Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76456 times)

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2013, 12:48:02 am »

I feel your pain.  Stez was a Savannah Titan who arrived early summer... roaming the Tundra.  At least you got some migrants in. Mine got webbed on arrival.   :-\  You got a flier, I got a webber.  That should be interesting.  Is your trade depot underground?  If so, very nice trap.  :D

I've also got the teleportion bug fixed in my version so that wasn't an option.   :(  Nice bonus, though.
ya depot was underground.  surface has never really been safe enough to send anybody up to build one.  I was kinda hopeing to have enough time to pop up and seal the entrance with raised bridges to force caravan spawning but that didn't work out.  either way I'd dug out the depot and a path with a big bridge/atom smasher with airlock  and only exposed my miner long enough to drill the 3 up ramps at the far end when nothing was close enough to gank him.

oddly enough I wasnt even thinking about the teleport but may as well use it since it happend.  If it hadn't happend I was just one removed construction from being able to mostly safely retrieve the stuff, this just accelerated the proccess a bit.  And I'm not sure how my fort managed to attact 29 setelers this season.   I wasn't finished punching the new hole for my new depot, all the parts were in but I hadnt done the last 3 digs and of corse my miner was attending a party at the time, I put a stop to that but then he went to sleep...   Intrestingly enough 5 hunters were in the bunch and they managed to fend off alot of the undead till the lazy bum woke up so I could let migrants in. another 10 migrants and 3 brave hunters gave up their lives.  I'm rather tempted to quarenteen the lot that got in about half of them are down in the 30s for their moods and I've had a few tantrums from them already.  and considering I've got no way to stop their loved ones from roting, this could be bad.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 02:53:47 am by Merendel »

tussock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 07:12:08 am »

@Hatch Covers: Sorry, can't find where I had that working and can't get it working again. Sure I had a combined pit/garbage dump that dumped the goblinite strait through the covers though (easier cleaning that way). Maybe only works from adjacent cages?, or just my fevered imagination. Will try a bit getting one working tomorrow.

Ah well, keep up the !fun!, and 5 levels seemed to work for you anyway.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2013, 09:07:00 pm »

Oh, I had forgotten that I nullified the titan wealth attack requirement at world gen. Who knew?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2013, 09:47:51 pm »

A semi-effective corpse disposal method I developed in the early game was to freeze them in ice.

The aquifer-pierce has ice walls next to aquifer tiles, so I set up a dumping zone above one of these walls, and then when the corpse is deposited, I order a miner to channel away that tile.  The corpse falls down, the aquifer fills the tile with water, and the wall is re-formed.

I only had a corpse re-animate on me once during the channeling, and my miner dispatched it with a single blow, then proceeded to dig out the ice underneath.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2013, 11:36:55 pm »

Not a bad idea Hans, but the problem isn't dumping them at this point... it's killing them in the first place.  :D

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2013, 01:41:03 am »

I'm going to experiment with how effective Crossbows are at re-killing corpses.  You get a rapid response to resurrection events, and can avoid the "attacked by undead" penalty if they don't get into melee.

However I don't know how much damage a crossbow will do to a zombie, given their lack of vitals.  However, physical destruction of the corpse isn't necessary to bring down a zombie, and we know from testing that crossbow bolts deliver very powerful hits, so they might do the trick.  (Might be more effective if the zombies were wearing armor though...)

If crossbows fail, there's always trust hammers and maces.  I'm gonna try a mace-based military.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 02:58:10 am »

as long as they are just reanimated things dwarf size are smaller they tend to go down in 1 hit from a crossbow in my experience.   since they work on a HP system instead of the damage system living creatures use and the fact that a crossbow is in fact on par with futuristic rail guns in the kind of damage they do it does not take much to kill them. the problem is untrained dwarves miss alot.   Husks/thralls are alot more dangerous and generaly I wouldnt bother trying to fight them with a military.  containment or atomsmashers all teh way.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2013, 04:01:59 am »

As a note to this concern...

I've watched 5xgoblin ambushes fall horribly when they're mostly bow.  It's a volume issue.

