Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves having curious thoughts.  (Read 629 times)

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
Dwarves having curious thoughts.
« on: August 17, 2013, 03:38:54 pm »

On a new embark I started, the dwarves I got on the first hard-coded migration wave apear to have thoughts about legendary dining rooms, owned bedrooms and traps. I don't have any of these. What could've caused this?
My interactive forum thing: Adventures of Sir Major

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves having curious thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 03:43:02 pm »

On a new embark I started, the dwarves I got on the first hard-coded migration wave apear to have thoughts about legendary dining rooms, owned bedrooms and traps. I don't have any of these. What could've caused this?
Have you had any previous forts you abandoned? They could be from there.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 03:43:27 pm »

My first thought on that is that you recently abandoned another fortress on the same world and the new arrivals came from your old fortress.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 03:49:12 pm »

Have you had any previous forts you abandoned? They could be from there.
I thought about that. I don't think I ever stayed in that world to have a legendary carpenter, though. So I'm checking if there are other possible causes.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 04:17:26 pm »

I've never seen those thoughts on fresh migrants. As far as I know, civ dwarves comes to fortress mostly blank and content. If they're happier or better, then it's pretty likely old fortress inhabitants.

Was one of them a legendary carpenter? It don't take much to generate those kind of thoughts, and I easily get legendary carpenter just building beds and bins with one dwarf.

AfellowDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid crossdresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 05:15:12 pm »

Was one of them a legendary carpenter? It don't take much to generate those kind of thoughts, and I easily get legendary carpenter just building beds and bins with one dwarf.
I screwed up early a few times on that world. I guess I didn't notice him popping up as a migrant in the earlier games.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:44:06 am »

if you still remember your old fort names you can check it with his previous entity memberships. 'was a former member of...'
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:53:21 am »

This definitely can happen if you get migrants from a previous fort.  I've heard tales of tantrum spirals coming from migrants of old forts that were miserable, though I've never seen it myself.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 07:20:53 pm »

This definitely can happen if you get migrants from a previous fort.  I've heard tales of tantrum spirals coming from migrants of old forts that were miserable, though I've never seen it myself.

Migrants showing up right before they go berserk and kill everything is the reason why I now lock down and exterminate the entire populations of failed forts before trying to make a new one.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle