Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GKeys?!  (Read 399 times)

portablesounds

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
GKeys?!
« on: August 15, 2013, 08:48:25 pm »

Hey guys! Just wondering if there's any use for gkey binds for dwarf fortress. Out of all the games I could think of, the complexity of this game makes it a very good candidate for these keys. I have the Logitech G510s Gaming keyboard. It has 18 gkeys and 3 modes, so I have plenty of keys to work with. Thanks!

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: GKeys?!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:09:40 pm »

what is a gkey

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 10:42:48 pm »

what is a gkey
Best just to google the keyboard he mentioned but in short they are programable macro keys built into the keyboard.

OP just like any other game you could program the Gkeys to handle any repetitive task that involved multipule keystrokes.   However what one person would assign to those macros will varry greatly from what someone else might.   Personaly I have the G15 first revision, the nearly identical predicesor to your keyboard.  I dont have anything assigned to the Gkeys for dwarf fortress.  I find that once you learn the shortcut keys its faster to just type it out than reach over and find the right hotkey for it.  Its rare to have more than 3 characters to type to access any particular command but theres more than 18 I use regularly.

about the only thing I use the Gkeys for is a single macro key I've setup that I change on the fly if I'm needing to repeat the same command over and over for a particular job.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 11:39:46 pm »

what is a gkey
Best just to google the keyboard he mentioned but in short they are programable macro keys built into the keyboard.

dedicated macro keys? help i've fallen into a time warp to 1983 save me Wang Glossary