Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My minecart won't move and I can't figure why.  (Read 932 times)

bigos

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Use by:
    • View Profile
My minecart won't move and I can't figure why.
« on: August 18, 2013, 06:17:25 am »

Hi.
I am trying to construct simple minecart hauling connection from my farms to the dining hall. I've got the tracks carved up (I made sure all of them are two-way, including slopes. All the tiles say: <material> track (EW), and the slopes say it's upward or downward). There is one corner along the way, all of it on a single z-level. I'm pretty sure I built it right. There is 1 route with 2 stops, both placed on a tracks.
The first stop links to stockpiles of prepared food and booze. Its depart condition is to depart immediately when the cart is 50% of desired items. The desired items are set to be drinks (plant), and prepapred food (with an "e" on the food pile settings).
The second stop is placed on a track stop, which I need to automatically dump hauled food. It is set to guide back immediately.
There are no exclamation marks next to the stops in the hauling menu. The dwarves are loading the cart. It currently says 56% and a green "V". But no one is guiding the cart nor such job appear on the job manager. I'm clearly doing something wrong. What could be the reason of this?
"What do you think about modern civilization"
"That would be a great idea!"
--- interview with Mahatma Gandhi, during his first visit to London.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: My minecart won't move and I can't figure why.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:07:13 pm »

If they're still loading the cart, wait a little longer. It might be that a bunch of them took jobs when the cart was just under 50%, and they all need to finish before the V turns yellow. As far as I can tell, the yellow indicator means that the cart is on the track but not at the stop it should be at.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 03:38:43 pm »

Desired items doesn't behaves properly when in containers. You'll want to use any items at 50% to make it work. I found out the hard way a few times with containers, even bins :D

Otherwise it sounds like it will work properly, outside of it not recognizing stuffs in container properly. Track's at least connected properly if there're no yellow ! and green V means the cart's there.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 06:35:17 pm »

Booze, in particular, is a problem.  I've had carts set to force guide every 12 days trying to booze quantum stockpile.  Once a dwarf wants a drink that's in the minecart, though, you're screwed.  The only way to get that minecart to move from that point is to dump all the booze in the cart to force the thirsty dwarf to release it to other people when what he wanted is no longer in the cart.