Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76549 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #270 on: February 21, 2014, 03:13:28 am »

Sigh, frustration.

FRAPS doesn't work to record desktop on Windows 8/8.1.  It also won't recognize DF as a single screen app to record, either.  AKA: I don't currently have a way to record the gameplay.  So I upgraded my PC to get the damned movie making softwares to work... and now I can't record!

I'm pretty sure a sober dwarf was involved in here somewhere.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 21, 2014, 03:16:28 am »

Just use the in-game recorder. Failing that, boot up the ol' WMN (or whatever it was), it allowed you to record the screen for a few minutes.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 21, 2014, 03:31:48 am »

Just use the in-game recorder. Failing that, boot up the ol' WMN (or whatever it was), it allowed you to record the screen for a few minutes.

There is no in game recorder.  What you think is one is actually a really badly named macro recorder.

I have no idea what the ol' WMN is...

Edit: May have found a successful replacement, free to boot for non commercial work, called Debut.  May be in luck yet. :)  I'll try again tomorrow, it's late.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 21, 2014, 04:13:05 am »

There is no in game recorder.  What you think is one is actually a really badly named macro recorder.

I have no idea what the ol' WMN is...

Edit: May have found a successful replacement, free to boot for non commercial work, called Debut.  May be in luck yet. :)  I'll try again tomorrow, it's late.

1. I think WMN is Windows Movie Maker.
2. The in-game movie recorder can be accessed via pressing ;. Are you thinking of CTRL+R?

-relurks-

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 21, 2014, 11:33:07 am »

Yes, I was thinking of CTRL-R, from this:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Macros_and_Keymaps

I'd forgotten about the in game recorder because it uses Corel Move Animation format... which nothing but the CMV player reads.  It won't load into either Pinnacle or Sony Movie Studio.  I may need to go find a codec but I found it more trouble than it was worth.

My apologies on that, Smurfing, it was late last night, I didn't mean to be so sharp in my response.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2014, 10:52:56 pm »

So, Debut... is aggravating.

The video capture area it produces is unstable.  AKA: It moves on you while recording if you work in two windows.  The problem is you can't see the capture while it's capturing, so you only find out after the fact.

Needless to say, this next video is going to be a bit wonky.  I'm exploring other screen capture software now.

On top of that, for those curious, you have to convert out of the Huffman Lossless for any of the big 3 (Pinnacle, Sony Video, or Premiere) to be able to read the files.  Yes, I've downloaded the codec, no, it didn't make a difference.  Thankfully you can convert to IYUV via the built in components.

I'll get back to you on how things are going.  Right now it looks like I'm going to buy Premiere from Adobe... I really wasn't impressed by Sony Video, felt like I was fighting too many things in the interface. 

As to the challenge, however, some teasers:
A human diplomat visits.
The FB Obsidianizer finally is working.
I expand the magma delivery system to include a dump on the eastern side of the OMG.
I show you how to open a water system up from below without ever getting a damp dwarf.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2014, 03:37:00 pm »

Wow, you would think that screen capture recording should be more straightforward!  Good work struggling past these obstacles as well as you have.  If the video looks wonky, just blame it on a forgotten beast attack against your computer.

I've recently been playing my Terrifying Tundra embark fort again and learning about zombie-butchering methods.  I've not been quite as bad-ass as you, so I've been using some cage-traps here and there and captured undead make well-behaved prisoners; dwarves can haul them from location to location without issue.

...That is until I was hauling an undead caravan Mule to a pasture where my military was waiting to put it down.  My soldiers were in the middle of the pasture, but the transporting dwarf (my Legendary Carpenter) let go of the mule right at the pasture's edge, and fled from the large hostile animal AWAY from my military and over into my upper well-room out of reach of the marksdwarves.  My popcorn danger-room buffed Macedwarves were fast, but not fast enough to put down the mule before it shattered my carpenter's limbs in 5 different places.  At this time I was also carrying out a bucket-recycling program, melting down the lesser quality buckets made by my blacksmith-in-training.  The result is that my doctor had no buckets available (the hospital was stocked with: -iron bucket- M), and so didn't bother to wash the carpenter's wounds.  After 3 months of medical care (in which my patient was briefly abandoned due to a Party), my carpenter's wounds have been patched up and she is lying in traction hoping to heal up faster than her infections kill her.  She's Faint but not Pale yet, so I have hope!

Anyways, it was all worthwhile in order to save the life of a possessed craft-child who demanded some bone.  I hope he appreciates the sacrifice.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2014, 06:17:16 pm »

Heheh, yeah, zombie butchering can be a bit nuts.  I'm personally swimming in dog meat.  I'm debating on trying a 'beastmaster' setup for a dwarf or two (30+ wardogs each) and see what happens on the surface.  I am 90% sure it's going to fail hysterically because as each dog dies the enemy becomes more numerous, but it should be amusing.  If I had Lions or something it'd be a lot more fun, but I haven't seen elves.

