Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tame Train has no Brakes  (Read 618 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tame Train has no Brakes
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:43:31 pm »

I am taming a group of naked mole dogs, and some elk birds, because why not. So far, a few things have happened;

1. I read that Elk birds are grazers, but i'm fairly certain they've been caged for a year and haven't died. [I'm not very dilligent.] Will they, for some reason, survive indefinately while caged?

2. My naked mole dogs are breeding inside their cages, and most of them are either (semi-wild), (trained), or (-trained-). However, a couple of the puppies seem to have acquired the (tame) tag, which I was under the impression was impossible. How did I do this? Does this mean they won't need retraining?

3. uhh.... pretty sure that's it. This is the first time i've really done anything with training, normally i just murder whatever shows up. Anything else you feel I should know, please by all means, lay it on me.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

matskuman5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tame Train has no Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 12:51:08 pm »

As for question 2, I think that anything born from tamed animals is automacilly tame,
so there's no need to tame every animal that gets born in your fort.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 12:54:36 pm »

Well, I'm not so sure. I have several mole puppies. About half of them have the mother's (trained) label, but like 3 of them say (tame). Also, something else is occuring. An elk bird came up with the message "...has been missing for a week.". I thought maybe one of them finally starved to death, but then one of my naked mole dogs also ended up missing for a week. And as far as I know, they aren't grazers. Can they randomly just up and vanish on me?
Legacy of Insightshields

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »

Not sure about the mole dog, but chances are the elk bird did starve. Check the stock screens for the location of the corpse, then send someone out to check. The certainly don't vanish, "...has been missing for a week." definitely means dead but nobody witnessed it or has found the body yet. Naked mole dogs do have a lifespan of 2-3 years, according to the wiki, so they may just be dying of old age.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:37:57 pm »

Grazers only grazes when trained. And missing for a week message always hints at some death happening to civ creature, including freshly trained ones. Corpses aren't visible inside of cages and doesn't shows in cage name, have to examine the cage's contents.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 03:00:03 pm »

2: the children of caught wild but now tamed animals inherit their mothers training level and can be tamed up to tame, fully domesticated, unlike their mother. Sounds complicated, sorry. Easier to say, nothing that you caught as a wild animal can be tamed to tame, but the children/chicks/offspring can and then won't need further taming, ever

There is a lot of info on the wiki on the taming/training of animals. Feel free to ask for more info though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »

How can they inhereit [tame] if the mother herself isn't [tame]? Don't they get her training level?
Legacy of Insightshields

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 03:18:41 pm »

How can they inhereit [tame] if the mother herself isn't [tame]? Don't they get her training level?

You still have ongoing training right?

Young animals can become domesticated.  Just have to train them enough while they're young.  They were not born tame from half wild mothers, they were born half wild, then training brought them the rest of the way.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 05:30:46 pm »

If it's born Wild, you can't make it Tame.
If it's born Trained, you can make it Tame if you train it before it reaches adulthood.
If it's born Tame, it's treated like a domestic animal or caravan purchase.

If you want a War or Hunting animal, this can be applied to a Tame animal. Not sure about Trained ones.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 06:22:47 pm »

If it's born Wild, you can't make it Tame.
If it's born Trained, you can make it Tame if you train it before it reaches adulthood.
If it's born Tame, it's treated like a domestic animal or caravan purchase.

If you want a War or Hunting animal, this can be applied to a Tame animal. Not sure about Trained ones.

You can make anything tame if you train it before it reaches adulthood, up to and including the offspring of (caged) invaders.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:04 pm »

That's even better then...

So, the only thing you can't tame is an adult. Either it's too old to accept taming, it's tame already, or it's an invader and will always hate your guts.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 02:54:35 am »

I think it's repeated often enough now

The young inherit the training level and then can be tamed all the way to [tame]. If you don't, their tameness deteriorates just like moms. Good point made by a previous post is that you have to get them young. As soon as they grow to adulthood wihout being fully tamed they'll never be
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 12:37:53 pm »

another piece that was not mentioned is that your caged grazer can be kept alive by training because you need food to train
Ellipsis free since August 2013.