Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do dwarves and animals born in fortress grow to mature size?  (Read 1237 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Do dwarves and animals born in fortress grow to mature size?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 09:14:50 am »

if you have everything turned into glob, that might explain the first pig giving little return. It produces only half as much of what is required to get a full blob, the next pig butchered fills it up to full, similarly to melted metal being 'saved' in the smelter untill there is enough for a whole bar. Possible?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 05:55:47 pm »

For what it's worth, if you don't feel like using the Ruby script but do have DFHack, you can simply go into the lua interpreter and enter this (and then let ten ticks pass) whenever you want to fix all existing creatures:
Code: [Select]
for key,my_unit in pairs(df.global.world.units.active) do if my_unit.relations.birth_time > 0 then my_unit.relations.birth_time = my_unit.relations.birth_time - (my_unit.relations.birth_time % 10) end end
(I hope I copied that down right; I reproduced it from memory just now, having fired off just that command myself a while back.) I can't really take credit for it -- I worked off of Putnam and Kurik's scripts, the explanations in the DFHack thread about what's actually going on and some online Lua references to boil it down to something I could merely type into the interpreter and get the effect needed. For what it's worth, you can confirm that it truncated the birth times of fortress-born creatures to the nearest-below ten ticks by running this before and after:
Code: [Select]
for key,my_unit in pairs(df.global.world.units.active) do print(key, my_unit.relations.birth_time) end
The Ruby script has the advantage that it should be able to be repeated regularly by DFHack and started up automatically on game launch. My method is simply a fairly easy way to go in and manually fire it off when you feel it would be helpful.

WARNING: I take no responsibility for screwing up your fortress if either of us makes a nasty typo. Double-check your work before sending it to the machine. Double-check my work before sending it to the machine.

And yes, I'm one of those annoying people who writes complex chains of shell commands on the fly to accomplish stuff that most people would look online for a program to do. (I suspect their way is faster, but my way means fewer programs to uninstall when I'm done. But I digress.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 06:15:49 pm »

Thanks everyone. This thread is now locked.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 05:56:17 am »

Same here.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 06:00:46 am »

just pretend it's locked
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 12:32:18 pm »

Wrong, another fix exists; transform the dwarf into something for a single tick and when the untransform they're their appropriate size ;)

Wouldn't this also heal all their injuries?  Or am I just confused?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 04:04:36 pm »

Wrong, another fix exists; transform the dwarf into something for a single tick and when the untransform they're their appropriate size ;)

Wouldn't this also heal all their injuries?  Or am I just confused?
It would... but its still a fix nonetheless!

someone12345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 05:41:47 pm »

I clicked lock, but it did not lock. I might have clicked something else by mistake. I will lock it now.
GENERATION 26:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime
Pages: 1 [2]