Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unstoppable Job?  (Read 480 times)

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
Unstoppable Job?
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »

So, I found out that a random milker migrant had hunting enabled when his job was listed as "hunt".  I kind of wanted no one hunting, so I disabled hunting.  Job remained hunt.  That seemed normal, so, all right, I marked his crossbow as forbidden.  He did not drop the crossbow.  I marked his quiver and the bolts in the quiver as forbidden.  He kept using them.  I burrowed the idiot underground and he reported there... after making a kill.  Is this normal behavior?  Is there any way to tell a dwarf set to "hunt" to STOP RIGHT NOW?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Unstoppable Job?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:34:41 pm »

An emergency burrow might work.  It even works on kids after all.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 07:17:16 pm »

I've found both hunting and fishing will continue untill their current job has compleated even if you disable the labor.   Once their current hunt/fishing expidition has finished they wont start a new one if you turn off the labor.   I've made it a habit of checking therapist and disabeling hunting/fishing every time a migrant wave arives if I am not useing hunters/fishers or dont want more.   If you catch them early they stay inside like you want em to, otherwise you have to wait and hope the morons dont get ambushed.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 07:19:22 pm »

Its like that for all jobs. They gotta finish the job or become unable to do it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:58:50 am »

Its like that for all jobs. They gotta finish the job or become unable to do it.
I had rather hoped forbidding or burrowing would apply the "Unable" -- I knew simply disabling the labor wouldn't do it.  I know I can make a dwarf stop "Store item in stockpile" by forbidding the hauled item, for instance, and burrowing dwarves will often cause them to drop something with "Item inaccessible" or such.  It simply seems a bit odd that forbidden crossbow/bolts/quiver neither stops hunt nor even prevents use of those items.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 01:19:58 am »

Is there any way to tell a dwarf set to "hunt" to STOP RIGHT NOW?

In addition to what you did, try activating mining or woodcutting (you don't even have to unpause, just activate and deactivate).  It should clear him wanting to use his crossbow.  As far as the ammo, do you have other hunters besides this one?  If not, make sure you have the hunters' assigned ammo in the equipment screen removed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:48:56 am »

I know it doesn't work for all jobs, but did you try to stop him through the (j)obs menu, canceling the job?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 03:26:43 am »

I know it doesn't work for all jobs, but did you try to stop him through the (j)obs menu, canceling the job?

Doesn't works for hunting, I've tried it a few times in past. I forget what other job can't be stopped, but they're mostly very annoying ones.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 06:56:39 am »

fishing, crafting, forging, masonry...
any a few things are nice like allowing them to stop fast.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text