Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Someone got a nice newbie world seed?  (Read 1146 times)

FMK

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Someone got a nice newbie world seed?
« on: August 17, 2013, 05:32:29 pm »

Hi.

Weeks later since my last post here, and I still didn't managed to survive long enough to see my first goblin siege yet. :/

Last world I have generated seemed to be great with everything a newbie needs. But even with 10k embark points it ended in a mess cause there I constantly get sieged by undead before the first dwarfen caravan arrives. :(

So I want to ask kindly for a real newbie friendly world seed with a nice embark point.

Would be great to have:
No aquifier, lots of grass for grazers, soil, river (or similar), medium temperature, medium rain, flux, lots of metals (copper, iron, and other important metals), wind (for windmills), forrest, no nearby hostiles (maybe just a few wild animals like aligators), 15-20 z-levels of rock before the first cavern, other dwarfs, humans, elves and goblins should be present, and also other bad things (even necros) when they don't attack to early. And anything else I don't think about yet.

Tried to google for it, but don't find anything for v34.11. Would be great if someone could help me finding me a newbie friendly world seed.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
Re: Someone got a nice newbie world seed?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 07:53:20 pm »

It seems that the undead is your biggest problem. Undead only rears it's head if you embark near a necromancer site. These sites apear in your neighbors list as something other then races; 'tower', 'town', 'forest retreat' etc. instead of 'goblins', 'dwarves', 'humans' etc. Experienced players find undead a struggle, so it's no supprise that you were unable to hold your ground. It might just be enough for you to embark without necromantic neighbors.
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:01:01 am »

It seems that the undead is your biggest problem. Undead only rears it's head if you embark near a necromancer site. These sites apear in your neighbors list as something other then races; 'tower', 'town', 'forest retreat' etc. instead of 'goblins', 'dwarves', 'humans' etc. Experienced players find undead a struggle, so it's no supprise that you were unable to hold your ground. It might just be enough for you to embark without necromantic neighbors.
Its not that undead are even that difficult. Its just theyre bugged to nigh unplayability. You kill hem, (with ease) only for them to just get up again and continue theyre assault. I find ive to dig a hole and drop the corpses into it just to stop them from their relentless assaults. Its not that a 1 v 1 fight with the undead is hard, but after a while even the most mangled corpse gets a lucky hit and then youve got 2 undead on your hands.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:12:26 am »

Hum, that's not "bugged".
Have you seen any zombie movie? Spreading the curse/disease is the whole point of these creatures.
Also, kill the necromancer before the beasts. If you're in a reanimating biome, either embark somewhere else or get better at the game.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 08:26:13 am »

Unless you made a pocket world with some weird parameters, any world should have some good newbie-friendly sites.

Ideally you want a "wilderness" site (Neutral on both the good/evil and calm/savage scales) With Soil, shallow and deep metals and flux stone with no aquafier that sits on a fresh water river or stream. Bonus points for having a 2nd or 3rd non-evil biome in the area to grant you access to a wider variety of plants, animals and materials. (IE having the edge of a sandy desert in your embark will give you access to plenty of sand for a glass industry.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:19 am »

Hum, that's not "bugged".
Have you seen any zombie movie? Spreading the curse/disease is the whole point of these creatures.
Also, kill the necromancer before the beasts. If you're in a reanimating biome, either embark somewhere else or get better at the game.
If theyre not bugged explain why toady is removing the infinite animate ability of the ubdead on the next release? Hes goig to implement the concept of '"mangling and pulping" corpses beyond animation

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 09:49:49 am »

Is it in the bug reports? Has it been stated that this feature is an actual bug, and not intentional? If yes, please, disregard my "not bugged" statement. If not, it is not bugged.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 09:56:39 am »

Undead are annoying, but not impossible. I've had a squad of axedwarves get pushed into my fortress, then turn the ride and force the zombies out. I couldn't find the necromancer but two squads was enough to hold of the risen. Already long enough for me to alter the outside defense if my fortress.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:02:38 am »

Is it in the bug reports? Has it been stated that this feature is an actual bug, and not intentional? If yes, please, disregard my "not bugged" statement. If not, it is not bugged.

I think it's more unintended side effect of necromancer or evil region being able to revive things indefinitely, no matter how mashed up they gets. And undesirable, really, which's close enough to a bug if there're a feature coming in to fix that.

For OP, being as far away from tower as can be while it's still on the civ list helps somewhat to slow down the incoming march of undeads, part of ambush and siege timing is how far they have to travel. Pocket works occasionally gens without goblins ( Either never placed or extniction ) and rarely gets towers with default gen params. The metal part, on other hand, is pretty difficult, I've learnt to live without iron.

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 10:44:54 am »

I only ever embark on undead regions nowadays. I find the game to easy :( I try and make a pit with as many undeads as possible, make a fort with nothing but doors for defenses, arm everyone and then unleash the 200+ undead at once :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 11:48:17 pm »

Hi.

