Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: aquifier strategy  (Read 599 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
aquifier strategy
« on: August 18, 2013, 12:09:59 pm »

I decided to start a fortress on aquifier just to ... well ... try it

my first plan was to evacuate water at such a rate I could dig past it ... 3 pumps wide on 4 levels powered by 5 wide water wheels ... all made of wood ... plan was to trade for stone (since I have none) to make the mechanisms for gears then to let it bleed off map edge at surface .... can't do it underground because I don't have a layer of stone to make fortifications in

couldn't bring THAT test to fruition because the caravan didn't bring anything but blocks ... asked for stone for next time, but there are so many trees the wagons can't access depot ... maybe that'll bear fruit later ....

meanwhile trying to stripmine down to aquifier to allow it to freeze so I can mine thru the ice ...

any other hints for me without actually telling me how?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: aquifier strategy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:36:49 pm »

while an aquifer produces water, it also absorbs water. You don't need to drain it off the map, but can drain it back into the aquifer some distance away. The most used method for this is the double slit method
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:42:07 pm »

while an aquifer produces water, it also absorbs water. You don't need to drain it off the map, but can drain it back into the aquifer some distance away. The most used method for this is the double slit method

thanks ... I'll work with that info for a bit .... kudos on the appropriate strength of hint :)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:21:07 pm »

Pumps can direct power to all sides and above/below, though making it drive power from top down is a bit tricky. Windmill right on top of the 'wall' part of the pump can run it if there're enough wind. No need for gears, but they're certainly simpler and more compact :D

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 02:03:56 pm »

The most used method for this is the double slit method
If you don't want to copy that method of aquifer piercing keystroke-for-keystroke, consider trying to pierce a slightly different hole shape than the standard 2x4.

If you want to go with powered pumps, you can definitely do a multi-level aquifer piercing using pumps to transmit power instead of gears, but it will probably end up looking fairly goofy.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 03:14:03 pm »

If you are lucky enough to have a few levels above the aquifer (easy enough in a non-flat embark) than you can try using the plug (save-in) method. I prefer it whenever possible.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 09:51:39 pm »

Pumps also don't need mechanisms. A dwarf is fine too. ;)
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:36:48 am »

yeah I was perfectly flat with not a single stone ... I can evacuate a 'slit' well enough to dig the next layer but the pump up on top doesn't do much for z-2 .... I don't suppose a piece of pipe on the intake would help ... I haven't figured out how to build the pumps on the next level down ...

using my strip mining idea made better progress ... (if you count losing all my miners in a slushy hole, conscripting all the fishery dwarfs into mining ... and losing a couple of them) ... I discovered that to keep the ice ramp, there has to be a rim of ice tiles on that layer ... so I would have to go with a larger hole to get thru 2 layers of water then build an enclosed stairwell (wooden of course) on the bedrock ... all before it melts .... I usually cannot get dwarfs to work that efficiently

had to abandon that one because of haunting/unhappy spiral ... no stone = no coffins or slabs ... or statues or engravings hehe .... the first guy freaked before I knew it and killed 2 before I lynched him

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:49:30 am »

yeah I was perfectly flat with not a single stone ... I can evacuate a 'slit' well enough to dig the next layer but the pump up on top doesn't do much for z-2 .... I don't suppose a piece of pipe on the intake would help ... I haven't figured out how to build the pumps on the next level down ...

Remember that mention of aquifier being able to take infinite amount of water in? Even one tile standing alone can do it. Some methods of aquifier breaching involves leaving that one tile untouched until surrounded, and then, picking it out and onto the next level.

Coffins can be made from wood, though! It's called casket.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 10:47:06 am »

Remember that mention of aquifier being able to take infinite amount of water in? Even one tile standing alone can do it. Some methods of aquifier breaching involves leaving that one tile untouched until surrounded, and then, picking it out and onto the next level.

I'm going to have to load up the game and stare at it to puzzle that one out

Coffins can be made from wood, though! It's called casket.

bah ... thanks