Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How fast does lava fall?  (Read 565 times)

a rhesus macaque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How fast does lava fall?
« on: February 29, 2008, 06:39:00 pm »

How fast does lava fall?  I'm trying to design a fireplace/chimney system, and I'm thinking of having a pressure plate just outside the fireplace so every time a dwarf deposits a log inside, it causes lava to be released from several stories up.  I want to know if my dwarf has enough time to walk away before the lava hits.

Another question: how many Z levels will smoke rise, if it's going up a narrow column?

Thanks!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How fast does lava fall?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

Smoke goes up as many levels as it goes sideways.  Same with miasma.  And anything.  Gravity isn't really taken into account.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: How fast does lava fall?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:50:00 pm »

As long as Magma has no Pressure, Magma will Fall as fast as 1*1*1 (xyz) Tile of Water.

For Safety build under the your Chimney Horizontal bars or better Grates with a channel back to the magma or somwhere else. Over the Fireplace at the entrance of the Lava Build a hatch or a floodgate linked to a lever. At the Fireplase build vertical bars that are linked to another lever. Make sure that the Bars are only open then the Magma is cuted of.

By this way your Dwarfes can safely place a log in the chimney or you can kill gobs etc. if you put theyr cages in the Chimney.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.