Weeks later since my last post here, and I still didn't managed to survive long enough to see my first goblin siege yet. :/

Last world I have generated seemed to be great with everything a newbie needs. But even with 10k embark points it ended in a mess cause there I constantly get sieged by undead before the first dwarfen caravan arrives. :(

So I want to ask kindly for a real newbie friendly world seed with a nice embark point.

Would be great to have:
No aquifier, lots of grass for grazers, soil, river (or similar), medium temperature, medium rain, flux, lots of metals (copper, iron, and other important metals), wind (for windmills), forrest, no nearby hostiles (maybe just a few wild animals like aligators), 15-20 z-levels of rock before the first cavern, other dwarfs, humans, elves and goblins should be present, and also other bad things (even necros) when they don't attack to early. And anything else I don't think about yet.

Tried to google for it, but don't find anything for v34.11. Would be great if someone could help me finding me a newbie friendly world seed.
Give this one a try, FMK, but keep the following in mind;  The moment the dwarven liaison leaves in the winter of the first year, the goblin civ will start to send thieves and squads.  This is normal and will happen with every world with goblins.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 06:03:38 pm »

I presume you are using the search feature to locate a site when you generate a world ? If I generate a medium world and search for no aquifer, flux stone, many metals, deep soil, has river I dont find that many results. Ill only embark with lots of trees. I look for flat land and I also avoid evil biomes and towers to dodge undead. I agree they need changing. In my opinion the trouble is the finicky "handling" of some game elements, rather than undead being very hard themselves. Were lucky to be playing such an awesome so early in its development. I know its unique, the whole thing.

With all that said, i sometimes gen large worlds in the hope that the larger number of results will guarantee me an embark, however the search can take a long time. I think my last fort I generated 3 worlds before I finally picked an embark spot. It still didnt have everything I wanted but it was good enough and my current fort im very happy with. Possibly my best yet.

Reading about seeds it seems more things than I realised can actually change the results you get from any given seed.

Good luck!

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:53:46 pm »

Thing 1: There's a difference between an easier world and an easier embark. (People have been discussing elements of this, but it's important to know in order to understand their contributions.) Generating a world can rig the majority of the area easier or harder, but most worlds generated with the "basic world generation" mode have a good variety of embarks to look for. That's typically where the advice about what to search for and avoid comes in.

Thing 2: There's both a world generation parameter set and a pseudo-random number generator seed. The parameter set limits and influences the procedure that generates the world; the seed is where the "random" numbers start and therefore determines the incidentals of how the world happens to be laid out. This means that if the world generation procedure is given both the same parameter set and the same seed it will produce the same world, since the sequence of pseudo-random numbers is determinate starting from the same number. It also means that changing the parameter set and using the same seed is usually not practically different from changing it and using a different seed: because the way the procedure uses the sequence of "random" numbers is different if the parameter set is different. However, you can change the seed to get different worlds with the same parameter set and hence the same general characteristics (or at least, the same likely general characteristics within the same limits), whereas changing the parameter set itself will not only get you a completely different world but one with different characteristics (whether drastically or subtly).

Thing 3: The difference between an incomplete feature or feature set and a bugged one can be subtle, and by extension so can the difference between completing a feature or feature set and fixing it. It doesn't matter so much if the developer really is trying to meet people's needs or expectations -- or at least his own high standards of worthwhileness and not just some sellability factor. Speaking from experience, you will, in contrast, find other people out there who will try to spin obvious bugs -- things where the functionality's logic literally cannot produce the result that is the stated purpose of the feature -- as "being built to the design" such that "if you want it changed that will be an enhancement that will cost an extra [insert large number here] dollars." And if they're really bad, you will never actually get to see the design you're being chained to or have any other proof that they're not making it up off the top of their heads. That's one reason savvy contract-writers have to be so savvy: they've got to ensure that the design is itself required to actually be something that meets the requirements of the customer and that if it doesn't the developer can't hide behind it. Similarly, you need clear designs and good quality assurance testing if you're going to separate development and support internal to an organization, otherwise support is left to pick up the ball whenever development doesn't do as well as they should and inevitably they become better experts at it than the people who actually have power/authorization to improve the thing.

Of course, you could argue that there's a note of similarity to this in Toady going off and developing whatever currently interests him instead of fixing whatever the current biggest bugs are, but there are crucial differences: It's a game and not an application a business depends on, Toady's not requiring us to pay him for bug fixes or for the game in the first place, Toady doesn't pretend these issues aren't issues (nevermind whether they're bugs, which doesn't matter so much if you agree they're issues and should be improved without extra cost), and perhaps most importantly Toady is focused on making the game well for its own sake.

All that was probably more than needed to be said, but there you have it nonetheless.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:48:06 pm »

Undead are OP, but not a bug. Plus, I think toady left the silly thing for the laughs. Have you ever had your tanner get murdered by the skin he was tanning, or a soldier strangled by his own lopped off arm?
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!