Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Masters of Manipulation - Multiplayer RPG (Accepting Applicants in OOC Thread)  (Read 10277 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Masters of Manipulation - 4 Player RPG
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 08:16:53 pm »

((Hmm, its interesting how you kinda left a way for everyone to be either violent or nonviolent. I mean with me its just a bartender giving me weird looks, combined with what I'm guessing is a figment of my leprechuaness, and with Griffinpup you have a mugger that is clearly not a career mugger, pretty much a poor soul. Nice way to force some character establishment :P)

Liam looks from the bartender, to the little man, back to the bartender, craning his head back and forth repeatedly, wondering which one to get buddy-buddy with, but eventually his desire for some good booze wins out over his desire for a fight and he orders a tall glass o' whiskey.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 08:30:58 pm »

Stare contemptuously at the man in front of me, and then toss him my wallet.  While he's distracted by the wallet in the air, summon a void-dagger in my hand and ram it into his throat.  Use his dying life force to fully heal myself then manipulate the remainder of energy creating close-fitting body-armor that could be worn under my cloak without notice.  Sheath my knife, pick up my wallet and walk out of the alley.

((I do enjoy this first encounter))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 09:25:56 pm »

((and now we have established that griffinpup's character is a bigger psychopath then the guy who LITERALLY BELIEVES HES A LEPRECHUAN))

Indeed, I do this.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 09:55:49 pm »

((and now we have established that griffinpup's character is a bigger psychopath then the guy who LITERALLY BELIEVES HES A LEPRECHUAN))
(( maybe just a little...))

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 11:29:22 pm »

Trisha

Stand in the rain for about 30 seconds, then knock. When he answers the door look very sad and helpless and nicely point out that it's raining and almost bedtime and that there's no way I can possibly walk miles into the city. Ask if I may spend the night. Smile and be nice. And persuasive. Express appreciation for all he's taught me, and assure him that after tomorrow he won't see me again.

Once inside, thank him, dry off, and rest. Wait for him to go to sleep. Wait about an hour after he starts snoring. Remove my clothes, then stealthily approach his bed. Grab his throat, and once it's in my hand, burrow my fingernails around and behind his larynx, and tear it out. This should render him unable to speak. However, due to the rather large hole in his neck serving as an artificial air passage, bypassing the mouth completely, asphyxiation won't begin immediately, but rather not until pulmonary edema sets in from blood inhalation. Therefore, I should probably have as much as a minute or so of him flailing about like a helpless fish before he loses consciousness. Use that time to engage in whatever preparations are necessary to properly and efficiently channel all his life energy into manipulation. And also, incidentally, to keep a safe distance should he try anything.

Channel all of his life energy into making myself beautiful.

If he should happen to wake up, or has wards protecting him while he sleeps, or if for one reason or another the attempt is thwarted, then crawl into bed with him as if that was my intent all along. Removing my clothes serves two purposes: it keeps the blood out of them, and it makes crawling into bed with him seem more plausible and distracting. Either way, again...once his defenses are down, tear out his throat and proceed as above.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 09:46:56 am »

((OK.  Low bucket's dude is WAY more messed up then me.))

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 11:05:31 am »

How do you figure?

Korgoth killed someone who tried to rob a stranger only out of desperation and starvation. Trisha killed someone who had not only treated her badly for quite some time, but who had also just kicked her out into a cold, rainy night miles away from civilization despite knowing full well that she probably wouldn't survive the walk through the swamp.

And despite all this, Korgoth expressed pleasure in the act of killing. Trisha did not.

Why am I the worse one?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 11:51:05 am »

How do you figure?

Remove my clothes, then stealthily approach his bed. Grab his throat, and once it's in my hand, burrow my fingernails around and behind his larynx, and tear it out.
Might have been that part....

Indeed, I do this.

ppllmmqqaazz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »

I patch the man up, as best as I can, and bring him back to my cabal for further assistance. Once he is doing well enough for conversation, I ask him what he was doing all the way out here, and how he became injured.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 01:32:54 pm »

Umm...

Korgoth killed in self-defense, after he had been threatened with a knife.  He used the life force he got to make armor.

Your girl killed a dude that'd treated her like dirt, NUDE.  Not only killed him, but ripped out his throat with her bare hands.  You could have grabbed a knife, but no.  And then used the life-force to become beautiful.

I see at least a few differences.

And don't misunderstand me, I'm ok with however you want to play your character.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:24:20 pm by griffinpup »

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »

Relax everyone.  I hope to continue the trend of character establishing moments and I don't want you all judging one another every time we have one.

Well... IC you can judge all you want after you meet but OOC let's play nice.

Edit: also it's a bit of grey morality.  One person's life is threatened, another lost all possessions and risks having to start life with nothing, another's hideout might be discovered by the government and lastly we have a person being told what to do by something else they don't understand.

Edit:  Grr forgot to give you guys *Perception* skill.  20 perception for all, hurray!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:29:02 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 11:13:50 pm »

Year 100
Month 1 Day 1
21.10 Hours Galactic Time

Spoiler: BFEL (click to show/hide)

After a moment of consideration, you look at the bartender and order a “tall glass o’ whiskey”. The man nods and takes 5 copper for the drink before walking away to prepare it. Your gaze returns to the miniature you who seems to be turning a bright shade of violet at the moment. Just when you think it’s quite possible he’ll start screaming or explode, he instead bursts out into maniacal laughter.
   “HAHAHAHAHA, well played there buddy. I suppose there wasn’t much to gain from violence here except a good amount of entertainment. Plenty of other chances in the future to hurt people and there’s a few too many witnesses here anyway.”
He shrugs for a moment and plops down on the counter in a sitting position.
   “So what exactly is the plan buddy?  Drinking is well and good but you aint really accomplishing much sitting here at the bar are you?  I suppose there must be something useful you could doough, eh?

