Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I trade animals with the Caravens?  (Read 987 times)

Argonseal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do I trade animals with the Caravens?
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:11:56 am »

I have already build the necessary amount of cages and stored my desired animals (tamed) within it but I have no idea  on how to proceed from here. I have checked the wiki but I still have no idea on how to trade animal livestock.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: How do I trade animals with the Caravens?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:18:21 am »

butcher them and make prepared meals, it raises their value. More seriously, I don't know either, but in my case mainly because selling life animals is less profitable than selling dead animals in processed pieces (including bone crafts & totems. Bone bolts if you need bolts)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:09:06 am »

If you want to trade the actual animals out, deconstruct the cages they're stashed in so it's availale to be hauled and traded.

As above, it's more recommendable to butcher and process them since it massively increases their trade value.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 08:27:31 am »

Selling caged creatures
If you want to sell an animal, you need to assign it to a constructed cage first (see above) and then deconstruct the cage by querying it and pressing x. You can then select the cage in the trading menu.
Note that only tamed animals can be traded safely. The dwarf assigned to hauling a container will look through its contents and chuck out anything that can't be traded. In the case of cages, this means anything sentient - including such nasties as cyclopes.Bug:4065 Letting such monsters loose in the middle of your fort is good fun.

Argonseal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:23 am »

:o Ah so it's much more profitable to butcher them than to trade them when they are alive huh? Kinda confusing really since I was expecting them to have more worth when they're alive.

Ah well more blood for the blood god than.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:56:04 am »

well, there might be some exceptions, but to take a few examples.. A cave croc, worth 750 urists as pet value. However, it has a value modifier of 4 and at least 20 bones (assuming you have a full grown one). If all those bones are made into lowest value crafts they'll still be about 40 each, for a total of 800 urists, and that is not counting cave croc roasts

Closer to home the story pretty much repeats. A sheep has a pet value of 100, but its 8 bones, 4 hooves and meat products are worth more than that when taken together, even at lowest quality end products. It does assume full size again, so the growth stuff needs to be adressed if they're fortress born animals
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:30:51 pm »

:o Ah so it's much more profitable to butcher them than to trade them when they are alive huh? Kinda confusing really since I was expecting them to have more worth when they're alive.

Ah well more blood for the blood god than.

Pet value's usually pretty low relative to even creatures that only give totem ( which can hit 120 bux on masterwork piece for lowest value creature ). Could think of it that way, you've put the work into splitting and processing the stuff, so it's worth more to haul away for less wasted weight and travel fodder to keep them alive :D

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 03:54:17 pm »

good point. Yes, it takes more work. On the other hand, a decent cook or bonecrafter will spit out meals/crafts at a tremendous rate, so it's not that much more effort

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:15:30 pm »

Well, it does absolutely make sense.

Buying a Cow is cheaper then buying the prepared meat is cheaper then buying some ready made food containing said meat.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:52:22 pm »

Ah, but with a pair of cows, one might gain an infinite number of calves, from which one might gather an infinite number of bones, which could be processed into an infinite number of crafts, which one could sell for infinite profit.

Fortunately for the player, other civ's don't realize this.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 03:40:34 am »

If you have a large population of animals that you just want to get rid of, you can still stuff them all into a single built cage, deconstruct the cage and sell it to the traders. This way, they no longer eat your FPS _and_ don't block your entire hauling train through the whole butchering and processing jobs.

Buying a Cow is cheaper then buying the prepared meat is cheaper then buying some ready made food containing said meat.

Not to mention that you can put slaughtering products into prepared foods that wouldn't be marketable on their own :P