Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32

Author Topic: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened  (Read 76474 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Pick Challenge - Reawakened
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2013, 12:46:18 pm »

On a somewhat related note, anyone have experience what will occur if you seal in your starting seven to keep bad things away and migrants arrive, only to encounter !Fun! with zombies and die?

I *guess* I need to dedicate some space for engraving slabs for all of them so they won't turn into ghosts? Even if they never were technically part of my fort?

Yes. Dwarven caravan guards, merchants, and the outpost liaison can also become ghosts. The annoying part is that there's a bug that can cause a guard to be unmemorializable (doesn't show up on engrave slab list), and aside from a dfhack command there's no way to get rid of them that I know of (maybe a lucky fell mood, since I hear those can target and kill ghosts).

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2013, 03:54:43 pm »

One they're on the map, you need to memorialize them.  The one dwarf you can't memorialize, as mentioned above, is caravan guards.  Because of this, use tweak clear-ghostly on them when they show up.  I don't consider that a cheat since you literally can't fix the problem and it's a bug.

On FurnaceClans, however, the next video is posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1eu9a7XEP0

I walk you through the build out of my waterfall, we find out just how nasty that dust really is, I drop a bunch of rocks on Edge's head, and we have begun a magma forge.  Surface population increases to 80+ undead due to failed ambushes.  Sound is a little... wonky in the beginning.  It's not too horrible (or if it is, you'll tell me, I'm sure).  I've also found a tunnel nearly straight up for the magma lift to work in, so once that begins it should go smoothly.

I record and produce in 1080p so you may need to click the gear at the bottom and bring up your HD levels.

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2013, 09:05:57 pm »

Well, played through to the caravan. Accidents happened. So there are some not yet revived bodies on top the of place where the depot was, a path leading to that area covered in cage traps, and a raised drawbridge to the outside, but the caravan is gone, and I think the liason too.

About half of the first two migrant waves made it. Of course, the armorer that came got immediately destroied, but the glazier made it in safely.

Long story short, all of the first caravan contents are safely inside my fort. Hello picks and anvils.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2013, 09:18:33 pm »

How many dwarfs in total from those migrant waves?  Awesome that you were able to get up some dwarf-power. :)

What'd you make your cages from, wood from the cavern?  Oh, yeah, nice!

edgefigaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2013, 09:52:47 pm »

Wood from the caverns. I chopped down ~15 mushrooms and made ~10 cages.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2013, 09:57:58 pm »

Cool.  I hope to have Part 5 up here in the near future.  I've taken to editing as I work to make sure I don't run into further sound/display issues as I go, or at least can catch up nearly immediately.  Just need to compile the video.  We're up to 12 dwarves!  BREED you little heathens.  BREED!

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2013, 11:20:37 pm »

How do you know you're possibly overthinking a trap layout?  You start doing things like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2013, 02:14:13 am »

Well, you do apparently understand how to operate minecarts, so I'm not really sure on how to judge the complexity of that.  You planning a lot of traffic accidents involving corpse-destroying liquids?

I got lucky somehow in the particular biome I chose and haven't seen a titan yet, so I got my population up to 30 from immigrants.  It is now down to 24 due to various accidents.  I've learned an important lesson though: NO RESCUES.  If a dwarf is under zombie attack, trying to rescue him results in 2 more corpses instead of 1.

Also magma crabs are a pain in the ass.  One head-shotted a miner, and two members of the sock-retrieval brigade dodged into the Lava when they walked along the narrow rim of the tube.  Fortunately, no corpse is good corpse, and the reanimated miner dodged into the Lava too.  3 for 3.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 02:21:23 am by Hans Lemurson »
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 09, 2013, 03:08:10 am »

Well, you do apparently understand how to operate minecarts, so I'm not really sure on how to judge the complexity of that.  You planning a lot of traffic accidents involving corpse-destroying liquids?

Oh yes.  Geico will hate to insure my fortress.  It's like any other project, really, when you deal with minecarts.  You start simple, then you build in each bell and whistle one at a time.  In this case, it's a simple looping cart.  Looping cart kills undead, but doesn't destroy them, thus magma.  However, you still end up with bodies in the corners.  Now you need a diving pit to push the bodies into, filled with magma.  Now you need to get out of the magma and not have it spilling out with every collission, so you ... and so on. 

I'll go through it in Part 6... maybe Part 7.  I've got it laid out and finally got the fort up to where it'll be interesting to watch again.  Lot of tedious hauling and fussing with stuff in part 5.5 so I just ditched it and will go over the one or two interesting bits when I get Part 6 going.

Oh, wait, didn't I mention?  Part 5 is available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INrrZWrqkQs

I review the general maintenance of the fort, including the working cistern/dwarf scrubber.  I'm 99% sure all my random illnesses were from dust contaminations, and eventually the dwarves cleaned up the floors where it was pooling due to the waterfall cleaner.  The temporary lower magma sea forge is setup and shown, as is my magma minecart filler... along with a bit of a hiccup I show you my general methodology for filling magma carts and working with DWRs... which I overkilled with a roller that was too long and you'll see why.  I also describe a relatively painless way to get magma to wherever you want your forges without building intricate infrastructure to do so, using stockpiles and single stop routes.  Well, it's painless as long as you only need a few carts worth... if you're building a massive channel full of lava or filling your moat, you'll want to wait until I build out the infrastructure to fill the undead grinder to see how that works.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 09, 2013, 09:48:43 pm »

You had the dwarves carrying the minecarts as if they were really big buckets of lava, which was slow and took a lot of dwarfpower.  Is it possible to get the dwarves to push the carts up to the stocpile via a carved track?