The bar tender returns with your drink and plops it down on the counter spilling a tiny bit. He then proceeds to wash out a mug with a rag, all while still eyeing you with a look either curious or suspicious.

Spoiler: Griffinpup (click to show/hide)

You stare contemptuously at the man in front of you. He seems about to speak again when suddenly and without warning you toss your coin purse high up into the air. Your would be assailant’s eyes in turn follow the purse’s arc through the air, leaving him totally distracted and unprepared for what happens next. Calling upon your power of Manipulation, you attempt to summon a dagger out of the air. (Roll 9+1=10) This succeeds just barely costing you 10 health for your new +1 dagger.

Spoiler: Combat 1 (click to show/hide)

Now armed and slightly more dangerous you rush towards the assailant still distracted and looking upwards. With perfect accuracy and power, you drive your knife into the enemy’s throat, cutting it open and severing the neck vertebrae from the rest of his body. There is no time for him to scream or react in any way as his now lifeless body tumbles to the ground like a ragdoll, leaking large pools of crimson blood onto the wet dark street.
   Taking the opportunity to heal yourself, you drain energy from your fallen enemy and mend the wounds sustained from your Manipulations. (Roll 1 + 1 = 2)  Unfortunately you are less successful healing than you were creating your dagger and when trying to absorb his essence, you instead hurt yourself (1 damage) and completely destroy the dead man’s body.  At least you found your coin purse afterwards.

Spoiler: Lord Bucket (click to show/hide)

The rain beats down roughly all around you turning the ground into a muddy mess. Regardless, you patiently wait counting out thirty seconds in your mind. Turning around you knock on the door and prepare your best sad face. The old man opens the door and looks down at you with a look of complete annoyance on his face.
   “What are you still doing here?
   You flash a kind smile at him and break into your explanation of how you only wish to stay the night, including various compliments and other subtly persuasive words into the mix. (Roll 2 + 3 = 5 + 1actingnice – 1grumpyman = 5)  Unfortunately he’s having none of it and abruptly slams the door in your face. That certainly didn’t work out as well as planned but it isn’t a complete loss. Breaking the door would be easy using some clever Manipulation and there’s a few windows that could also be entered in through as well; one in the main room near the front door and another in the kitchen.

Spoiler: Ppllmmqqaazz (click to show/hide)

There isn’t much you can do to heal the stranger without first looking at his wounds and using some Manipulation on him. Doing that probably isn’t a great idea until you’re out of the freezing cold. You throw the person over your shoulder and walk back to your base which fortunately isn’t very far off. Upon arriving you are greeted by the two fellow cabal mates, Svik and Venlighted (Ven for short). Svik is the younger and shorter of the two brothers but arguably the brighter. Ven is older and taller by a few inches but otherwise they are identical with pale skin, blonde hair and light blue eyes.
Ven’s eyes grow wide when he sees what you are carrying over your back and he runs over shouting,
“What are you thinking bringing a person back to our hideout? We can’t let someone with knowledge of our base go back to civilization! Just think of all the trouble that could bring down on our heads!”
Svik more casually walks over, eyeing your cargo with obvious interest.
“Calm down Ven. The person is unconscious and it would be easy to blindfold them so they can’t see anything if we feel it necessary to do so. Let’s take a close look at what we have here and then decide on our course of action.”
You plop the stranger down on an empty bed nearby and all of you gather around as you proceed to remove the fur clothing from the stranger. After removing the outer layers you find to your mild surprise that it is actually a female under the suit. She has long dark black hair, dark blue eyes and is still unconscious. Her wounds aren’t life threatening and with some sleep and food later on she should easily have a full recovery.
   “So…” chimes in Ven, “What exactly are we going to do?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:22:55 pm by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 12:31:39 am »

Couple questions:

Name: Liam Macteeger
Equipment:  +2 green suit, +1 green hat

orders a tall glass o' whiskey.

Name: Liam Macteeger
Inventory: 5 coppers

...how did Liam have no money, then give 5 copper to the bartender...and then end up with 5 copper?

Name: Trisha
Persuasion: 30
subtly persuasive words into the mix. (Roll 2 + 3 = 5 + 1actingnice – 1grumpyman = 5)

1) What was the target value for success?
2) So...die roll is free, and every 10 points of attribute grants a +1 to relevant rolls?

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2013, 01:05:56 am »

Everyone started with 10 coppers which is basically 10 dollars but I forgot to add that into the first post and rushed the second one out because I'm kind of busy lately and wanted to keep this moving.  Yeah I honestly forgot to put in a few things into some of the posts. You'll see I also added encumbrance and protection stats I think.  If you don't have the 10 copper in your inventory now, I'll add it in later.

Off the top of my head, I believe it's 1-4 complete fail, 5-9 fail, 10-16 success and 17-20 complete success. That's rolling a d20 plus skill/10 then plus or minus stuff for other factors depending on the situation. Skills level up when you use them 1/2 times your current skill level but I might change that if it seems too hard.

The whole rule set is a work in progress and I'm making it up myself. If you guys want I'll post all the rules I have so far but they are subject to change as I try and tweak them to make the game more fair.

Also don't worry about waiting forever to get into that house.  Not all turns have the same time progression. The next turn should be about an hour instead of 10 minutes because no one is involved in combat currently.

Edit: No one hesitate to ask questions about stuff you don't understand. It's kind of confusing mechanics and I know I was a bit vague when explaining some of it in spoilers.

Oh also for all your information, I use that D&D dice roller online to roll for you guys.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:15:34 am by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7