Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76479 times)

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:47 pm »

Hey there, very interesting thread

I have been playing since 0.28.181.40d and I never did a "proper" challenge, shame on me

But I decided to give this a shot if you people don't mind

There was a lot of FUN at the beginning of this, (besides the first 3 failed forts)
From the original 7 only the miner and two peasants remain useful, the first death was at the very start caused by some beast, (There are two biomes one is savage and the other haunting) two others were killed by a drafhta and a giant olm, and the two others are Insane 

Here are some pictures
We have found some water, the dorfs are gathering plants from the cave and built a wall to protect us from the lovely hostile serpent people

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's good to have more challengers! How was the aquifer pierce? Are you doing glacier or tundra? That there site have some reanimation?

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2013, 07:04:59 pm »

This go FUN certainly

I got 20 dwarves, no survivors from the original 7 neither from the first migrant wave of 12 dwarves

The serpent people have been destroyed from my fort, they asked for it attacking civilians dwarves

The good thing about being in a haunted biome is that when your recruits die and your dwarves retreat, the corpses rise again to continue fighting your enemies, I just love that hehe

Bloody Giant cave spiders fortunately they got butchered before they could rise again
This challenge is being particularly tough to me, I don't have trouble with the anvils, pets, food or the other stuff at embark

But I ALWAYS embark with 4 picks and 4 proficient miners.
Anyway this a very interesting challenge! I will post more pictures of my fort

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2013, 07:31:16 pm »

Kinda weird about the aquifer, there are two biomes one is the artic sea and the other is hauting, both of them are aquifers and freezing,
I just digged at the frozen sea at its lowest level and then to the rock and deep into the caverns

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2013, 07:44:09 pm »

I just digged at the frozen sea at its lowest level and then to the rock and deep into the caverns

You managed to avoid the aquifer.  :)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »

I just found out that caged zombies are extremely docile, and I was able to pit a number of corpses into my atom-smasher.

Cage-traps may very well be capable of providing a solution to the zombie problem.

However, the trap I'm planning on trying is a 1x10 retracting bridge atop a narrow pathway with two pits on either side.  When in operation, my plan is that the bridge will be constantly cycling, and with each extension and retraction will knock the zombies into the side pits where they will probably be atom-smashed.

I've had a number of strange moods, some which have required bone.  For this I captured some Elk-bird corpses from the caverns, had them pitted into a butcher-shop next to my marksdwarf barracks.  1-2 bolts will down a zombie, and their itchy trigger fingers meant that the occasional reanimation didn't cause much problem.  There was a bit of a problem with the Feather (acts like hair but can't be spun) reanimating, but all the waste products were disposed of and my armorsmith successfully completed his strange mood...for carpentry. >:(
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2013, 08:21:21 pm »

You managed to avoid the aquifer.  :)

Yeah but not the miasma storm after the war with the serpent people, a long and bitter war, It was only using bone bolts and bone crossbows

Their survivors know what's good for them!

Compare and contrast with the last population cap

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2013, 08:24:27 pm »

I just found out that caged zombies are extremely docile, and I was able to pit a number of corpses into my atom-smasher.

Cage-traps may very well be capable of providing a solution to the zombie problem.
I have to say, I'm very proud of the fact that I've kept to my personal preference of not using a single cage trap yet (I didn't mention it as that wasn't part of the original challenge), and the OMG continues in that.

However, the trap I'm planning on trying is a 1x10 retracting bridge atop a narrow pathway with two pits on either side.  When in operation, my plan is that the bridge will be constantly cycling, and with each extension and retraction will knock the zombies into the side pits where they will probably be atom-smashed.
That's an interesting idea.  May I recommend you make it 30-40 squares long though (multiple bridges).  This is because of how fast the kobold thief undead can move and how slowly bridges will cycle.  I'm interested in finding out how well that works though.

my armorsmith successfully completed his strange mood...for carpentry. >:(

Awww... :(

FurnaceClans has finally finished all dry-runs on the trap and I just finished the build prep for the Magma Lift.  Hopefully I'll have the next part out within the week.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2013, 08:54:16 pm »

I usually only use a few cagetraps here and there to catch a few stray invaders for live-training of my soldiers.  It's amazing how long a goblin can survive being pummeled with training spears.

