Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WW2 thread, mainly queries.  (Read 2047 times)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 thread, mainly queries.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 03:10:02 am »

You had that Japanese diplomats in one of the Baltic country that handed out tons of passports too.
Yeah, Chiune Sugihara handed out visas to Lithuanian Jews so that they could go to Japan and spent most of the day writing the Visas.

Giorgio Perlasca was an Italian who basically lied and said he was the Spanish Representative in Hungary helped save over five thousand Hungarian Jews. At one point in time he took two Jewish children who were getting on the trains and, while completely ignoring an SS LT. Colonel, put them in his car and then told him that trying to get the children back would cause a diplomatic incident. Raoul Wallenberg who was with him then told him that the LT. Colonel was Adolf fucking Eichmann, one of the major organizers of the holocaust.

Albert Göring, younger brother of Hermann Göring also did whatever he could to help Jewish people survive by basically going "I'm Hermann Göring's brother do you REALLY want to arrest me?" Sadly after the war his deeds weren't recognized and he was generally not treated well.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 09:26:51 am »

And on the opposite side of the world, you had the Nanking Safety Zone, where a dozen or so foreigners led by John Rabe set up a 8 square-km safety zone in an attempt to protect as many Chinese citizens of Nanking as he could from the Japanese as they invaded and brutally sacked the city, and he did it under no greater authority than "I am a Nazi, now shove off."  It didn't quite work as well as it could have since he had absolutely no authority or actual safe haven for them to escape to, but it still saved a lot of lives (credited with 200-250k people).  Just to top things off, he then went from Nanking to Berlin with documentation of the Japanese war crimes in an attempt to appeal to Hitler personally, counting on the Fuhrer's morality and sense of humanity to help him make the right choice. 
Yeah, well, it's not like he knew about the Holocaust in 1938.  He was arrested by the Gestapo and released on good faith after the company he worked for intervened to protect him, but at least he was able to preserve the evidence he brought. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:09:47 am by Culise »

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2013, 07:52:10 pm »

In the military Bill Millin was the only man to play bagpipes through D-Day and he did so through the whole invasion. He went to the largest amphibious operation in history armed with bagpipes and a knife. Also Jack Churchill. Just Jack Churchill in general. Only confirmed kill with a longbow in WW2.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2013, 09:58:20 pm »

In the military Bill Millin was the only man to play bagpipes through D-Day and he did so through the whole invasion. He went to the largest amphibious operation in history armed with bagpipes and a knife. Also Jack Churchill. Just Jack Churchill in general. Only confirmed kill with a longbow in WW2.
His quote from the end of WW2: "If it wasn't for those damn Yanks, we could have kept the war going another 10 years.", reminds me of 2 people from Catch-22.
Captain Piltchard and Captain Wren, the inoffensive joint squadron operations officers, were both mild, soft-spoken men of less than middle height who enjoyed flying combat missions and begged nothing more of life and Colonel Cathcart than the opportunity to continue flying them. They had flown hundreds of combat missions and wanted to fly hundreds more. They assigned themselves to every one. Nothing so wonderful as war had ever happened to them before; and they were afraid it might never happen to them again.

Oh and I guess the story of Pavlov's house qualifies.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:03:58 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 [2]