I've finally gotten the movie built up and am doing final touches (background music, sound effects, annotations, dwarf bubbles, title/trailer, etc) in the new software.  Did an upload to YouTube and confirmed that my settings are good, should be able to get pretty clear 1080p now.  I was running everything previously at 720.  Also I've located and purchased a different screen capture software for Windows 8.1 - Bandicam.  It takes a little getting used to and it was a bit gnarly getting the settings straight for me, but it works and I no longer have to mess with my desktop size to record a 1080x720 display.

So... yeah, be gentle on this next one.  I'm throwing in a bunch of extras because the screen work... well... yeah.  I'm realizing, though, just how much effort this crap takes, however.  It's funny.  If you start seriously editing your own work, in any way, when you go and watch something else (youtube, movie, anything) you start seeing it as clips and tracks and layers and... you realize just HOW much time some of this shit really takes.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2014, 10:59:51 pm »

It's really amazing just how much time goes into converting raw footage into something watchable. 

...That's why so many people simply don't bother!

(A year an a half ago I stopped making Minecraft Redstone-Computer videos because the stress of planning, recording, editing and uploading was getting a bit too much for me.  I didn't quit though as much as I "decided I'd do it later", and after 18 months later hasn't come.  Do try not to burn yourself out on DF videos; nobody wins when a dwarf fails at a strange mood.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:03:46 pm by Hans Lemurson »
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2014, 11:36:46 pm »

Emphasis mine. This reasoning in its entirety is a bit dated, especially with advancements in aquifer breaching techniques discussed in the thread. There are also ways that one could make the challenge more difficult, or simply impossible. I don't believe a one pick challenge over a terrifying/reanimating scorching rocky wasteland/no vegetation/multiple layer aquifer/no magma/no cavern 1 or 3 would be possible. There was challenge on a world where the base temp was 10000 (as opposed to the standard 25-75) a while back that was doable (the secret is dogs).

No magma would most definatly make things difficult although I'm not familiar with what disabeling cavern 1 and 3 would do.  Does that block all underground vegetation?  that would make things more difficult for sure as you could do no underground farming.  would you still get trees from cavern 2 or would those be gone as well?   I still think that would be doable with a bit of care.  If I remember right you can still do above ground farming in both those biome's you mentioned so if you can hold out till an elven/human caravan arives to get some seeds off of that should still be a viable, if obsurdly challanging embark.  Unless cavern 2 still existed and still gives its trees or you hapen to have a form of coal on the map metal/glass/clay industries are throttled by however much wood caravans bring in.

As to surviving till caravans arive that shouldnt be much harder than the standard challange asumeing they can reach you at all.  Work on aquifer pierce, butcher the pack animals when needed. they should provide enough food to last till dwarven caravan although you may have to lock the migrant waves in a room to starve.   trade if possible with dwarvan caravan, if they dont survive scavange the remains for food and supplies.  depending on how much food you get off that you may have to lock out future migrant waves and hope elves/humans show up with something useful.   Baring that your only hope of a food supply is that migrants or the caravans bring a breeding pair of something apropreate or better yet an egg layer and no mater what booze is going to be problematic.  A freezing biome where you have no hope of above ground farming would be harder in this case I think as you'd have no option for booze at all short of whatever arived on caravans.
Now that I think about it, one could creatively trap the wild animal spawn on the surface preventing other creatures from using miners and channels (the same way players leave one clown on the map to prevent more demons from spawning).

.xxx.
.xwx.
.xxx.

Basically, you trap him on a plateau. If he can't get off the map, nothing else spawns, making all embarks with a soft zlvl -1 dooable in theory.

Anyway, caverns three is arguably more dangerous than caverns two, but has valuable nethercap, which is useful, but I forgot that I already turned magma off.

Anyway, the prevailing wisdom of the single pick challenge consists of get down into caverns 1 and set up shop because the surface will rapidly become overrun with zombies. If you can get set up on the surface before the corpses start snowballing, not breaching the aquifer seems viable.

Fairawen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »

For recording - I've heard Dxtory is decent. Had is suggested to me via several YouTube friends, though I've never tried it myself. I do believe it's free...? Worth checking out, anyway.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 01, 2014, 02:04:52 pm »

I've not used it much, but Open Broadcasting Software was pretty simple to get installed and recording.  I've used it to record some Planetside 2 game play, and not DF, but I see no reason it can't record DF as well since it appears to be hooking into the video stream for whatever process you tell it to monitor.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 01, 2014, 09:43:15 pm »

Good job with your traps and systems.  It's impressive that you can keep straight what everything does!

Are you going to be using any danger rooms to buff up your new soldiers when they grow up, or are you going to be relying on regular instruction and sparring practice?
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 02, 2014, 03:20:31 pm »

Good job with your traps and systems.  It's impressive that you can keep straight what everything does!
Many, MANY Notes.  Every lever has a descriptive name and text description in case I forget... which I do regularly.

Are you going to be using any danger rooms to buff up your new soldiers when they grow up, or are you going to be relying on regular instruction and sparring practice?
Good old fashioned sparring.  No danger rooms, coinstars, or anything else.  I may cage trap a few somethings and use them for eternal target practice however.  Zombies are GREAT for that.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32