They can take out the first 5/6 undead relatively easily.  The next few use up their ammo. 50/50 kill rate.  After that, they get overwhelmed, with what they killed not 2 minutes ago resurrecting behind them and removing their threat rating.  Add 4 ambushes to your undead problem.

Welcome to DF. :)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2013, 01:29:14 pm »

I've been making a few attempts at this recently, and using the map posted earlier in the thread I've noticed something...

Quite a bit of that tundra is non-reanimating, and the evil weather is less-lethal than I was expecting. Still challenging to get through the aquifer before starvation hits, but I got lucky and found some bauxite I could use to tunnel my way down nicely. Once in the caverns, and protected from random animal wanderers (and the resident amphibian men I almost dropped in on) its not so bad.

Might want a reanimating biome with worse weather on my next attempt. Any to be had on that map provided?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2013, 01:58:38 pm »

If you look at the map in edgefigaro's post under the spoiler, it'll show you a very difficult region.  The aquifer is solid, no break-throughs, and it's undead raising.  Most of that biome is similar.  The dust in that region makes everyone dizzy, but I haven't seen much other affects from it.  The undead are dangerous enough.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2013, 08:02:42 am »

Time for my second try.  I let the caravan in successfully, but wasn't able to let them leave due to undead polar bear problems.

Long story short, undead horses can use their hooves of fury to one-shot your military.

I've read that merchants can depart through the cavern.  I'll have to try that next time.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »

I need to apologize folks.  FurnaceClans is alive and well, and I have a year worth of recordings for it.  My computer, however, is screwing up something fiercely.  I'm getting video stalls and recording stalls all over the place, and it's getting to the point where it may be time to simply update the PC because...well... something's wrong.  I'd bought a new video card to hopefully remove the problems I was getting but in some ways they've become worse, though everything's prettier now when it's locked between frames in games like World of Tanks.

So I've got about an hour and a half worth of material I need to attempt to salvage and turn into something useful, and also see if I can figure out how to silence the voiceover on the FRAPS recording and include a second overlay without hearing the first one.  This will take me a bit.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2013, 05:08:31 pm »

You could claim that you were trying to record during the middle of a temporal fluctuation where voices of the past and future overlapped and merged together.

Nerds'll eat that sci-fi stuff right up!

The dust in my new site seems to make zombies bleed, but living creatures merely become dizzy and nauseous (as far as I can tell).  My cart animals were a male and female horse, and I decided (in my infinite wisdom) to try to make a horse farm.  I had to slaughter the male for food, but the female was pregnant and gave birth to another female colt.  Maybe when merchants arrive, one of their animals can "spread the spores".  Although a look at the grazer chart is making me think that this is less and less of an awesome idea.
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »

I currently run Vista ( I know, I know...) so Windows Movie Maker 2012 is out, which has some features I require/want.  It requires Windows Essentials which I need at least Windows 7 for.

EZVid was not worth the time to download.  You can't NOT have sound going.  The split mechanic for imported videos is horrendous.  Add a few dozen other issues I had with it, like importing a 20gig FRAPS video took upwards of half an hour to begin editing.  WMM can compile that into a movie in 10 minutes.  Oh, yeah, and the ONLY place EZVid can upload to is youtube.  You can't make videos for usage in any other format other than direct upload.

I'm currently reviewing a trial of Pinnacle 16.  If this can get me from point A to point B I may buy it and call it good.

EDIT: It takes a while to download, but this is some nice software.  It's also the first software I've found that can split the audio off the video channel and into its own when FRAPS recorded, and speed up the audio back to near normal independent of the video.  I feel like I just gained a level in equipment.  or two.

This... this is going to get purchased, methinks.  Amazon's got Ultimate on sale for around $90 with shipping.  This may have to happen.  Anyways, hopefully you'll start seeing a lot better quality stuff out of my videos once I get a better handle on using this tool and the channel overlays.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2013, 10:04:43 pm »

As an additional fun challenge, I propose digging out a room and assigning it to the expedition leader. The value of the room must then increase by a certain amount now and again.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32