Can't use that in the zombie lands though, so I resorted to cages out of desperation.  Also I wanted to catch some "preserved" meat.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2013, 12:31:30 am »

I have every intention of cagetrapping the fuck out of my fortress. Cages everywhere. In hallways. Near butchers. Dormitories. Everywhere.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2013, 03:51:40 am »

I have every intention of cagetrapping the fuck out of my fortress. Cages everywhere. In hallways. Near butchers. Dormitories. Everywhere.

Ya I've had the inclination to add cage traps around my fort as well. not so much to deal with the undead but to deal with the dwarves that invariably go nuts.   I just lost my best planter to a dwarf that went berserk.   I didnt notice his mood trigger and he wanted some workshop I hadnt mad (probably a bowery considering his proffession) anyway he went bonkers in the dining hall, turned to my planter who was just chowing down on a plump helment and punched him hard enough to cave in his skull.  while cage traps probably wouldnt have saved the planter it might prevented further injuries till my military could show up.  Then agian my other plan of haveing every dwarf walking around with a crossbow might help too.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 11, 2013, 04:01:09 am »

.... You know, I may have to give in and allow the butchery one in FurnaceClans.  Drunken Dorf Dumping seems to be a seriously low priority item.

Also, a recommendation.  If you manage to get in some form of pet(s), aka, some poor dogs you saved along the way... make sure you check EVERY pasture on 1st of Spring.  Holy crap was that a mess waiting to happen.  Dog died of old age.  I'm sitting there deleting every job on every dorf except refuse hauling trying to get mama-dog the hell out of the pasture and into the dump pit.  Ended up dumping two, luckily the other dogs (war trained) were willing to go after her.  I chucked the second one (wounded) in self defense, since animal care is borked.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2013, 08:38:41 am »

A migrant wave just arrived for me, and I decided to see if I could get ANY of them inside before the zombie horde tore them to shreds. 

I admit to savescumming on this so I could see just what was or was not possible with the defensive setup and military force I had on hand.  On my 3rd attempt, I got one migrant in who ran through the crowd before I decided I had to shut the gates.  Unfortunately I decided this too late, and there were too many undead, one of them a were-bull zombie who punched the spine of a dwarf through their armor.

On the next attempt I was a little bit luckier.  I ordered all migrants into a squad (thanks, dwarf therapist!) and ordered them to run into the fortress.  3 got within sight of the hole before the horde descended on them, and even going into a martial trance was not enough to save one mighty warrior.  Of that lot, one migrant again managed to slip past the undead and make it safely into my fort.  The same one as last time: Fath Oslanmorul, a promising metalcrafter!  I decided to check DT to see just how agile this nimble dwarf must be.  What I found was that Fath didn't exist.  A metalcrafter by a different name was the last surviving member of the Migrant Squad.  How odd.  Wheels started turning in my head:  Same migrant both times...errors in DT's name display...able to pass by zombies unscathed...and, just to be sure, this dwarf has been a member of 5 different towns.

Yep, I have a vampire in my fort.

(How much "fun" I would have been in for had DT not shown me too much info?  Vampires in zombie-land.  What sort of fun should I get up to with this guy?)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:40:56 am by Hans Lemurson »
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2013, 10:08:53 am »

If a vampire dies of natural causes or killed by a goblin

Does he becomes undead again?

I finally found some tethadrite and silver, I'm planning on giving my marksdwarves silver crossbows so they can party better with the Undead FUN

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:00 pm »

Yep, I have a vampire in my fort.

(How much "fun" I would have been in for had DT not shown me too much info?  Vampires in zombie-land.  What sort of fun should I get up to with this guy?)

My understanding is the undead ignore him.  Let him hang around on the surface and dump dead caravan goods to your fortress. :)

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2013, 12:26:05 pm »

Ugg I started up a new fort on this challange and it met desaster in a most anoying way.   This time around one of the bioms I was in apparently was not a reanimate although it did have evil smoke, made the butchering of the pack animals a bit safer however.  However there was no convenient vein of clay or other material to sneak through so a frozen aquifer pierce was needed.   All started well, no flyers to bother my miner.  Got down to the aquifer and he was channeling out the first layer which if corse was turning to ice.  All was going to plan till he got to the last designated square.  as you may have guessed the moron stood on that square and didnt move as water flowed in and then icecubed him.  the real facepalm was I went ahead and savescumed back to the initial embark save... and managed to repeat that blunder.

and ya I abandoned that one.  while the smoke was nasty causing instant unconsiousnous then suffication with no reanimating undead the embark was boring.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:19:56 pm by Merendel »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32