Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas on securing the waterfront part of my fort?  (Read 409 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas on securing the waterfront part of my fort?
« on: August 15, 2013, 11:09:06 pm »

I've got the land portion of the area secured, which takes up about a quarter of the embark area, the rest is lake. I'm planning on turning invaders back on soon, but I'm not exactly sure how I'll go about securing the waterfront. I'm actually planning on making the aboveground part of the fort be entirely or almost entirely above the water, or something.

Mostly I'm just worried about sieges with the waterfront, but my initial idea is to make some floors and put some bridges on the edge. Or maybe I can just put floors and wall it off or something.

Also, for the land entrance, I read somewhere (here or on the wiki, I forget exactly) that I can just make some grates or something above the entrance there and pit some animals over the grate (got plenty of dogs for that) and they'll detect ambushes or sneaking thieves below, but I'm not exactly sure if I have the right idea.

Edit: I thought wagons could go over traps? Apparently not since the human caravan couldn't access it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:16:33 am by smjjames »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas on securing the waterfront part of my fort?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:14:05 am »

remember that wagons won't path over traps, so if you want wagons at your depot you near a clear shot to it. three tiers of traps is almost certainly overkill anyway; invaders generally try to take the shortest path, so the outermost tiers are unlikely to get triggered very often. and maintenance of a big trap hallway that far away from your fort entrance will be seriously risky; your mechanics will be hauling rocks and cages for so long after any given attack that they're liable to get killed by the subsequent wave.

i almost never try to secure any portion of the outdoors- once you've cut down the trees, there aren't very many useful things that dwarves can do outside that they couldn't accomplish just as easily underground. dwarves and pets pathing around big open spaces is also a framerate killer, or so i've been told. Flying creatures like rocs and invaders with flying mounts will go right over those walls, too.

my recommendation would be to move everything underground and get your trade depot as close as possible to your main staircase to save on hauling. a barracks full of angry dwarves with sharp thingies at your entrance is probably a better defense than a long trap hallway. stonefall traps are a nuisance because they do lousy damage and have to be reset every time they're triggered, which usually means your mechanics will get tied up hauling heavy rocks. if you are going to use traps, consider using crossbow weapons traps loaded with metal bolts- they bring major hurt and don't require a lot of attention between attacks. cage and ammo stockpiles near your trap hallways are a timesaver.  i usually chain dogs in or near my entrance, below ground where marksmen can't shoot at them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 12:28:29 am »

remember that wagons won't path over traps, so if you want wagons at your depot you near a clear shot to it.

I just found that out when the human caravan had to bypass. I thought they did in a previous version. I dodn't remember how I did my fort defense and depots in previous versions.

three tiers of traps is almost certainly overkill anyway; invaders generally try to take the shortest path, so the outermost tiers are unlikely to get triggered very often. and maintenance of a big trap hallway that far away from your fort entrance will be seriously risky; your mechanics will be hauling rocks and cages for so long after any given attack that they're liable to get killed by the subsequent wave.
Well, in this case, unless said invaders have aquatic mounts, that IS the only path through.

i almost never try to secure any portion of the outdoors- once you've cut down the trees, there aren't very many useful things that dwarves can do outside that they couldn't accomplish just as easily underground. dwarves and pets pathing around big open spaces is also a framerate killer, or so i've been told. Flying creatures like rocs and invaders with flying mounts will go right over those walls, too.

Yea you're right, maybe I don't need such a big area.

my recommendation would be to move everything underground and get your trade depot as close as possible to your main staircase to save on hauling. a barracks full of angry dwarves with sharp thingies at your entrance is probably a better defense than a long trap hallway. stonefall traps are a nuisance because they do lousy damage and have to be reset every time they're triggered, which usually means your mechanics will get tied up hauling heavy rocks. if you are going to use traps, consider using crossbow weapons traps loaded with metal bolts- they bring major hurt and don't require a lot of attention between attacks. cage and ammo stockpiles near your trap hallways are a timesaver.  i usually chain dogs in or near my entrance, below ground where marksmen can't shoot at them.

Not to mention that the stone traps tend to get messy with the rocks since they get left there and the mechanics don't use the rock that is right at the trap. Besides, I haven't played DF in a long while and haven't gotten around to military yet. I tended to rely on lots of traps to maul the enemy.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 12:30:43 am by smjjames »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:01:29 am »

Yeah, trap blocks wagon route since the version that added minecarts in.

Titans and forgotten beasts can swim up the ramps, or even water holes, as I've found to my annoyance often enough. You'll have to wall off the waterfront propertly, though fortunately mounts able to go underwater are either rare enough or too stupid to not drown their leader.

Trapped open entrance can still work, it'd just have to make a 'long' pathway for wagons to go through and 'short' route for invaders to grind themselves through.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:29:58 am »

Yeah, in the past I used the same trapped entrance as the wagon entrance.