Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76535 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #240 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:48 pm »

I'm late to the party, just watched the first two videos (just finished IvyLash #1).  TYVM for your narrative - I've learned a few things.  Going to keep watching to see how you handle the cavern and then may try my hand at a less than idyllic start myself.
The 'serious' attempt is FurnaceClans, the 4th attempt.  Glad to help out though.  And no worries on being tardy, plenty of dwarven ale in the still.

In a reanimating biome, if a tanner is right next to the butcher, as well as a farmer's workshop for spinning, and plenty (all but the miner) of dwarfs are tanners / spinners, how likely is it to safely process the hair and skin?
It's not.  The hair/skin can reanimate during the tanning/spinning process.  If you have enough idlers it can be done, but I recommend you armor/weaponize all your craftspeople before you attempt it in significant volume.

Edit: I forgot to mention - I find your captions absolutely hilarious!
Thanks. :)  It's a shame, but I've had to stop doing them due to a few reasons.  One, they literally doubled the time it took to setup a video.  Two, they are incredibly painful to try to review when they're your own work, the 'show annotations' option doesn't always show up.  Three, they're sporadic even for other viewers and only reach a portion of the audience.  They just simply ended up not being worth the time.  I did them for a reasonable # of episodes though, so I'm glad you're enjoying them. :)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2014, 09:11:11 pm »

FurnaceClans 15 is up.  Find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md_MitChMQc

Migrants, flooding out the OMG, initial design for the migrant trap, and modifications to the magma dump.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:10 am »

I'm always more impressed by the grinder, though I would have been tempted to try to save more of the goblinite

one thing it looks like you missed, you were talking about your other miner being missing, um.. there's an undead guy in your hospital. (14:58 in the video)
I would guess that's your missing miner, and he died of infection or something.

edit: also, if you were planning to completely flood everything, I think you could build/carve fortifications through the constructed walls on the upper level, i'm pretty sure that would let liquid through, but not the undead
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:17:19 am by enizer »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2014, 11:58:49 am »

one thing it looks like you missed, you were talking about your other miner being missing, um.. there's an undead guy in your hospital. (14:58 in the video)
I would guess that's your missing miner, and he died of infection or something.
Nah, that's the kid that fell in one of the gopher holes years on years ago.  I've never gotten him out.

edit: also, if you were planning to completely flood everything, I think you could build/carve fortifications through the constructed walls on the upper level, i'm pretty sure that would let liquid through, but not the undead
Fliers can, though I could double layer.  When I built it, I hadn't intended to flood it however.  This was more emergency maintenance.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 10, 2014, 04:08:42 pm »

ah, I would have cleared that zombie out myself, pretty sure it would stress me out to have a literal skeleton in a closet rather then a metaphorical one :)

I dont quite see where the miner can get lost to then, not in a reanimating biome.. it's pretty hard to just die quietly in a corner somewhere in this biome..

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2014, 04:06:56 am »

FurnaceClans 16 is posted (and in the saga playlist).  This episode is personally nicknamed: Silk outta Luck.

Found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hud5OZ1-npY

Closed, cleaned, refilled, and reopened the OMG.  Multiple mood deaths to lack of silk.  A badass FB gets into the OMG and practically ignores the minecart.  Drainage system needed some assistance, and general bits and pieces.

Overall, nothing particularly exciting, just maintenance and getting to watch a few migrant waves die because there's still too many undead for them to get past.

tom_kazansky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2014, 10:45:10 pm »

what is worst biome metalless/fluxless glacier next to a goblin castle? 

also video is private-

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2014, 03:03:06 am »

also video is private-
Goblin goblinite forgotten bastage...

errr.. Whoops.  Thanks. My bad. :)

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:31 pm »

also video is private-
Tundra is considered more difficult than glacier.  Reasoning here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Emphasis mine. This reasoning in its entirety is a bit dated, especially with advancements in aquifer breaching techniques discussed in the thread. There are also ways that one could make the challenge more difficult, or simply impossible. I don't believe a one pick challenge over a terrifying/reanimating scorching rocky wasteland/no vegetation/multiple layer aquifer/no magma/no cavern 1 or 3 would be possible. There was challenge on a world where the base temp was 10000 (as opposed to the standard 25-75) a while back that was doable (the secret is dogs).

Various things aren't as big of a deal in terms of difficulty. Ore and flux are rarely a concern. Goblins bring goblinite, dwarves bring various metals. Sand makes glass. In any case, dwarven engineering is the strongest force in the universe, and requires no metal.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 22, 2014, 10:49:33 pm »

So, I've accepted the challenge and finally got a stable fort going. I'm just wondering how to hunt and/or butcher livestock in here, since everything reanimates so quickly once it's dead (I had a mood that needed bones... had to savescum since the moody dwarf went berserk and I had no military... He was my only miner at the time). I can get leather from the traders, and I accept not having shells if a mood needs it but having no bones? That's kinda important IMO.
Any suggestions on safe ways to kill livestock on reanimating biomes?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2014, 02:32:31 am »

Deep dump pit (5z+) with magma in the bottom right next to a butchery.  Do them one at a time, have every member of the fort with tanning on, and make sure the leatherworker's is right next to the butcher.  If you're feeling truly brave, put a farmer's workshop right next door too and see if you can get ahead of the hair.

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:27 am »

Deep dump pit (5z+) with magma in the bottom right next to a butchery.  Do them one at a time, have every member of the fort with tanning on, and make sure the leatherworker's is right next to the butcher.  If you're feeling truly brave, put a farmer's workshop right next door too and see if you can get ahead of the hair.

Will try as soon as I complete my pump stack. Thanks.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 24, 2014, 02:14:01 pm »

FurnaceClans 17 is posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeZAJyi1P7w

Semi-trapped raven, the beginnings of a FB trap (expanding in next episode), trader entry built out, and just in time yarn inventory.

peridot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2014, 02:23:47 pm »

Smithheats is begun. Seven dwarves, a yak bull and a horse, a wagon, and a pick. We arrived on the tundra, dug a U-bend and a soil room and struck everything underground before the weasel woman corpses could catch us. I worried because I am supposed to have salt water, but the dwarves seem to be able to drink from a hole dug into the aquifer. They started getting pretty hungry before I risked slaughtering the yak, and I still don't have a proper corpse disposal method. I struck a cavern, but haven't yet found a spot I can fortify and farm; it may prove easier to just irrigate some stone with the aquifer, if I can collect some seeds. I'll see if I can get a trade depot built, but I think for now I'm going to not worry about the wagons.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2014, 02:36:58 pm »

Good to hear!  Good luck Peridot.

So, just an update, FurnaceClans 18 is... well, in editing mode.  I've got a rediculous amount of footage for what's actually a relatively simple series event that I'm trying to turn into a reasonable length of time.  In case anyone's curious... I usually spend about 3x as much time editing as I do playing/recording.  This one's taking a lot longer.  Just not sure where/what to trim, it's so spread out.

So, I'm going to ask those who watch/post in this thread:
Do you want to see my fumbles and foibles with the magma delivery system with a couple of false starts, or do you just want me to keep it to the crux of issues I've reviewed previously in the series without much fanfare?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32