Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76481 times)

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #345 on: May 12, 2014, 02:38:57 pm »

pssst. It was me.

Mainly the PMs were to keep from flooding the thread with theories of what you could do  :P

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 12, 2014, 06:21:59 pm »

pssst. It was me.

Mainly the PMs were to keep from flooding the thread with theories of what you could do  :P

LOL. This thread has found itself a design for safe multilevel aquifer piercing, a discussion of FB traps, and who knows what else in forgetting offhand. Flood away!

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 14, 2014, 10:16:44 am »

Hmm, magnetite? that shows up in blobs, not veins, if I remember correctly
122k cassiterite
14k magnetite?
I would guess that means that ALL the "deep metal", through all caverns, is cassiterite, and the magnetite is probably your "shallow metal", existing only above the first cavern

I'm not 100% sure on that, but that is what I would do in looking for it.
In any case, magnetite blobs are not that easy to find by accident.
You may need to make exploratory tunnels, or dig up and down in the center of any magnetite blob you have found so far, I usually see magnetite on 2-3 z levels in the blobs it appears in.
It's never just a one layer blob unless it's replaced by a blob of something else, like a blob of microcline..

And one more thought, if the lava in the OMG were to level out to 4/7 everywhere, instead of moving between 3/7 and 4/7, would that not reduce liquid calculations, because with everything at the same amount, it wont be calculating where it balances out to?
Of course that could be a pain to try without a little DFhack, but still.. FPS :)

Interesting idea with the walls in the tree farm, I wouldn't have thought of that, and it looks like that's going to work :)

both fun and educational as always :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 16, 2014, 09:12:24 pm »

FurnaceClans 27 is up.  I get the OMG back and the tree farm is finally flooded out.

http://youtu.be/7PxoV6i8284

@enizer:
RE: Magnetite Blobs: I've dug out all the ones I have found, and I use vein digging, which will get multiple Z's involved.  There's probably a lot more but I am also leary of FPS death, so it'll happen slowly.

For balancing out the magma, I'd need a pretty significant system to pull it off without cheating.  The 3/4 flow isn't too bad, honestly.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 17, 2014, 01:18:31 am »

I have an idea to take care of your "dude hiding under the wall" problem. Upright weapons trap. Just checked the wiki, all traps (including levers, and upright weapons) are ignored by building destroyers.

You have plenty of goblinite, to smelt for iron and steel, to make the spears, and the the mechanisms.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 17, 2014, 03:44:12 pm »

I like that one Tenderroast.  I think I just got overfocused on the initial design that I wasn't even thinking of that.

I'd initially built the bottom of the magma chutes on the side with Impulse Ramps to deal with any cart that might fall off the route when it hit something, but that doesn't seem to be happening at all.  Next time I take the system completely down for maintenance (there's a few horse corpses and the like that keep getting plowed over) I'll swap the ramps out for spikes and hook it to a pressure plate or two on the OMG runner.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2014, 11:35:55 pm »

all you really need is 2 sets of spikes. Under your anti flyer walls. The B-52 system works great for the rest. Unless of course, you just want to fully automate it, so you can go lazy mode. Because lazy mode is always fun  :P

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: May 19, 2014, 04:37:04 am »

all you really need is 2 sets of spikes. Under your anti flyer walls. The B-52 system works great for the rest. Unless of course, you just want to fully automate it, so you can go lazy mode. Because lazy mode is always fun  :P

Yeah, but I like lazy, particularly with a low # of dwarves. :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2014, 01:21:32 pm »

I went from no materials to probably 4 episodes worth in a single evening's play session.  Good grief.  This will take a bit to edit into something coherent.

Teaser: At the end of last night's session I may have just seen the beginning of the tantrum spiral that will take FC out.  Partially my fault, partially an 'oh my god, you bastards, you killed Kenny' kind of thing.  However, you'll have to enjoy that tease, there's plenty more science that Glados I did in the meanwhile to discuss.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »

*WoobMonkey cancels have life: busy refreshing YouTube top-page.*
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 20, 2014, 06:04:14 pm »

Stop refreshing, it's here:   :D

http://youtu.be/cbL5xibivYU

One of them anyway.  General Fortress review as we've moved forward with certain digs and tree farms and the like, and a review of how I'm building the ice walls against the edge of the world.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 20, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »

Not uploading in HD anymore?  Gotta ask, because it's very hard to read anything on screen in 360p.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 20, 2014, 06:29:40 pm »

You got there while it was still processing.  Try again.

It initializes in 360, then it processes the upper levels of the HD.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 20, 2014, 06:31:07 pm »

Gotcha.  Guess I'll just have to look at it again later.  Oh, the torture!
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 20, 2014, 06:32:08 pm »

Gotcha.  Guess I'll just have to look at it again later.  Oh, the torture!

Just fired it up.  1080 is active.

Edit: That's very odd, this does look a little rough still. It's using the same export settings I did for 20-27, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Um, give it an hour.  YouTube may be having some conniptions in the background.  I usually let them upload in the morning and then release at night, so the pre-process they insist on may not be complete for a while.

Edit 2: Alright, that still looks... a bit blurry to me.  Let me know if it's too much, I'll re-export it and try again.  Not sure what the hell is going on here.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32