT3. And who was Matt again?)
- 2 (8.7%)
Richard/CyriellexFourth Wall (Who didn't see this coming?)
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1030

Author Topic: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: MOAR LAMPSHADES PLEASE  (Read 1013239 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Magic Girls v2 OOC: Oh mah gawd, the angst!
« Reply #6030 on: February 06, 2014, 01:26:39 pm »

those are just kinda foreshadowing stuff.

now this is happening right now, and it has almost all characters involved. the impact will be so much more greater
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: February 06, 2014, 01:28:32 pm »

Yeah, but ironically it would end up empowering two of my characters if reality manipulation isn't affected by countermeasures.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: February 06, 2014, 01:28:37 pm »

Really, having it uninhabitable but intact still achieves the effect while giving people reason to even go to Australia; we have about five places;

California
Cambridge
London
Northsdale
France

Also, we HAVE been defeated before. Once by Amy Hart, another time by Ra via technicality; he got away with Anima. And we still had casualties in the teleporter incident.

Actually, to end this discussion, I'm vetoing the house being destroyed by Dumah, at this battle; she can try some other time, but not right now. I am permitting damage, but not destruction, that is it. Topic is not up for discussion; that is my final decision, regardless of any polls or complaints. Dumah's attack doesn't destroy it.

NOW I will take my long needed break.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: February 06, 2014, 01:30:30 pm »

The magical shield is required as it ensure that we have to actually CARE about a plot for it to occur. That is, the plot will be unable to barge in and force participation.

75% sure this is a thing only you care about. I am pretty sure you are literally the only person in this RP who has ever simply said, "I don't care about this plot, leave me alone."
I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of Kyle being forced to participate in a fight for a plot and stick around after one against his will.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: February 06, 2014, 01:31:11 pm »

Ra was a pushover plot, the outcome had no impact on anyone
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: February 06, 2014, 01:31:31 pm »

...I think this is the closest I've ever seen a game get to the GM going "rocks fall everyone dies" against enemy NPCs :P

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: February 06, 2014, 01:35:17 pm »

... wait Akroma is not mad at me.

This is new.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: February 06, 2014, 01:40:47 pm »

note, what is wrong when occasionaly a fight is forced unto us?

a) fights don't need conscent

b) we have had enough of an impact on the supernatural world to have gained the attention of stuff that you normaly don't even know was ignoring you. Once the supernatural world starts to think of us as something you have to consider, we might be involved in stuff we never dreamed off. It's a positive sign, we are moving up

c) we can teleport anywhere at any time if we are not interested in a plot

--------

Rag, I am mad at you. You made a havily unbalanced ruleset and threw it unto us without any testing, nor do you seem willing to balance it, you ignored everything I did so far in this battle, and gave your guys free actions to be extra resistant to what we are doing, while giving us all a massive fuck-you, you all fail without even a resist roll.

you mad almost all mistakes you could have made.

BUT. I am a GMing veteran, and I am sure I made mistakes like that when I got started too, so I will stop moaning and a) give actual advice and b) try to see things positive, the plot is still salvagable. As I said, what *should* have happened is bygone, but I must urge you to *very* seriously consider what *should* happen from now on.

Learn from your mistakes. When so many players are against what you are doing as a GM, it's usualy not because they are all stupid. You wanted to make a difficult fight, and just kinda went a bit too far. Well, and you got lots of...lets call it feedback. try to filter the important part out of the rage, you may improve as a GM in the future
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:43:35 pm by Akroma »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: February 06, 2014, 01:44:39 pm »

note, what is wrong when occasionaly a fight is forced unto us?

a) fights don't need conscent

b) we have had enough of an impact on the supernatural world to have gained the attention of stuff that you normaly don't even know was ignoring you. Once the supernatural world starts to think of us as something you have to consider, we might be involved in stuff we never dreamed off. It's a positive sign, we are moving up
A) Yeah but if a player is busy due to events in their real life, the fight's going to take VERY long time.
B) Not all of them. Meme wouldn't have due to not using much magic, or Ashley who wasn't in the war, or Richard who kept his identity hidden, or Cyrielle who actively avoids all association with magic, or Keith who only recently awakened his powers, or Will who is new to this universe, etc.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: February 06, 2014, 01:46:50 pm »

the group as a whole made enough impact on the world, the new arrivals only make it worse. the group is growing rapidly, only further making some powers in the world focus on them

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: February 06, 2014, 01:47:15 pm »

Thanks man. I haven't GMed much.

I'm a writer mostly, so I don't have much experience with this sort of thing.

As for playtesting... this was kinda that.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: February 06, 2014, 01:49:29 pm »

Hey it could've been worse at least :P The first time I GM'd, I created an entire setting and whatnot but along the way I forgot that I needed an actual plot rather than just the setting :P

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: February 06, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »

yeah, writters are problematic, because they often like their own characters too much.

sure, boss characters deserve to be cool, cooler than the PCs even, but not so cool that the PCs can only stand and watch and have no chance to do any cool stuff themselves.

a general advice, I avoid stuff like that with numbers.

if all you have going is a single super bad dude, you need to enormously boost that thing up so it can deal with 10+ PCs at once.

instead, make that one dude weaker, but give him a good handful of non-grunt henchmen, each of them strong enough to make a difference. varied abilities and combat styles on the grunts, different resistances, different weaknesses, so the players spend a bit of time on figuring out which enemies they can take on well, and which resist their stuff. when there is 6-7 enemies, it doesn't matter if one of them is entirely immune to one of the players abilities. A nasty suprise, but that doesnt render the char useless.

That way, the super big bad also doesn't need a metric ton of various actions, it's all neatly split up, giving the PCs enough opposition to threathen them without seeming overpowered.

once the fight gets really difficult, give the enemies a bit of knowledge about what to expect. nothing stops them from coordinating themselves, so 6-7 small actions suddenly turn into a combination of fuck-you that suddenly knocks the most dangerous PC out of commission, and in the end, encourages the PCs to do the same. Right now, everyone is just blasting stuff at their own leasure, a team only in name. Once they start synergizing, actual play begins.

right now, all the RP is just outside of combat, with character dynamics all over. Once combat starts, everyone is on their own. Why not have the various shipping pairs work out dual-tactics, combine their attacks, focus their efforts, protect eachothers back. suddenly a fight that is mostly number crunch can actually become a scene with character interaction

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
  • what is love, baby don't hurt me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: February 06, 2014, 02:06:34 pm »

yeah, writters are problematic, because they often like their own characters too much.
*cough*George R.R. Martin*cough*
I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: February 06, 2014, 02:07:39 pm »

I am more refering to fanfic writers. it's in the name, they are writing about stuff they are fans off.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1030