Minecarts are really confusing for me, and I've only experimented with them a little bit in much more developed forts with plentiful labor and a lower price of failure.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2013, 10:46:26 pm »

You had the dwarves carrying the minecarts as if they were really big buckets of lava, which was slow and took a lot of dwarfpower.  Is it possible to get the dwarves to push the carts up to the stocpile via a carved track?
Sure.  It requires you mining out said track, and then carving the track.  At that point, you could automate the delivery with only a little more work.  If you only want one or two pockets filled though, it's a whole lot less work to just have them carry 'em up, as they're moving at about 1/2 the speed they would normally carrying the minecart when it's full.  I also do the same usually for carrying sand bags down to the magma forge... it's just not worth carving the track when it's just one dwarf for a month or two dragging the thing down there twice a year.

For something I need to happen three times, and only three times, per hole?  It's just not worth laying the track down.

Part 6 is going to be long.  I'm assembling the OMG (Overfiend Minecart Grinder) Torpedo Launcher and will be filling it with magma.  A LOT of magma.  The sea will feel empty because of me lot of magma.  And I plan to do it quickly. :)  In that I'll walk through an elevator that you can use to get a lot of magma somewhere quickly, but I'd recommend you read the walkthrough that's in my signature for a massive ore dropper if you want to know the specifics of the components.

Minecarts are really confusing for me, and I've only experimented with them a little bit in much more developed forts with plentiful labor and a lower price of failure.
Same for me, at first.  Then I finally knuckled down and built the monstrousity that's in my link... and realized they really weren't that tough after all, once you've experimented enough with them to get a general handle on their characteristics.  They require patience, though.  It's not something you just slap together.  You need to have a methodical plan to use them well, always have a cart escape built in, and test the design every so often to make sure each piece works correctly so you can adjust before you've got this roller-coaster monstrousity causing issues.  I don't know cart speeds like some folks do where I know what tic it will teleport on, I just know what usually works, and tweak it slightly one way or the other when it's not quite right.

Minecarts are possibly one of the most powerful tools in the hands of the dwarves.  Minecarts also should collect kill lists for a reason if you're not careful.  ;D

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2013, 01:37:20 am »

Oh gods.  More migrants...

I'm going to need a larger memorial hallway.  SARVESH!  We need slabs, NOW!  Get your new chisels out!  Mosus, blocks and doors can WAIT.  We need slabs!

Oh gods.  The carnage.  They walk onto the map one at a time... into this... mob...

Well, on a side note... PUPPIES!  My bitch got pregnant from a stud on the surface and has birthed five pups so far (2 litters), and one's a female.  Undead defense that's NOT my moody arsed dwarves!  ROCK!  Oh, yeah, and an undead drake I will probably never mention anywhere else.

Btw, this probably isn't going in the video.  Either I keep it concise for the OMG or it'll be Part 9 before I actually show you the thing working.  Besides, at this point, you know how I'm playing.  You don't need to see me make every rock pot.   :P  I'll introduce you to our fine selection of Forgotten Beasts (all but one parked in Cavern 1) as well at some point.

ITG: You're 96 years old and I expect another 50-60 good years of legendary metalsmithing out of you for the amount of time you HAVEN'T been doing anything other than grind-armoring.   >:(

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2013, 11:32:19 am »

Part One of my fort is up. Goes from embark to discovery of the cavern.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGKeNnZ9wnM

I was interested by the idea of caving in trees to turn them into lumber, but (at least on the surface) it doesn't seem to work: I dug space under a tree, then channelled around it to drop the tree into the hole, and the tree was just gone, no lumber.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2013, 11:43:34 am »

Hey there, very interesting thread

I have been playing since 0.28.181.40d and I never did a "proper" challenge, shame on me

But I decided to give this a shot if you people don't mind

There was a lot of FUN at the beginning of this, (besides the first 3 failed forts)
From the original 7 only the miner and two peasants remain useful, the first death was at the very start caused by some beast, (There are two biomes one is savage and the other haunting) two others were killed by a drafhta and a giant olm, and the two others are Insane 

Here are some pictures
We have found some water, the dorfs are gathering plants from the cave and built a wall to protect us from the lovely hostile serpent people

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2013, 01:31:16 pm »

Hey there, very interesting thread

I have been playing since 0.28.181.40d and I never did a "proper" challenge, shame on me

But I decided to give this a shot if you people don't mind
Not at all, the more the merrier!

There was a lot of FUN at the beginning of this, (besides the first 3 failed forts)
From the original 7 only the miner and two peasants remain useful, the first death was at the very start caused by some beast, (There are two biomes one is savage and the other haunting) two others were killed by a drafhta and a giant olm, and the two others are Insane 
ROFL.  Yeah, instant self-protection is necessary.

Here are some pictures
We have found some water, the dorfs are gathering plants from the cave and built a wall to protect us from the lovely hostile serpent people

Wow, so much open space.  Good luck!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32