Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traders cannot access depot? Wagons don't come?  (Read 1011 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Traders cannot access depot? Wagons don't come?
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:51:56 pm »

I got this trade depot and It worked fine for the entire time until recently, and the only changes I did was I added 3 weapon traps. Does this change their route? Should I dismantle the traps?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traders cannot access depot? Wagons don't come?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:06:44 pm »

Wagons can't pass over traps. However, if you were attempting to make it safer, my advice is to build a path that snakes around and through the current one, and line the gaps between the crossings with traps. So it kinda looks like a $. This will cause the wagon to snake through, while causing invaders to take the shorter path.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:47 pm »

What I was gonna plan (can't do that now cause I realized the bedrooms are underneath) was create a pit full of traps leadingto the fortress and above it will be a bridge or two and it will only go up during attacks
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:54:01 pm »

I normaly setup my trade depot as an airlocked side entrance.  Main entrance is traped to high heven (or deepest hell take your pick).  Side entrance with the depot in it has a draw bridge between the inside of the fort and the depot and another one between the depot and the outside.   When waiting for traders I have the inside one shut and the outside one open.  Once traders are at the depot I shut the outside and open the inside so dwarves can trade.   Safe, secure, and no potentially compromising security situations just so the traders can get in.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 06:57:43 am »

You can use shift-D with depot built to see the wagon access.

Yeah, weapon trap blocks access now, they're still usable if you have enough access from elsewhere, though.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 07:02:49 am »

Traps only block access to wagons though, so elven traders can cross them.
Another thing to try is the ramp exploit:
Code: [Select]
Z0
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WW   WW
WWRRRWW
WWWWWWW
WWWWWWW
WW   WW
WWRRRWW
WW   WW
Z+1 is just a 3-tile wide corridor starting from one ramp and stopping at the other.
Only wagons can go through such an entrance.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:32:28 am »

Z0
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WW   WW
WWRRRWW
WWWWWWW
WWWWWWW
WW   WW
WWRRRWW
WW   WW
Z+1 is just a 3-tile wide corridor starting from one ramp and stopping at the other.

So, do invaders not go up that way and bypass the traps? I'm not entirely convinced that ONLY wagons and not invaders can go up there.

gabrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 08:37:29 am »

I avoid this problem by ensuring a paved, 3 tile wide path with no traps or obstacles and walled off from the sides directly into my trade depot, which is safely tucked into the side of an active volcano.
When a caravan arrives, I ensure maximum profits by providing every visitor with a nice hot bath and a shallow channel full of beautiful iron floor grates for them to enjoy. This method is so effective, my trader never even needs to go outside, and foreign visitors are so delighted by their treatment that they'll leave a gift of every magma-proof item in their possession, deposited neatly in said channel! This even works on those jerk-arse fish dissectors, milkers and animal caretakers that come to trade from the Mountainhome, without causing any "rebellions" or "separatist factions." I'm telling you, hot baths are the way to go.

Wagons are the only entities that can discern the location of your traps. Everyone else just blunders blindly over them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 03:57:03 pm »

Z0
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WW   WW
WWRRRWW
WWWWWWW
WWWWWWW
WW   WW
WWRRRWW
WW   WW

wait, wagons don't need a wall next to the ramp to use it? in that case, no, invaders can't use it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 04:39:09 pm »

Z0
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WDDDDDW
WW   WW
WWRRRWW
WWWWWWW
WWWWWWW
WW   WW
WWRRRWW
WW   WW

wait, wagons don't need a wall next to the ramp to use it? in that case, no, invaders can't use it

What about other traders? If they can use it, so can invaders.

I tried to see if I had the right idea, however, fluoman, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong because apparently the other traders can. Though I don't know whether it's that they can leave via there, but not enter. I haven't had a chance to test with a wagon because I was moving the depot (that was before I made this test setup) and the traders arrived a bit earlier than I thought. It'll be half a year before the humans come with wagons.

Edit: Okay, when some of the guards started trying to path around the wall, they went back the way they came, so they can go either direction.

Edit: Oh you mean this: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Wagon ? So it only works in a north/south direction?

Edit2: After some testing, I understand it now. Checking about west-east though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:56:41 pm by smjjames »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 02:53:37 am »

and no, since it only works for wagons, the other traders path around it, over the weapon traps. Yes, invaders can do that too, but it hurts them

since it was in your post and you didn't really answer it yourself
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 03:17:19 pm »

Hum yeah, sorry for dropping out and not following this thread, I could have answered some of these questions.
The Science comes from this thread.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 03:25:36 pm »

No problem about it, I got it figured out with a bit of experimentation.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 04:07:06 pm »

I find this is the best way to figure things out in this game.

RtDs!