Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Couple of newbie questions  (Read 944 times)

donpost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Couple of newbie questions
« on: August 16, 2013, 12:53:09 pm »

Hi all, I just have a couple of questions I couldn't figure out for myself:

Selling wooden items to Elves is a no-no: does this include wooden barrels/bins full of other non-wood stuff? Does this mean trading with Elves is best left to later when you have metal barrels etc?

I had a Dwarf become Secretive and shut himself away in the Craftshop. He was sketching pictures of a skeleton and some cut gems. So I slaughtered an animal and looking at the Craftshop I could see the bones had been "tasked", so it was just the cut gems needed. I had a stockpile of about 9 cut gems sitting right next to the Craftshop but he just totally ignored them until eventually going into a melancholy mood and dying of thirst. What was I doing wrong?

Cheers for any help fellow Dwarfs  ;)

cdombroski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:36:11 pm »

Don't make metal barrels they're heavy and store less than a pot which would be lighter anyway. Make stone pots instead for your hippy trading endeavors. (Yes, trading wooden barrels will annoy them)

Your dwarf may have needed more bones (each stack only counts once). Or there may have been some issue with the gems (burrows, path, forbidden).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 01:52:20 pm »

A moody dwarf may require up to 3 of each thing on the list.  So, it's almost certain that your dwarf needed a second or third stack of bones.  Butchering another animal would have been the way to go.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 04:01:51 pm »

elves also get annoyed by wooden bins, but there too it's better to just trade them without the bin than to make metal bins. Since that is not an option for stuff stored in barrels, the previously suggested  rock pots will save your bacon and other food stuffs
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:04:14 pm »

For further clarification, when a moody dwarf wants 3 bones, he doesn't see a stack as more than one bone.  He wants 3 stacks of bones, though the bone type doesn't have to be unique. 

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 10:37:46 pm »

rock pots for everything. Every civ will take the pots and I almost always have plenty of stone to spare. I haven't made a barrel in a very, very long time.
My carpenter does usually only two things: make beds, make bins. Oh, and once he's really good, make about 40 shields. from what I understand, the material of the shield doesn't matter other than the weight.
As a fellow newb, I have found a few things that made a few things smoother. Trade prepared food; if your farmer is busy (and solely dedicated to farming) you shouldn't really run out of food ever. Store it in rock pots so you don't have to worry about offending the hippies. Use the trade surplus to buy a variety of food from traders. You will get what you need and then some.
Order steel anvils from the liaison. They will always be a set price and they will not have quality designations to increase costs. If you are really hard up for steel, also request toys, instruments, crafts, and all of the other dumb things you won't really need with the hopes that they will be made of steel and of low quality. Melt every one of these things down.
Fuel! As a newb, I would HIGHLY suggest you bring with you at embark one coke bar and several chunks of bituminous coal. Volcanoes don't grow on trees and the magma sea is a long way down.
Be aware of the power of traps, bridges, and levers. Some times it is best to "turtle up" when things aren't going your way.
Booze is #1 priority. Period.

Ask questions, read the wiki, and read posts here regularly. Often the answer is just a few keystrokes away!
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 04:35:56 am »

Hi all, I just have a couple of questions I couldn't figure out for myself:

Selling wooden items to Elves is a no-no: does this include wooden barrels/bins full of other non-wood stuff? Does this mean trading with Elves is best left to later when you have metal barrels etc?

I had a Dwarf become Secretive and shut himself away in the Craftshop. He was sketching pictures of a skeleton and some cut gems. So I slaughtered an animal and looking at the Craftshop I could see the bones had been "tasked", so it was just the cut gems needed. I had a stockpile of about 9 cut gems sitting right next to the Craftshop but he just totally ignored them until eventually going into a melancholy mood and dying of thirst. What was I doing wrong?

Cheers for any help fellow Dwarfs  ;)

Everything wooden or made from wood byproduct ( ash, pearlash and so on ) are no sell for elves, even as decoration. You can still bring bins to depot regardless of material and sell what's inside of it, as long as it's not the bin and they otherwise meets that standard. Barrels are problematic since you can't sell just the content, but there're rock/glass/clay large pots or metal barrels. I'd not really worry too much outside of remembering to not sell wood, soap or glass better than green glass as general rule of thumb, also no invader materials since they can have wooden decoration.

Dwarves don't usually want cut gems, they want rough gems. That's probably what happened to you, it's pretty easy mistake to make.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:37:42 pm »

sometimes I get lucky and have a trader at the depot when the moody dwarf needs something I don't have
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

donpost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 04:27:35 am »

Thanks for your reponses  :) Sorry it took so long for me to acknowledge the help but this game is VERY...distracting.

I think the dwarf just needed more bones then. Since then I haven't had any problems getting them what they want - the crazy sods!

Sounds like rock pots are the way to go. Wood is really at a premium for me, hopefully we'll hit sweet sweet magma soon  8)

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:56 am »

rock pots for everything. Every civ will take the pots and I almost always have plenty of stone to spare. I haven't made a barrel in a very, very long time.

I didn't realize you could store booze in rock pots. Do they hold as much as barrels/bins/bags?

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 10:30:17 am »

Large pots have double the capacity of barrels for storing food and they weigh only a quarter of one barrel of the same material.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 11:18:46 am »

I didn't realize you could store booze in rock pots. Do they hold as much as barrels/bins/bags?

Pot have more than twice the capacity of barrels, any large pots will store drinks and foods. Clay pots will need to be glazed first, though. Pots can't replace bags or bins, it don't stores non-food items nor powder/leaves on their own.

Wooden large pots are my favorite, it's lighter than barrels and have more than twice the capacity :D

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 04:59:11 pm »

Pot have more than twice the capacity of barrels, any large pots will store drinks and foods. Clay pots will need to be glazed first, though. Pots can't replace bags or bins, it don't stores non-food items nor powder/leaves on their own.

Wooden large pots are my favorite, it's lighter than barrels and have more than twice the capacity :D
Pots made from fire clay do not need to be glazed to hold liquid.  Also, I like that idea about wooden pots, I never thought of that!
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 05:47:51 pm »

Pots made from fire clay do not need to be glazed to hold liquid.  Also, I like that idea about wooden pots, I never thought of that!

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Earthenware Just checked, only pots made from this kind of clay need to be glazed, my mistake, I don't uses clay for pots much :D

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 06:27:45 pm »

"This kind of clay" being all usable clays but Fire (since Clay Loam is just soil & Kaolinite's a rock).
Pages: [1] 2