Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to go about a mass genocide  (Read 806 times)

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to go about a mass genocide
« on: February 29, 2008, 07:07:00 pm »

I have over two hundred non "trained" animals, which basically means everything except war dogs. Now saying i want to keep the 50 or so cats because i love cats, i still have 150 horses, cows, bulls, donkeys, and camels that are only killing my FPS and causing eye-bleedingly painful traffic. A few years ago, i ordered every one of those cows, foals, donkeys, horses, bulls, camels-everything-to be slaughtered. We're still not done, but they have been reproducing faster than we can kill them all (i have several butcheries running full time). I'm trying to think of a way to kill all but like 2, and cage the last 2 (male and female) just incase for what ever reason i want more.

I can't think of any good ways to kill them all at once or in any quick fashion, though ive read about these buildings or platforms people build, and then collapse, killing everyone inside or around it? Maybe that would work, but does anyone else have any other effective methods that aren't as dangerous to the important entities in my city?

Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Zirallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to go about a mass genocide
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 07:30:00 pm »

Why don't you build a couple cages and stick all the animals in them until they can be slaughtered. They don't reproduce in cages. You can put multiple animals in cages too. I think I've got 40 in one cage right now and every time one of my war dogs pops out pups i shove them in the cage as well.

ColonelTEE3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:55:00 am »

Hm, never knew you could put that many animals in one cage. I'll try that, thanks.
Fikod Rulushzasit Alis Mozir, Mace Lord has grown attached to a fox

leather coat

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:09:00 am »

Personally, I prefer to make a pit with four small drawbridges against each wall, hook them up to four different switches, put all the animals inside....

and play hungry hungry hippos.

Ah, good times, good times.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:12:00 am »

Hi!

Well, if you can put all the animals in a single cage (or a few cages), couldn't you then chasm that cage or dump it into magma or some other nasty place?

Deathworks

(Yes, I can be quite nasty as long as the kittens are not hurt :) :) :) :) :) )

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:02:00 am »

code:

___
  I
~~~~
 L| []
~~~~~~

~ Ground
I Support
L Lever hooked to support
_ Floor tile
[] Cage

When the lever is pulled the support gives way (iv never done this but i think thats what happens when you link a support and pull the lever?) the floor will fall crushing the cage and the animals.. Im not realy sure that would work.. Not sure if a falling cealing will crush things like cages... I would test it out but I have had no time for df lately exept for the occasional adventure.

-edit- Oh and you can put as many animals as you want in cages... Its unlimited.

PS.  

quote:
Originally posted by Zirallan:
<STRONG>They don't reproduce in cages.</STRONG>

That isn't true at all. Inleast not for me when I play.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Mulch Diggums ]

ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Anti-Paragon:
<STRONG>Personally, I prefer to make a pit with four small drawbridges against each wall, hook them up to four different switches, put all the animals inside....

and play hungry hungry hippos.

Ah, good times, good times.</STRONG>

This is an awesome idea.

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

To add some extra fun, set up a room with pressure plates set up to trigger when a friendly unit walks over them.  Link those pressure plates to the various smasher-bridges.  Drop almost every creature into the main pit.

Drop one into the control room.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mulch Diggums:
<STRONG>That isn't true at all. Inleast not for me when I play.
</STRONG>

I'm pretty sure that, while they can give birth in cages, they can't get pregnant in cages, so if you shove them all in a cage you'll get some more births, but if you shove those kids in the cage you won't get any more after that.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

Yeah. Just shove them all in one cage.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 02:35:00 am »

Those are all a lot of work. If you have a cliff nearby (including the mouth of a volcano or anything more than a half dozen tiles in height or so) just define a pit zone at the edge of it, and then mark all the animals you want killed. Your dwarves will haul 'em out, and give 'em the old heave-ho, problem solved. After a minute or two of setup, my dwarves are busy at work slaughtering the hundreds of animals that were causing even my Quad-Core 2.4GHz machine to chug.

Incidentally, cats always land on their feet, but it doesn't help them much if you drop them from high enough.

The only downside is you might feel really bad about it. Watching a stream of dwarves haul hundreds of kittens to a cliff and toss them off in troubling, even if the kittens just are lower-case "c's." There's a stream of vomit leading to the cliff, too - I don't think my dwarves like the job much either.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: Teiwaz ]

Black Line

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 03:29:00 am »

Clown cages ftw.
elp build Alabelina click >here<
Here have a cookie

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 04:50:00 am »

On a related topic, for removal of pets, use a long corridor with several raising bridges and a small room at the end of it behind a "no pets" door.  Draft the dwarf with a pet and station hir in the small room.  The dwarf will arrive first and the pet will follow but will be stopped by the door.  Activate the bridges and crush the pet to death.  Rinse and repeat until all female pets are dead.

This can really cut down on the number of kittens you need to butcher in the first place!    :)

The giant bridge came down ker-splat! on top of the pets, and that was that.

[ March 03, 2008: Message edited by: John Johnston ]

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

what do you mean they don't reproduce in cages?

I have cages walled in with a few doors that are not pet passable, so when they breed in the cage and the babies pop out, they can't wander around. Their icons are on top of the cage. I have to continually task dwarves to put the babies in the cages.

The cages are situated near four butchershops because the animal population has become out of control there is so much breeding.

igless

Ergates

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

They can give birth in cages if they are already pregnant when they are put in the cage.  They won't, however, become pregnant whilst in the cage.